My Tiny Trainer Build

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am down with any scoring system you all want. I am in for the fun. So you saying 3 batteries for each that sounds like a lot of fun time together :).
I've got them. Six total. Three each.
https://store.flitetest.com/tattu-3s-lipo-battery-75c-11.1v-850mah-tat-75c-850-3s1p-xt30/p635612

Those three are mine. I sourced his off of amazon, because they were on backorder at FT.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07576XLBX/?tag=lstir-20

I couldn't see buying another charger and a discharger. He'll be doing that in the day, myself at night. We should be able to share and have three batteries each to fly on the really odd days when our schedules now meet.

My goal is to spend as much quality time with him as I can, before July. His goal is to prepare for leaving home and entering Basic Training and getting on with the rest of his life.

In the middle? We'll meet and get stupid and have fun and make some memories.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
x
haha @buzzbomb you continue to entertain, what's not to love about over-ambitious new guys like us trying to fly in whatever weather there is. "It doesn't sound so windy there (gust swats TT into the ground hard) oh. hahahah"
So you're in, then? We can talk at the wind. Or throw a plane into the wind and have it swatted down. Or, just maybe, do some amazing flying. I chose to get swatted, and then I owned it. I've got so few flights under my belt that all the video is on icons on one side of my monitor! Three of those are my son's.

flights.jpg

Over-ambitious? Nah. I don't think so. I think we are just pushing ourselves to be better. I say "we" because I am not alone on this Journey. Join us. You have have progressed so far beyond the TT in your personal journey. Join us in the challenge. Build your version of the TT and let's get stupid! It's all for fun. Let's have some fun!

FDS

Elite member
My wing was looking seriously bendy today, I got two batteries of practice in for the challenge. Weather was far from perfect. I think I will have to build a new wing.

CapnBry

Elite member
So you're in, then? We can talk at the wind. Or throw a plane into the wind and have it swatted down. Or, just maybe, do some amazing flying. I chose to get swatted, and then I owned it.
I'm not sure I was clear on what the challenge is so I just went out and started flying around with my tongue out! Flew into the sun way too many times until finally I couldn't tell if I was coming or going and didn't need the wind to throw my TT into the ground!
Poor video quality aside, I did all my tricks between the two trees I set the camera pointed at, but all of them happened above the frame. I love editing in "4K" hatcam footage into my videos because you can really see how awful a $35 camcorder is compared to a decent mirrorless camera. You get the point though, like 3 rolls, a couple loops (the downwind one is great because the TT just flips end for end), a couple attempted wing overs-- a smashing good time. It could have flown again but I left the bag of props and rubber bands sitting on the counter at home.

FDS

Elite member
There’s some low level looping in there! The wing on yours is nearly flat? No dihedral?

CapnBry

Elite member
In part of the video I edited out, I actually say "Challenge mode means not being two mistakes high!" because I was hoping to catch it on the stationary camera. It was the first time I've flown the A pack motor on 3S since I got it so I was going much faster than I was used to. Normally I fly it with a 6x4 or 6x4.5 prop on 2S which is only 260g of thrust and this is close to 400g of thrust. I'm completely unsure how that plane which used to be 290g is now 380g, with 81g of that being battery. I think maybe all the repair glue and tape is starting to add up. :p

The wing does have the standard dihedral, I had to just go measure it because it does look pretty flat in the video preview but it is pretty close to stock still. My ailerons are also only at 60% throw, because I had the other 40% set up as flaperons in opentx. It is surprising to me just how sporty it is on 3S because of how well I know its behavior on 2S.

bigkan

what is the max size motor that can be used in this plane? I have a supo donar motor that was given to me .I think it its a 2200 kv. the copper colored on.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
what is the max size motor that can be used in this plane? I have a supo donar motor that was given to me .I think it its a 2200 kv. the copper colored on.
Unfortunately, I am not the one to answer that questions. HOWEVER, there is a challenge going on over here:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...rainer-the-challenge.57560/page-2#post-460061

The Challenge there is to do crazy things with the Tiny Trainer, and some of our family are really getting into the ideas. You might get some good answers if you post your question there.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You can use almost any motor that you can stick on the front but the real issues are the size of the required ESC and the size and weight of the battery to power it all.

Larger motors require very high "C" rates from small batteries or large batteries and the Tiny Trainer does not like being overloaded very much. If it gets too heavy it needs to fly a lot faster and due to the weight it looses its control agility!

By all means try it as it would help us all learn but do not be surprised if the TT struggles as the weight increases.

have fun!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The last crash did her in. I took her out for the Getting Stupid Challenge, and she couldn't fly. *sigh* I'll miss her, but she will not be forgotten!

IMG_0241.JPG

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh. Darn. I just realized that's it. That's the end of this thread. Shoot. How does one sum up living life and flying a dream? I did it in this thread. That is totally crazy, but if you've read through it all, you experienced it with me.

If you did that? Thank you.

Let's get on to some more awesomeness! What's next? It's got to be another TT build. I've got a challenge (or two or three) that I have to complete. Shiny, new TT on the way!

The Journey Continues. :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Looks like you harvested the servos, make sure they still are in working order.
Gently move them through their range of motion with your hands (un-powered) and feel for any hesitation and/or "grittiness".
Might have a stripped gear.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Looks like you harvested the servos, make sure they still are in working order.
Gently move them through their range of motion with your hands (un-powered) and feel for any hesitation and/or "grittiness".
Might have a stripped gear.
I checked them, they move smoothly. One however is significantly easier to move than the other two. Is that a red flag?

kilroy07

Legendary member
I checked them, they move smoothly. One however is significantly easier to move than the other two. Is that a red flag?
Maybe.... power it up with a servo tester (you do have one, don’t you?) and hold it just enough to give it some resistance.. what you are looking for is a place where it slips.

I had a $10 foam glider build that would not fly (in fact it nearly flew into a group at Flite Fest, they came over and showed me I had a stripped servo) make sure to check the whole range.... one side might be good, but the other can be bad. Looking back at your vid, it seemed to always loop.... so maybe a bad servo and not CG....

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Maybe.... power it up with a servo tester (you do have one, don’t you?) and hold it just enough to give it some resistance.. what you are looking for is a place where it slips.

I had a $10 foam glider build that would not fly (in fact it nearly flew into a group at Flite Fest, they came over and showed me I had a stripped servo) make sure to check the whole range.... one side might be good, but the other can be bad. Looking back at your vid, it seemed to always loop.... so maybe a bad servo and not CG....
Nah, the looping was me on purpose. Then she would just go out of control. The spiraling, that was not me, and I couldn't pull out of it. In a normal spiral, I'd just throw some elevator at it and correct the spin with some rudder input, but there was no helping it. Even when I managed to correct, she went right back down.

Nope, I don't have a servo tester, I'm centering with the trans and receiver. I can do the test you are describing, though. I'll get back to you.