My Tiny Trainer Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I got to go flying today. It was very windy. If you had asked me yesterday if I could fly in the wind today, I would have said no. I tossed a challenge at mayan though, to fly whatever the conditions, so long as it's not suicidal. He did it with his second try on the FT MINI SCOUT NEWBIE CHALLENGE! I had opportunity to step up and do my part of the dare. And I did.

My GoPro Hero 3 Silver let me down. It's done. I bought it long ago, and it sat on the handlebar of my motorcycle for many years through all kinds of weather. It's given up the ghost.

Lots of awesome flight with really crappy video. Synopsis: I crashed. I crashed. I crashed. I flew. I crashed. I flew frackin' awesome! I landed successfully. I flew even more awesome (did some stupid acro for the TT. I learned to work with the wind.) I crashed. I ran out of batteries and went home.

New camera on order. Here's a brief edited video of some stuff that happened when the plane was close and you can actually see it. Yes. Edited video. From me. It's not my thing, but the quality sucked so badly and I had to throw something up to show that I flew in some stupid windy conditions. Play it full screen and it's not as bad. Here it is:

It was a frackin' awesome outing. I can fly in the wind! Not only that, I can pull off some stupid, crazy stuff because of the wind! I am so disappointed that the videos are so awful. I asked my son to watch one where I was all acro and he said he couldn't see anything. Not worth uploading.

Refurbished GoPro 4 on the way. I couldn't find a 3 and all the inexpensive alternatives I looked at were crap. I've been smiling all night. I've been smiling so much, my mouth hurts. That's OK. That's glorious.

bracesport

Legendary member
You are on fire 🔥!! Sounds like there is heaps of speed on that prop! I’ve been running bigger and slower props that seem to work well on my bigger trainer, so when I get our TTs in the air we can see if it makes a difference!

mayan

Legendary member
You inspire me with your courage lot lately keep it up my dear friend. Tip of advice when flying in high winds like you did aileron control would have helped you a lot. Might try to consider moving on to 4 channels? Just a tip :).

BTW I started realizing that the fish eye lens of the go pro doesn’t allow you to get good footage when flying high or far. You have to fly really slow and close to get good footage. Looking for alternatives...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You are on fire 🔥!! Sounds like there is heaps of speed on that prop! I’ve been running bigger and slower props that seem to work well on my bigger trainer, so when I get our TTs in the air we can see if it makes a difference!
A-Pack. It's all matched to the plane. You can't go wrong with it. FT worked it all out for us. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, but there it is. My biggest disappointment with FT stuff is that so much is on backorder.

I'm not kidding when I said it was really windy and that little TT was better than my skill. The stuff I was able to pull off with that plane in that wind would be legend if my camera had been working correctly. I've a new camera on order and I'm going to back up my words with video.

I'm not boasting. It's not my skills I'm talking about (I don't have any.) It's the wonderful design of the plane and the pack that goes into it. The TT with the A-Pack is absolutely amazing to fly. The Bix definitely got it right!

Edit: In the interest of complete transparency, I should probably clarify and say that the TT with the A-Pack is still the ONLY plane I've flown...;)

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
aileron control would have helped you a lot.
One of the parts of the videos I cut out. I'm going 4 channel. Not with the Mini Scout. I just want it to fly. A lot. I intend to complete the Sport Wing for the TT and go four channel with the new transmitter.

Learn OpenTX? Finish a wing build? I suspect the wing will be finished before I figure out the trans. Both are going to happen.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well done! Looking forward to the 4ch version.
It won't happen tomorrow. But it will happen. Do you want to play?

I've got to learn OpenTX. It's going to take a while. Then I'm taking out a Tiny Trainer with a sport wing on four channel and then I'm going to get stupid.

I've got a challenge for you. Four channel TT and get as crazy as you're able. No limits on the electronics. I'll be flying stock.

The challenge will be to do the most crazy, acrobatic stuff your build and skill is capable of with a darn Tiny Trainer! Video is obligatory.

Why would I do that? Why would I toss that challenge out? For fun! Duh!

This one is kind of different. We'll need an impartial judge to say who's stupid stuff was more cool. Mayan is out. Hai-Lee is out. I'm going through so many names in my head, and I'm afraid they may not be impartial. I've got one, though. If she's willing.

Caroline? Are you willing to be an impartial judge of this contest, assuming FDS is willing to participate?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

I've got to learn OpenTX. It's going to take a while. Then I'm taking out a Tiny Trainer with a sport wing on four channel and then I'm going to get stupid.

I've got a challenge for you. Four channel TT and get as crazy as you're able. No limits on the electronics. I'll be flying stock.

The challenge will be to do the most crazy, acrobatic stuff your build and skill is capable of with a darn Tiny Trainer! Video is obligatory.

This one is kind of different. We'll need an impartial judge to say who's stupid stuff was more cool. Mayan is out. Hai-Lee is out. I'm going through so many names in my head, and I'm afraid they may not be impartial. I've got one, though. If she's willing.

Caroline? Are you willing to be an impartial judge of this contest, assuming FDS is willing to participate?
Of course!!!!! :D

mayan

Legendary member

@FDS take the challenge i'd love to see you both do crazy stuff.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I can get some video the moment the weather improves, my TT wing is tired but might survive some more acro.
You've got time for the weather to improve and to spruce up your TT. My transmitter won't even arrive until next week and then I've got to learn to program it. Like I said, it's gonna be a while. We've got a challenge. We've got an impartial judge (thank you Caroline!) So the next step is both obvious and hopefully waited upon: Anybody else want in? Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge. I'll start another thread when The Challenge begins.

The anticipation has me all :D:D:D:D! Darn. My mouth hurts again. :)

mayan

Legendary member
You've got time for the weather to improve and to spruce up your TT. My transmitter won't even arrive until next week and then I've got to learn to program it. Like I said, it's gonna be a while. We've got a challenge. We've got an impartial judge (thank you Caroline!) So the next step is both obvious and hopefully waited upon: Anybody else want in? Getting Stupid with the Tiny Trainer - The Challenge. I'll start another thread when The Challenge begins.

The anticipation has me all :D:D:D:D! Darn. My mouth hurts again. :)
You know me, I always appreciate a challenge, so count me in! Will be flying my black TT 4 channels, F pack motor, 3S 1000mah battery, 6x4 APC prop.

FDS

Elite member
Awesome. Will look at new wing options I think.
Are wing mods allowed? I am thinking of building my next wing with less dihedral.

For me I like to use a small iron for the hinge bevels. Set it on high and hold it at a 45 until the foam underneath melts to the angle. Takes just a few minutes to do, seems to seal of the edge and help stop delaminating, and leaves the paper intact on the hinge line. I use a cheap trim covering iron from my balsa plane days.

CapnBry

Elite member
haha @buzzbomb you continue to entertain, what's not to love about over-ambitious new guys like us trying to fly in whatever weather there is. "It doesn't sound so windy there (gust swats TT into the ground hard) oh. hahahah"

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So I was off today and had to drive a few hours for some custom shoe inserts. That's not important. What was is that I had time to think. Somewhere, mayan and some others have linked to a thread that has all kinds of Tiny Trainer modifications. V-tails and all kinds of stuff. Mayan came up with the SpiTTT. It's still a Tiny Trainer.

Let's have them all. Whatever mods you want, to make a FliteTest Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer get stupid! Three channel, four channel, nine channel, mod the wings or the prop or whatever. Take a TT and fly it like you stole it and you're on the joyride of your life and do not care if you (or the plane) survives!

The build has to start it's life as a FliteTest Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer. After that? Let's see what you've got!

That's a lot to throw at our wonderful judge. She's agreed to judge the challenge between myself and FDS, but to ask her to judge everything that everyone (I hope) will be throwing in the air is a bit much. So I propose a scoring system, where anyone can chime in and we'll just average the score. Something like the Olympics, only not as complicated.

The score is a 1-10 base, decimals allowed.
Points are scored for:
That's Crazy!
That's Cool!
THAT Takes Some Skill!
and finally:
You Actually Pulled Out of That? Successfully?

What do ya'll think? You wanna have some fun and play a little bit and let Caroline off the hook? I'm thinking that Caroline judges the contest between FDS and I, whenever it happens. Our flights however, get thrown into the pool with everyone elses and we can all vote on any flight but our own.

Let me know what you think about the scoring system, please. I've had time to think about it, but I'm not saying it's perfect. Additions or subtractions are welcome.

Let's go fly and have have some fun!

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's weird. After I got home today, this sort of happened:
IMG_0228.JPG

If it looks like a completed Sport Wing for the TT to you? You would be correct! It might take me a while to learn OpenTX on a trans that hasn't arrived yet. It doesn't mean I have to wait to start taking this baby up and playing around in four channel, to prepare for the challenge! My next day off is Tuesday, and my son's three batteries arrived in the mail today. Three batteries each.

We'll see what the weather brings. Booyaahh!!