My sons and I have been a fan of the FlightTest channel for a while figured I'd join this forum

jerryn

Hi,

I've been fly model aircraft since I was 12 years old. From line control, to free flight, to R/C. I've shared the hobby with my sons. They are all grown up, one is married and they still go flying with me from time to time. In my current fleet of hobby fixed wings I have a RMRC Recruit, RMRC Mini Recruit, and Nano Goblin
I fly at my club's airfield in South Dartmouth, MA It's a tough field to learn at since the field is near the ocean, gusts over 24mph are typical. The challenge is variable winds. When the wind is variable you need to keep an eye on the windsock.

The model airplane that packs the most power and weight for it's size is my Mini Recruit. I am still trying the get the nano goblin to fly stable. I had a FRSKY S6R installed but with gyro sensitivity high or low... it is twitchy. It can fly it but if you find my video posted here you will see it takes off like a wild bird.
During most of the flight video I had flight stabilization off and was trimming the controls a bit. When a strong thermal hit I kicked in stabilization and tried to tune the gyro during flight.. too twitchy. So I turned it off and landed it in non stabilized mode.

I bought the Flight Test Aura 5 lite to give that a go. I've seen the flight test videos of the nano goblin with that controller. It looks great.
Does 6 axis just give a level flight and limit how much down elevon is applied ? On my bench that's what it looked like. 3-axis worked as expected.

Here's a video of the Maiden of my Nano Goblin. This flight is with the FrSky S6R with stabilization off.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome, man! :)

I have a Nano Goblin myself, and it's definitely a twitchy little flier. What are your rates set at for flying it? I've been running it with about 30% rates when I'm flying it full speed - more than that, and the thing wants to jump up and down at the slightest twitch of the stick. With regards to the gyro, how is it mounted? Any possible chance of vibration? It could be getting some feedback and causing it to be unstable...

I'm taking a stab in the dark at things that might be causing it, but those are my guesses.

jerryn

I have a Nano Goblin myself, and it's definitely a twitchy little flier. What are your rates set at for flying it? I've been running it with about 30% rates when I'm flying it full speed - more than that, and the thing wants to jump up and down at the slightest twitch of the stick. With regards to the gyro, how is it mounted? Any possible chance of vibration? It could be getting some feedback and causing it to be unstable...

I'm taking a stab in the dark at things that might be causing it, but those are my guesses.
PID was

I had the rates at 45% for that flight, The gyro was just a FrSky S6R. I had the PID low and the rate at only 20% because I read it can be a bit twitchy. The Nano Goblin actually flew better with the FrSky S6R stabilization disable. This saturday I am going to try again, this time with the Auro 5 lite. Hopefully it doesn't take off like a wild bird as you see in the video I posted. If the winds are gusting again maybe I'll just move the battery and make it more nose heavy.

The FrSky receiver was mounted right on top of the circle on the bottom on the fuselage.

I mounted the Aura 5 lite in the same location, same as in Josh's video.
Saturday I'm going to bring my RMRC Recruit V2, Mini Recruit, and the Nano Goblin