My Quad Build with MultiWii Controller

voipmonkey

Hi Guys
thought i would start a new thread for the progress of my quad build, soon after my tri build (Still tweaking this) i finally started my QuadX build.
Simple 3mm Ply and 15mm x 15mm Arms. I have made this quite small as i want something to challenge me when flying.
The arm lengths are all 12"(305mm) keeping the frame quite small.

Centre Plates 1

IMAG0067.jpg

Centre Plates 2

IMAG0065.jpg

Main Frame

IMAG0064.jpg

let me know your thoughts will get motors added soon not sure how to mount them yet (Bolt or Tie Wrap)

and i am still building the Wii Based flight controller (All parts not here yet)

I am going to use a MWC Shield from Flyduino and a Arduino Pro Mini for this build. I have a Nano V3.0 but pins are not right for the Shield so i think this may become my tri control board (Own Shield) if this works ;)

Mark

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Looks nice, And 30 cm arms make for a sporty and fast thing to fly as you say. Top speed is probably still the same, but the agility is much larger with shorter arms.

voipmonkey

exactly what I am after I guess I may build another with larger arms for doing some Ariel video in the future but for now something to have some fun with.

voipmonkey

My Wii Motion Plus turned up. Tested it on wii seemed to work so took it apart :)

IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

this is a WMP V3.0 which looks different to the original WMP.

Looks like this might be wired different too. Oh well it was a cheap clone from ebay :)

Mark

Attachments

• IMAG0073.jpg
    IMAG0073.jpg
    968.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

voipmonkey

Nice build monkeyman !
I've build a similar alloy quad.
Best one i've had ..
Very powerfull with the 35-size motors.
Too bad I sold it.

Check this:

http://flitetest.com/forum/showthre...ames-the-prototype&p=6497&viewfull=1#post6497

I have many more pics from that build if you want.
Mark.

Looks good burg. how did you create your power harness for 4 motors? when i built the tri i found it quite hard to get three wires in one connector so i am guessing 4 will be a mare. Any ideas?
Mark

voipmonkey

Did some research and yes this is different and requires different wiring.

Different Connection Points

ITG3205 MP-V3.0 I2C connections.jpg

Completed Mod

ITG3205 with pins.jpg

Mark

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Looks good burg. how did you create your power harness for 4 motors? when i built the tri i found it quite hard to get three wires in one connector so i am guessing 4 will be a mare. Any ideas?
Mark

I simply use the XT60 connectors that I had fitted on the esc's.
Made a loop wire and cutted small pcs of silicone out of the main wires.
Soldered short wires paralell from there to each esc.
This way you can easily use shrink tubes as well.

Very easy to connect/disconnect and use for other quads afterwards.
(why did I sell this power house ...)
Greetz, Mark

IMG00045-20110709-1449.jpg

IMG00053-20110709-2305.jpg

IMG00055-20110709-2306.jpg

voipmonkey

Thanks burg great idea! I took the decision last night to drill and bolt the motors to the arms as you have :)
i like the idea using heli landing gear too looks good. I might borrow my skids from my 450 as i think they might fit my small frame? we shall see. Give me a excuse for an upgrade to the heli :)
More pics to come
Mark

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
i like the idea using heli landing gear too looks good

Hi Mark,
Good choice !

I sold this quad but missed the landing gear.
Ordered a new set and now they come in black (600 size)
Man, this is cheap :cool:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11713
+
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11714

450 size landing gear was too weak but yes, perhaps great for your smaller frame..

Like to see more pics from your setup !
I started using the HK contr board but this didn't do it for me.
Used an old FY-90Q controller and that worked perfectly for a while.
Ended up with a KK Blackboard.

I have the parts to build a Wii + WMP + Aduino Pro Mini.
Looking at your pics I should get the soldering iron heated up again :)

voipmonkey

still waiting for some bits i have the WMP and Nunchuck (sure kids wont miss it :s) i found a WMC shield for about £5 in france i think all in with 3.3v stuff to was a tenner. So waiting for this to come. I do have a HK V2.1 i bought which i could use but want to play really :)
washers have finally turned up so i might get a chance to have a play before i got out later (Beer :applause:)
will post later with updated pictures, will see if the 450 gear works :)
Mark

voipmonkey

Well ripped apart the Wii Nunchuck

IMAG0078.jpg

IMAG0079.jpg

Next step is to cut off the analogue side which we dont need :rolleyes: got to be careful not to cut any traces we will need. Only do this if yours looks like mine. Clones have a track that runs all the way around the board. Everyone of the clones are different so they say.
Mark

voipmonkey

Motors all ready to be bolted to the frame

IMAG0075.jpg

I think i am missing something! cant think what !! ;)

There is another motor round here somewhere I am sure

Mark

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
Are those Emax 2220/10 930kv motors ?
These have 1200gr thrust (!)
What are you planning to lift ? :cool::cool:
Sweet ..

voipmonkey

Hi Burg
Yes these are those motors :) found them at a reasonable price so i thought what the hell :)
nothing like lots of POWER !!! for my first quad lol

Manfet

Wow they have power. Up to 31A per motor. I hope you have good ESCs and a high C-rated battery.:black_eyed:
I fly my tricopter right now with a old 20C rated battery. Lets just say it is not a good idea. The voltage breaks in hard.

voipmonkey

Main Frame
IMAG0081.jpg

Skids
IMAG0082.jpg

Top Plate
IMAG0085.jpg

Well managed to get a bit more done last night before beer o clock.

not sure on the 450 landing gear though but i guess we shall see how it fairs. Just need the bits for my control board. I have the spare V2.1 HK board so might wire this in to see how she flys?

voipmonkey

Wow they have power. Up to 31A per motor. I hope you have good ESCs and a high C-rated battery.:black_eyed:
I fly my tricopter right now with a old 20C rated battery. Lets just say it is not a good idea. The voltage breaks in hard.

We shall see i am ordering a new one for it yes. going to test fly with 30c i have already so we shall see. As for esc's will have to see. Gone with Turnigy Plush 30A. i have been lead to believe will draw around 20A with 10.4.7 props so we shall see. if i need more thrust i can always go a bit bigger on the props.