My story and the hunt for: Scale Foam , and DC 3 build

agates1967

Update:
I've been building and repairing. The mini Corsair got out of hand, and took a hard nosedive. So those electrics will go into another mini.
The DC 3 with the repaired main wheel hit the ground a little hard, but not catastrophic. I need to probably put on a whole new motor mount to get the gear mount strength again. A possible re-design area for S/N 002. It flew ok, but with the 5030 props it didn't seem to have enough pull. I was almost full throttle that whole flight.

I am getting better at the mini series planes, and put together the mighty mini mustang for my buddy's birthday...
Capture.JPG

The CG feels good, I'll let y'all know how it flies in his hands.

I'm building the FT Master P-47 right now, I may start a new thread for that one, since this one is about the DC.
I noticed the top wing surface had flap cutouts that weren't in the build video, and the bottom section didn't have the reliefs cut. So even though it looks like it flies slow and smooth in the vid, I wanted to try putting in some split flaps on the bottom side, and keep the top surface static. Here's a view of the bottom wing half with the flap surfaces cut...
Capture2.JPG

The flap servos are installed by recessing the foam on the inside of the bottom layer, leaving the outer paper skin intact, except for a slot for the servo horn...
Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

I will definitely need to figure out how they intended the gear to go on, belly landing with flaps sounds like danger.

If you think it makes more sense to throw my process here into a new thread let me know.

Cheers!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Update:
I've been building and repairing. The mini Corsair got out of hand, and took a hard nosedive. So those electrics will go into another mini.
The DC 3 with the repaired main wheel hit the ground a little hard, but not catastrophic. I need to probably put on a whole new motor mount to get the gear mount strength again. A possible re-design area for S/N 002. It flew ok, but with the 5030 props it didn't seem to have enough pull. I was almost full throttle that whole flight.

I am getting better at the mini series planes, and put together the mighty mini mustang for my buddy's birthday...
View attachment 148395
The CG feels good, I'll let y'all know how it flies in his hands.

I'm building the FT Master P-47 right now, I may start a new thread for that one, since this one is about the DC.
I noticed the top wing surface had flap cutouts that weren't in the build video, and the bottom section didn't have the reliefs cut. So even though it looks like it flies slow and smooth in the vid, I wanted to try putting in some split flaps on the bottom side, and keep the top surface static. Here's a view of the bottom wing half with the flap surfaces cut...
View attachment 148396
The flap servos are installed by recessing the foam on the inside of the bottom layer, leaving the outer paper skin intact, except for a slot for the servo horn...
View attachment 148397
View attachment 148398

I will definitely need to figure out how they intended the gear to go on, belly landing with flaps sounds like danger.

If you think it makes more sense to throw my process here into a new thread let me know.

Cheers!
I know myself and @The Hangar will be doing P-47's as well, we were gonna start a group build thread on it. If you want to start one and we could hop on it that would be awesome.

Nice progress on the wing so far, really clean cuts and I like the flaps idea.

agates1967

I know myself and @The Hangar will be doing P-47's as well, we were gonna start a group build thread on it. If you want to start one and we could hop on it that would be awesome.

Nice progress on the wing so far, really clean cuts and I like the flaps idea.

I should have some time to work on it some more this week, I'll try to get a thread going. I'll share the overlay I used to pattern and cut the flaps. I can digitize this to a pdf or something like that, but this was just hand-drawn...
IMG_20191119_093511.jpg

I picked up a couple of 1/2" steerable tail wheels, (google search "Du-Bro 926") will try to adapt one to the DC and maybe to the p47. But now thinking the latter might need something beefier though. The plan is to use fishing line to do the steering, should have plenty of strength and springiness to keep it from tearing up the servo.
21GEHFYFD9L.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 0

PoorManRC

Master member
That DC-3 is really impressive! 👍👍 very creative design, that should actually compliment the Master Series C-47 coming soon.
GREAT for the People who can't quite manage the advanced techniques. Personally I would leave this about as is, and then maybe advance with a different Version.
Just me...