My Tiny Trainer Build

mayan

Legendary member
Not the landing part. I have enough trouble landing the right way up.
My tip throttle down all the way and glider it in lining it up with your desired landing spot using the rudder while gently applying down elevator to bring her down.

bracesport

Legendary member
@kilroy07 - some great advice including - You should fly with the same throttle position. The plane (wing) doesn’t care what the wind speed is over the ground, just what’s going over it. And that’s how you see planes (RC and otherwise) flying just fine while their ground speed is zero (I’ve even seen real cubs fly backwards!).

This was my experience by accident - I started out on mode 1 and had an issue with using the left hand to drive the sticks - I am now on mode 2 and happy to have the aileron and elevator in my right hand - These days (BTW I'm still a nube) I launch the plane with enough throttle to stay airborne and then just concentrate on my right hand with a lot vocal coaxing to ensure right means right! :D

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
@kilroy07 - some great advice including - You should fly with the same throttle position. The plane (wing) doesn’t care what the wind speed is over the ground, just what’s going over it. And that’s how you see planes (RC and otherwise) flying just fine while their ground speed is zero (I’ve even seen real cubs fly backwards!).

This was my experience by accident - I started out on mode 1 and had an issue with using the left hand to drive the sticks - I am now on mode 2 and happy to have the aileron and elevator in my right hand - These days (BTW I'm still a nube) I launch the plane with enough throttle to stay airborne and then just concentrate on my right hand with a lot vocal coaxing to ensure right means right! :D
@kilroy07 is correct where the wind is constant in velocity or the craft are significant in size ans mass BUT even commercial aircraft can suffer from the variations in wind speed and directions from moment to moment.

My recommendation is to know your flying area and/or field and how the wind behaves and what areas are subject to turbulence and similar aberrations. At my local field there are two main wind directions when the wind is from the East the eastern perimeter is subject to severe turbulence including downdrafts and direction reversals, (especially close to the ground).

When the wind comes from the south there is general, (Field wide), turbulence but in addition there is an area where the wind is funneled between trees in a gap in the tree line. This gap, if you fly too close to it, will "Suck" your plane towards the trees especially if the plane is very light. Many newbies come to grief there! As it is again at one end of the field, (western end), it is the area where most turn into the wind to fly the upwind leg of their circuit. As you move into the wind away from the tree gap the headwind drops significantly in speed and again newbies often stall trying to not fly too fast for their abilities.

The funnel or vortex can be easily seen, (so to speak), if you fly through it as it will suddenly increase the side pressure on the vertical fin of your plane and a turn into the wind will commence. If you fight the turn and "Crab" through the high speed wind you need to be quick on the rudder or the drop in the cross-wind speed and your counteracting rudder setting could again see you parked into the trees! Another newbie trap.

My message summary is to get to know your flying area in all weathers and your planes will survive to fly another day! Yes I increase throttle to fly upwind but at our field it is a very wise thing to do especially if your plane is light and a little under-powered to start with.

Just the field I frequent!

Have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I like @Hai-Lee recommend to have at least a few spare parts for the parts you break often on crashes. This will help you continue flying while you are at the field. Ain’t anything more annoying then having batteries charged and nothing to fly :(.

Airtime and practice are key to success here and you need to get more of those under your belt. Hold the TT go crazy challenge and get some proper maneuvers under your belt that way when you go crazy at least you’ll be able to pull out of a crash.

Flying in hard weather is something everyone has to do. Like hai-lee said you can’t wait on the prefect day to fly otherwise you’ll be sitting on the bench waiting. Weather can’t be changed otherwise I’d make it sunny side up here all the time :).

Go to the field take a deep breath and go fly a TT. If it’s too windy fly 4 channels makes it easier to control at least that’s my thought.
I've got the spare parts. Not the spare planes. Everything else? I know this guy in Israel who only had three tries for a challenge. He took the second in the wind and rain, just because he wanted to fly. He failed miserably, just like he knew he would, but that didn't matter. What mattered is that he went out into the wind and rain and tried to fly a darn foamboard plane!

I did that today. I went out in the wind and rain. Only it was too much rain. The weather in SC can be finicky (nobody even predicted rain!), so I was willing to wait. I sat in my car, parked at my flying field, for an hour hoping the rain would let up enough to fly, but it only got heavier. By the time I drove home, it was pretty torrential. It's now past midnight, and it only recently stopped. *sigh*

I have a very odd thing for me coming up. I am off on a weekend day! I'm off Saturday and I'm going out again, and my son is going with me. We'll let you know how it goes! :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Then Saturday is a triple date? You, @kilroy07 and myself? Yes Yes Yes.
If I'm able to complete my Challenge flight, and my son his (which he doesn't know he's doing ;)) I'll add to it and see if I can fly inverted. I did it once with the TT the day I was flying in the wind. I never posted it because you can't see the plane in the video, and it was totally just the wind flipping me over.

I did, however fly for maybe three seconds upside down, before I rolled and looped out of it. If my plane survives the two of us getting Stupid, I can visualize how to make that three channel TT roll onto it's back and fly inverted. My thumbs can do it I think. For me, I'll have to be really high... But I'm in!

I wasn't invited into y'all's challenge. If my plane is still capable after what my son and I do to it, I'd like to be a part of it. Can I play, too?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
instead of taking spare parts I plan on taking 4 planes to the field (two of which are TT's) and hope I can get one of them airborne!
Alrighty, then! bracesport going all hardcore on us! Four planes to the field? You do realize that by posting that where you posted it, whichever one goes airborne has to fly upside-down, just for a few seconds, right? It's not my decision. You chose to post where you posted. You know, right after we all challenged each other to inverted flight? You did that all by yourself. Cool! You sly dog, you! :love::p:cool:

bracesport

Legendary member
@buzzbomb - where there's smoke there's fire eh!

If I can get mine in the air for more than a few seconds it will be a blessing - If I can then capture it all on film I'll be wrapped - if this was an intentional inversion I'd be a pro - but I'm a nube!

I build better than I can fly!

inverted.jpg

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@buzzbomb - where there's smoke there's fire eh!

If I can get mine in the air for more than a few seconds it will be a blessing - If I can then capture it all on film I'll be wrapped - if this was an intentional inversion I'd be a pro - but I'm a nube!

I build better than I can fly!

View attachment 127073
Looks upside down to me! I hate (love) when that happens! Oh, shoot. Nobody said video or anything. You may have just won this Challenge you bugger! You're the first to post proof. It's not my challenge. Others will have to decide. Ha, ha!!:LOL: That is so beautiful on so many levels!

I say again, it is not my Challenge, but as far as I can see, you're the first of us to fly inverted.

My problem is, I can neither build nor fly! You're already one step ahead of me! ;)

FDS

Elite member
I got my flight in, was a bit sketchy but I did capture it all. Editing later, will post as soon as it’s done. I did fly an inverted hover, it’s just going to be quite high up and thus the plane will be small.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
If the inverted challenge has been won there is one that I have not seen video of as yet!
A proper controlled and horizontal landing after which, (and without checking the plane for damage in any way), the plane is picked up and launched again immediately. After the relaunch the plane is brought in for a second controlled landing! That should eliminate those "Accidents"!

Just a thought!

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
If the inverted challenge has been won there is one that I have not seen video of as yet!
A proper controlled and horizontal landing after which, (and without checking the plane for damage in any way), the plane is picked up and launched again immediately. After the relaunch the plane is brought in for a second controlled landing! That should eliminate those "Accidents"!

Just a thought!

have fun!
Yeah, right! :ROFLMAO: I haven't had a "proper, controlled landing" yet! :LOL: If I get the bird upside down, and it's moving forward and I maybe, sort of recover from it? That's a win for me! :p

Last edited: