My son completes his first landing!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Not bad! :) Nosed over, but I'll attribute that to the grass reaching up and grabbing the plane. :) LOL

And I'm kidding, by the way. He's doing great so far; he should practice low passes so he can learn his line ups for the "runway", and he'll be nailing those landings solidly every single time! :)

James Powell

Not bad! :) Nosed over, but I'll attribute that to the grass reaching up and grabbing the plane. :) LOL

And I'm kidding, by the way. He's doing great so far; he should practice low passes so he can learn his line ups for the "runway", and he'll be nailing those landings solidly every single time! :)
Unfortunately, when I added the top wing to the old speedster to help with slow flight (Thanks for the inspiration Dr. Looping Louie!) it made it top heavy. Unless we land on a hard surface, it pretty much noses over due to the light weight and top heavy nature of it. But it flies great!

We just finished the 4 channel FT Explorer and maidened it today. I'll be flying it until my boys are ready to move up.

Huge thank you to Flitetest for making these moments possible!

bracesport

Legendary member
@James Powell @mayan - I too am working with my son to get him flying (he is currently 5yrs old so may take a while) - I have a buddy box set up and a heap of planes to crash, now we just need some nice weather on a non-school day - Luckily he is keen and we will start with our DL(TT)G glider which is ready to go - fingers crossed!

IMG_5862.JPG

James Powell

@James Powell @mayan - I too am working with my son to get him flying (he is currently 5yrs old so may take a while) - I have a buddy box set up and a heap of planes to crash, now we just need some nice weather on a non-school day - Luckily he is keen and we will start with our DL(TT)G glider which is ready to go - fingers crossed!
I'm using a buddy box system too. Love using it to take over when needed and then give control back.
View attachment 127559

Vimana89

Legendary member
I recognize that design! Good stuff. And nice landing, your son did very well, better than I do a lot of times. I still need to practice landing more. I started practicing it on my Hobby Zone champ, and now that a couple of my scratch builds fly consistently, I've been doing short circuits and landing with them too.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'll share my best landing so far(and the short flight leading up to it)here just for kicks. The approach is quite epic and the landing pretty clean, but so far, this is the exception and not the rule for my landings, and I'll admit I still need a ton of practice to get it consistent.

Tench745

Master member
Some of my best landings were with my dad coaching me through the approach. He's not an RC pilot, but does fly commercial jets. Wish we could do it more, some of my best memories are aviating with my father.
Your son is doing well. Looks to me like he's carrying too much speed through touchdown and could be much closer to a 3-point attitude with some practice. Might help with the nose-overs might not. Carry on, my good man, make some memories!