my Polaris Seaplane maiden flight

bikerboy

Hi guys,

I finally completed my Polaris yesterday and got to maiden it.

As you can see... I really enjoyed the way it handles.

Thanks for watching.
Romeo

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Congratz, very nice model !

do you think its safe to use it in a Lake ?? i live in front of a lagoon but i have to drive to the Club to fly my planes ... im considering Floaters or seaplanes .......

Last edited:

bikerboy

Thank you guys,

The fuse was covered in tissue/wbpu for waterproofing, the paint goes very well on that.

As for using it on the lake... go for it, I'd use it everywhere, grass/snow/ice/water. Just make sure you know when the battery is about to quit so you have it over ground and not in the middle of the pond.

Also, about the maiden flight, I'd say it went like we have known each other for a life time! It flies like a dream!

Here's a pic to see it better :)

polaris.jpg

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey bikerboy,
Congrats for the maiden!
I´ve had this plane on my list for a while already but never actually got to the point to say, come on let´s build it now.

But I guess your video proofed that noone can do anything wrong with this! Great plane. My question just is, what power setup you used. I´ve seen the RCG thread on this but your motor seems kinda small to me.

bikerboy

Thank you again for the kind words!

colorex: To balance it is a breeze, the belly has a step to help it take off from water, the CG is right on that step. It balances well with the two batteries I have tried, one 1300 and the other 1000 mAh. I'm waiting for a bigger battery, around 2200 mAh to extend the flight times which is about 4-5 min / battery now. To check for balance is also easy, just set it down and see if the center is right on the step.

anas: The motor I'm using is a Turnigy 2826 - 2200kv from HobbyKing. At around 340 watts and about 1000g of thrust for a 600g bird, I think I have plenty of power. Most of the flight was at about 40% throttle to save the battery and the couple of slow takeoffs at half the throttle.

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
bikerboy, very nice! great looking plane, great flying......very graceful, looks like a very fun plane to fly. :)

Eric

bikerboy

Eric, thanks, I've build about 10 planes over the last 6 months since this bug bite me and I have to say it, this is my favorite so far. It just feels right and as you have seen.

Can't wait to try it on water.

Romeo

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Eric, thanks, I've build about 10 planes over the last 6 months since this bug bite me and I have to say it, this is my favorite so far. It just feels right and as you have seen.

Can't wait to try it on water.

Romeo

Make sure you post some vids of the flight off of the water :)

Eric

bikerboy

I bet the 120% is great, I have to limit myself to the original size since it is already a handfull to transport in a small car.

Eric, I'll sure do that!

PaulT

Mentor
Very nicely done. I too just finished building one and will be maidening it this week.
If it flies half as well as yours, I will be very happy.

bikerboy

Very nicely done. I too just finished building one and will be maidening it this week.
If it flies half as well as yours, I will be very happy.

Thanks Paul,

As long as you have the power setup and the CG where it should, it will perform.
Prepare to be amazed!

Good luck with the maiden and don't forget about a video.

PaulT

Mentor
Check out my build blog, I think yours looks a bit nicer. My only maiden so far has been doing donuts on the trampoline.
Hurricane force winds this week and wishing that it would either just get cold enough for snow or just be nice for a spell.
The CG is extremely easy to figure out because of the huge battery compartment.
I modified mine quite a bit from the stock set up, with a KF2 foil and laminated wings.
Again, very nice work on yours...

bikerboy

That's a nice build there Paul, I like your dark wings!

I know at some point I was thinking about adding a KF type step, but in the end I went as per original plans. Mine came a little chubby at 620g AUW (with 1300 mAh Lipo). But it handles well so no complaints.

I remember seeing your trampoline and thinking how nice that would be as a launch platform and touch and go games.