My son wanted to make a "Flite Test" Video

So I've started building the planes to get my build method down. I figure that I can work out my bugs and hang ups prior to trying to build something to fly.

My son has been watching the flite test videos with me and loves the show - so I've been giving the planes i build to him to play with. We decided to go outside and throw one - and he insisted on making a "flite test" video. Figured I'd share the results.

offaxis

Wow, what a great way to spend some quality time with your son! I do the same thing for now because I don't have any of my electronics yet.

mjmccarron

I "retire" all of my tattered and worn out DTFB planes by giving them to my 3 boys ages 8, 6, and 3. I usually have a ceremonial ripping of the electronics out and I use to balance them to glide using pennies or nuts, bolts etc. My 8 year old now does the balancing and has gotten quite good at it! It's a great way to spend quality time with them and teach them valuable skills. Your video, though it lacks technical content , is one of the BEST I've seen!
Happy landings,
Mike

pscherry78

That was great. My 6yo son and 8yo daughter have been flying the quadcopters I got for my birthday. Which may be the reason they have been repaired as much as flying.
I've been looking at the FliteTest plans, and trying to figure out where to start. This is a GREAT idea to just fly as a hand launch.

offaxis

My free flight FT Simple Soarer floated almost 100 feet on level ground with a simple toss. If you throw it to fast it will climb and stall. Get it just right and it will glide a long time. I have yet to try tossing it off a hill.

eagle4

Great video mate. if you're wanting to make some more, i strongly recommend you hold your phone sideways for your videos. it will look much better on every screen that isn't you're particular phone. (even other people's phones it will look better if its in landscape mode)

mjmccarron

The FT 22 makes a terrific glider with minimal ballast. I tape wire across the hinge lines to lock the surfaces and hold "trim". The kids get hours of enjoyment from one and it keeps flying no matter how ratty it gets.

offaxis

Yea, The FT 22 works pretty well. You can even discus launch it! Definitely reinforce the nose. I would recommend taping over the leading edges if your keeping the paper on. Also, don't bother cutting the slot for the prop if it is going to be a free flight only plane.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
That is AWESOME! My son is only 1, and I can't WAIT to take him out flying! I've already made him a few chuck-planes out of my scrap foam, and he loves 'em.

Good job dad! :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
"Hi I'm Reed, welcome to FliteTest." :-D

Loved it. I really need to find me a plane retrieval buddy.

I will definitely take the sideways video next time. Thanks for all the comments! I'll have to show him when I get home from work!

RoyBro

Mentor
Vertical Video Syndrome PSA

Great video mate. if you're wanting to make some more, i strongly recommend you hold your phone sideways for your videos. it will look much better on every screen that isn't you're particular phone. (even other people's phones it will look better if its in landscape mode)

Agreed...

:D