Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Here are a few pics of my tri-copter, I started off with the basic format/idea created and generously shared by David Windestal at rcexplorer.se then made a few of my own changes as the build progressed. I am getting approx 11.5-12.5 min flights on a fairly old 2200 3s lipo.

(many many thanks to David, for all that he has done in the name of multi-rotor aircraft)

Hardware:

Flycam KK-blackboard

2830-09 (850KV) motors www.lazertoyz.com
20amp esc www.lazertoyz.com

APC 10x3.8 slow-flyer props
TX: Spectrum DX6i (DSMX)
RX: AR6115e (DSMX)
Tail servo: HiTech HS-65HB "mighty feather" (karbonite gears/25-30oz torque)
Flight batteries: 2200mah/25C/3s lipo
Camera: GoPro HD Hero 2

center section closeup.jpg front 1.jpg front 2.jpg tail back.jpg tail front.jpg

Last edited:

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Nice. Tail yaw mech looks tidy also. Did the drilling save much weight on the booms?

What servo have you hidden in there?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Nice. Tail yaw mech looks tidy also. Did the drilling save much weight on the booms?

What servo have you hidden in there?

Hey Glydr!

Thanks! She flies beautiful. :p

The tail mech is a 450 heli shaft mounted on bearings. (my friend Mike Bantz designed that part) works really nice.

Drilling the booms cut approx 35-40% of their original weight. helped out ALOT on flight time.

The tail servo is a: HiTech HS-65HB "mighty feather" (karbonite gears/25-30oz torque)

Cheers,

Eric

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
V E R Y nice shadow .. I like it !
Am I correct that this one is not foldable ?
How do you experiance the Flycam KK Black board ?
Did you flash it to v2.5 as well ?
Nice protective box you made there !

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Thanks for the reply Eric.

The tail servo is a: HiTech HS-65HB "mighty feather" (karbonite gears/25-30oz torque)

Cheers,

Eric

I've one of those servos sitting idle and am planning a DT750 tri ala RC Explorer V2.5. Though with a direct drive tail mech I'm thinking I need a stronger servo.

Is there a particular plan or guide for this setup?

Burg

Never catch a multirotor
I've one of those servos sitting idle and am planning a DT750 tri ala RC Explorer V2.5. Though with a direct drive tail mech I'm thinking I need a stronger servo.

After have tested several servo's I now only use Hitec HS-82MG with the DT750's (various yaw machanisms) and these work perfectly.

Klonas

Looks great!! That "landing gear" helps you to orientate better right?
Also the most important question: Is the yellow toy on the tricopter when it flies?

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Nice build Eric! I'm sure Snoopy's buddy Woodstock has fun flying around on your tricopter lol

Hey Pat!

Thanks a bunch I really enjoyed building it. Yes, Woodstock def gets some interesting rides. :) I have Snoopy riding on my Quad, so I thought it only fitting to put Woodstock on the Tri ;)

Eric

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
V E R Y nice shadow .. I like it !
Am I correct that this one is not foldable ?
How do you experiance the Flycam KK Black board ?
Did you flash it to v2.5 as well ?
Nice protective box you made there !

Hey Burg!

Thanks man! My tri-copter actually is foldable, I just have to remove a bolt on each side, and it folds right back. (kinda like 2 wing bolts on an airplane) I decided to build it this way just to give myself peace of mind that during flight it wont fold back on me, causing a crash. (paranoid about that I guess) lol I do have to sacrifice the part of it folding back during a crash, but here's to hoping that I fly much more than crash. :)

I am really enjoying the KK Blackboard, the mems gyros that it has, seem to really lock it in nicely. I bought it from KKmulticopter and i am fairly certain that it was already flashed to 2.5

I made the protective box out of balsa to keep it light weight, protect it (hopefully) if i ever have a crash, and also because I fly in light rain/snow (ohio weather is constantly changing) so it keep it fairly dry. :)

Eric

Last edited:

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Thanks Monkey! :) how've you been man?

Ananas, I made it foldable, although admittedly I don't fold it up very often....fits in the back seat perfectly, then when I am ready to fly all I have to do is pop a battery in and go.

;)

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Looks great!! That "landing gear" helps you to orientate better right?
Also the most important question: Is the yellow toy on the tricopter when it flies?

Hey Klonas.....the landing gear does help very much with orientation, I do the same colors on the back and front of all my multi-rotors. The yellow guy (Woodstock) does fly with the copter......he also helps with orientation. ;)

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Doing great Eric!

How's the vibrations on that thing? Any close up shots of your camera mount?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey Eric!

Nice of you that you keep active on the forum! Your tricopter looks very nice, and your tail as well helps with orientation. I hope you can keep Woodstock from getting shock induced brain damage... :)

Shadow74

Multi-rotor madman
Doing great Eric!

How's the vibrations on that thing? Any close up shots of your camera mount?

Hey Monkey, glad to hear things are going well. As far as vibrations go, I have them pretty much gone, between balancing the props on a magnetic balancer, and using a piece of black bicycle handle bar foam under the camera where the bolt goes through to fasten it on. I havent had a bunch of vibrations from the tri-copter really. My quad seems to have more, but I think it is the el-cheapo motors that I have on it. I have 4 eflite park 450's on the way here for my quad, that oughta LIVEN things up a bit, not to mention smooth things up considerably. If they work nice, I am gonna upgrade the tri to those as well. One thing that I have found, is that a big source of vibrations come from those prop hubs that get bolted to the top of motors, those things are super easy to get tweaked/bent and the slightest bit will cause them to vibrate. I have seen new ones that are bent right outta the box. (boooo!) lol that's another reason I am excited to try these park 450's cuz they have a shaft to attach a prop collar onto, instead of those goofy hubs. If these 450 motors are to my liking, i'm gonna get some more and start working on a hexacopter to carry a bigger camera. :) I am working on a new camera mount for the tri tomorrow....when I get it done, I will post pics. :)