My Simple Cub

Arcfyre

Elite member
Ok so this last weekend the weather was IFR and I decided to scratch build my first plane ever. I chose the simple cub because it looked like an easy build and an easy plane to fly.

I'll be honest it was a little crude. I got the foam board from Walmart and it was kind of hard to work with. I think I got the wrong stuff. Printed the plans full size at a UPS store and used them as templates to make the pieces. Despite all that building it was an enjoyable experience and the end result resembles an airplane.

I built it as a bank and yank 3 channel for now and will maiden as soon as the weather is a little less terrible. I'm eager to see if it flies.

I should mention that to power it I used a 1135kv motor and 40amp ESC I had laying around. Running a 3S 2200mah LiPo & gave it a 11x4 wooden prop because it's pretty. Seems ridiculously overpowered with this setup.

Will update this when I get it off the ground. IMG-20180416-WA0024.jpg

I think I'll call it the Dark Eagle

Last edited:

Arcfyre

Elite member
Dark Eagle was a stupid name. Not fitting at all.

20180417_132706.jpg

I think I'll call it the Damp Eagle.

After a short swim I was able to recover it. Surprisingly, no major structural damage. The electronics are also still working. So what happened?

Best as I can tell, my ridiculous powerplant ripped itself off the firewall. Too much torque I guess. I'll have to reinforce it before I try again. All in all, not a stellar maiden flight. More updates to come.

Gazoo

Dark Eagle was a stupid name. Not fitting at all.

View attachment 105652

I think I'll call it the Damp Eagle.

After a short swim I was able to recover it. Surprisingly, no major structural damage. The electronics are also still working. So what happened?

Best as I can tell, my ridiculous powerplant ripped itself off the firewall. Too much torque I guess. I'll have to reinforce it before I try again. All in all, not a stellar maiden flight. More updates to come.

Sorry your cub took a swim. But, I laughed so hard at your "stupid name" comment.

Please post when the Eagle flies again (slightly moist or not).

Arcfyre

Elite member
The power pod phase of construction is pretty important.

No argument there. No doubt the original design was meant for a tamer motor. I have since rebuilt the power pod with a thicker plywood front end, and through-bolted the motor mount to the firewall.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Sorry your cub took a swim. But, I laughed so hard at your "stupid name" comment.

Please post when the Eagle flies again (slightly moist or not).

Yeah honestly the whole situation was pretty hilarious. No point in any of this really if you can't laugh at the stupid stuff.

Turns out I lied when I said all the electronics survived. I am out one aileron servo which apparently never learned to swim, and I don't have a spare. Ordered some, and with any luck the Damp Eagle (or was it Moist Eagle?) will fly again on Friday.

Maybe I'll spend the next few days looking into that pontoon float mod. Lol.

Gazoo

I did the pontoons on mine. They work great in the snow. Maybe if water ever exists in its liquid form around here again, I'll give them a shot at the quarry. I'm guessing I'll need the kayak.

I wonder if anyone has tried Camp Dry...

Arcfyre

Elite member
In regards to liquid water, I hear you. Michigan isn't quite as cold as WI, but it was an unpleasant dip to get that plane back.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Ok so I tried to fly it again. Was in a field far from water of any kind, but the grass was very deep and I had to hand launch.

Gave it power and threw with a gentle upward angle. The thing took off vertically in a steep climb with a simultaneous corkscrew motion. It flipped inverted before my hand even got back on my transmitter.

I immediately reduced power and tried to establish level flight, but I guess I wasn't fast enough. It augered in and broke the prop.

Luckily the damage was minor and it's put back together for tomorrow.

I'm thinking the motor/prop combo is just overpowering this thing. Full power was a mistake on the hand launch. I'm going to try a smaller diameter & flatter prop, and a rolling takeoff at 1/2 throttle tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it off the ground and under control.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
I'm on Cub #2 and the first two flights for both lasted about 60 seconds combined. Think that's about 15 seconds per flight. I'm getting better though.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Ok so it finally flew! Was super nose heavy, even though I balanced it according to the instructions. Will move the battery back for the next flight, but I'm really glad that this attempt didn't end with me needing to get the glue gun out again.
IMG-20180421-WA0014.jpg