My Tiny Trainer Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I completely messed up the build. I glued the spar in the wrong place. Attempted removal via heat gun did remove the spar, but just destroyed the wing. I am not giving up. I am not frustrated. I will admit that I feel a wee bit of frustration, though! Such a stupid mistake! AAArrrrgghh!

OK. Scratch build time. I need a good polyhedral wing for that plane and I am darn well going to make one. I've got three sheets of DTFB left. I'll buy boxes of them if I have to. I am going to download the plans, print the plan, and build that frackin' wing! :mad:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just a thought that suddenly occurred... My straight wing is fine. I've got all the stuff I need to fly. What do you all think about my chances of a successful flight, first time out, flying the straight wing as 3ch or just saying "Go for it!" and fly it four channel?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Aaah. Self realization is a wonderful thing. I've got the stuff to make the plane fly. I've got a wing to put on the plane to make it fly. I'm not ready for four channel, but who says you can't three channel the straight wing?

I know it's not going to self-correct like the more forgiving wing that I'm wasting so much time on. I've got to put something I've built, into the air. Done deal. Next day off, the build re-commences, again. Yes, I know what I just wrote. It was on purpose. Recommence. Again.

Only now, it's all about CG, servos, linkages, horns and all the stuff to get that bird in the air, regardless of consequence. I've got DTFB and extra props. I'll use them if I have to!

d8veh

Elite member
A 3ch straight wing won't work very well because you'll have difficulty getting the wings level. You need either ailerons or the self-levelling that dihedral gives.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That's OK. I've decided to push on through my building block (Ha!) and build another Trainer Wing. The frustration has ebbed. I've made a couple stupid mistakes that make me mad, but I've built two other wings successfully. I can do this. It's not that complicated to build the thing, I've just got to stop getting distracted and making stupid mistakes.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A 3ch straight wing won't work very well because you'll have difficulty getting the wings level. You need either ailerons or the self-levelling that dihedral gives.
I learned to fly on a 4 channel plane. I never noticed that much difference between 3 & 4 channels. Ailerons are capable of authority, the fix, just turn down the throws. That is until you get used to them and want to have a little fun.

d8veh

Elite member
I learned to fly on a 4 channel plane. I never noticed that much difference between 3 & 4 channels. Ailerons are capable of authority, the fix, just turn down the throws. That is until you get used to them and want to have a little fun.
That's completely correct. If you have a plane designed for 3ch and add ailerons, it won't make a massive fifference to the way it flies, but ifyou take a plane that's designed for 4ch with a flat wing (no dihedral), it'll fly perfectly with 4ch, but will be extremely difficult on 3ch with the primary steering on the rudder.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I think what I'm stressing most is the fact I'm not flying yet. Today was an unusual day for a South Carolina Winter, it was beautiful! Mid-sixties F, no wind, high clouds. When I went out on break all I could think of is that I should be flying. Sure I was working and wouldn't be flying anyway, but I so wanted to!

So here we go. I'm working off of Sponz's plans, printed greyscale on cardstock. Today was another work day, only I wasn't the closer, so a lot less brain dead. I figured I could at least get the plans printed, tiled together and cut out. I did that.
IMG_0180.JPG

The Journey Continues. Plus! Added bonus! It's got a smiley face! :)

mayan

Legendary member
I think I am going to deadline you, so you finally finish the build. So by the 9th of the month you got to have the plane ready for maiden. And the the maiden you are going to do on the 10th which will be my birthday gift from you. :)

Arcfyre

Elite member
I think what I'm stressing most is the fact I'm not flying yet. Today was an unusual day for a South Carolina Winter, it was beautiful! Mid-sixties F, no wind, high clouds. When I went out on break all I could think of is that I should be flying. Sure I was working and wouldn't be flying anyway, but I so wanted to!

So here we go. I'm working off of Sponz's plans, printed greyscale on cardstock. Today was another work day, only I wasn't the closer, so a lot less brain dead. I figured I could at least get the plans printed, tiled together and cut out. I did that.
View attachment 121080
The Journey Continues. Plus! Added bonus! It's got a smiley face! :)

Hey man just looking at that picture it kind of seems like you have two left wings printed and tiled there. I may be wrong, but I feel like one of those should be mirror image of the other.

mayan

Legendary member
Hey man just looking at that picture it kind of seems like you have two left wings printed and tiled there. I may be wrong, but I feel like one of those should be mirror image of the other.
One is the glider wing the other is the sports wing. Although I might be wrong.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Looking at the plans, I thought the wing was just mirrored. One wing plan, flipped over for the opposite wing. I'll go back and look again.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It is mirrored. It's one wing labeled 1L|1R, meaning build two of them them and they are used for both the left and right. These are Sponz's plans. Screenshots follow. Links follow.

TT1.jpg

TT2.jpg

Direct link from here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oVzwqWwGZbeWNCN281S3JaOVE/view?usp=sharing

Here's the indirect:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/sp0nz-plans-index.17136/

Those plans are where I stopped until my day off tomorrow. After ya'll's posts, I realize I have no idea how to flip the second half of the wing and score it on the correct side. The printing will be on the wrong side of the plan.

Thinking about it, I suppose I could make dotted cuts on all the dotted lines, flip the plan over, so it's mirrored, and then draw lines through all the cuts to transfer plan to foamboard. I'm going to think on that while I go look at the FT plans.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I looked at the original FT plans, and the wings are spread across 19 pages. Trying to figure out what pages to print and how they tile would be an exercise in frustration. Unless anyone has a good idea, I'm going to try the cut all the lines and trace through the plan from the backside method of getting plans to foam.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
If you can tell me how, I'll do it now, brain dead or not! (y) I can turn the plans upside down in Acrobat DC, and then print. Will that do it?
Hey buddy I had the same issue I’ll flip the plan over for you during the day. And post it here.