my x-mas project

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
after noticing that i cant post in the "projects" folder, i decided to post this here, i dont intend on just scrach building it, im going to do some research and than make the plans from there... well anyway, here is the original post:

Hello everyone! as some of you are aware, i make videos for youtube and im thinking of making a Xmas special. my main idea was to make the plane out of gingerbread, i have not started yet with the building, i would like your thoughts on the plane (construction, recipes etc.). im thinking either a full gingerbread skeleton with some transparent film, or just a gingerbread fuselage.
All ideas and suggestions are welcome!
-A

JoeyG

Sounds like a fun idea, I know nothing of cooking but you could always bake the gingerbread with a carbon frame in the mix? Weight may end up being an issue but I'm positive its possible.

Good luck!

J.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Sounds like a fun idea, I know nothing of cooking but you could always bake the gingerbread with a carbon frame in the mix? Weight may end up being an issue but I'm positive its possible.

Good luck!

J.

Then the birds really would be attacking it while in flight! :)

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
the carbon thing was actually a good idea!, but i kind of wanted to be able to eat some of it after some flights xD we shall se :p

and yes.. the birds might be a problem... :/

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
You have to see that the gingerbread plane will have to go pretty fast for it to be able to fly of you don´t just want to hang it up n a prop.

Also what about you tell us how much gingerbread there should be on the plane?
I think the necessary minimum stuff is: rx, battery, ESC, motor and 2 servos (elevon control would need the least amount of servos/or just elevator and rudder control)

Is that supposed to be all or is there some form of stabilisation allowed? You will need a lot of carbon and a powerful motor, I think

F16V1PER

F16V1PER
well one thing is for sure, if you have any vibrations it will just crumble to bits, then the birds will feast! Good luck.

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
You have to see that the gingerbread plane will have to go pretty fast for it to be able to fly of you don´t just want to hang it up n a prop.

Also what about you tell us how much gingerbread there should be on the plane?
I think the necessary minimum stuff is: rx, battery, ESC, motor and 2 servos (elevon control would need the least amount of servos/or just elevator and rudder control)

Is that supposed to be all or is there some form of stabilisation allowed? You will need a lot of carbon and a powerful motor, I think

well i did'nt really set any limitations yet, but i want as much gingerbread as possible, and no, im not planing on using gingerbread electronics xD. im thinking of making some kind of slowflyer/highwing 3-channel plane, if the wing contains any gingerbread, than i will use some foil to make the wing area and gingerbread to make the "skeleton". the big challange wil be not to use a lot of carbon :/

well one thing is for sure, if you have any vibrations it will just crumble to bits, then the birds will feast! Good luck.
yes, i have thought of that as well, and i think using a low rpm motor with a big slowflyer prop wil probbably make my day :)

What do you guys think? any suggestions on the "skeleton" of the plane?
-A

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sound like a good show suggestion... building an edible flyer. Who can build the plane using the least amount of non-edible stuff. Winner would be decided by most percentage eaten after having flown for a specified minimum time.

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
Sound like a good show suggestion... building an edible flyer. Who can build the plane using the least amount of non-edible stuff. Winner would be decided by most percentage eaten after having flown for a specified minimum time.
hehe, we could make a challenge out of it, but there wouldn't be any entries i'm afraid, i dont think that there are that many people interested in doing something so hard just to win pride :p
however i have been thinking of a "challenge the internet" episode where i challange everyone to build a plane, and make it fly for as long as possible only with a 1000mAh 3s battery.. but that's being reserved for a later episode ;)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
i dont think that there are that many people interested in doing something so hard just to win pride

I wouldn't say it's about pride but rather the same thing that every challenge is about... beating challenges. Besides this one also includes a favorite of many many people... food. And the possibilities, could be as diverse as a menu.

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
A really thin brittle toffee....allowed to cool on a very level surface and you will have a very thin sheet, then cut out the parts
stick together with more toffee ........and then eat it cos i dont reckon you could get it to fly

ananas1301

I would use a skeleton made out of carbon which will look like a plane, so kinda like this:
I I
I I
I I I <- wings made out of 2 4mm carbon rods GOING THROUGH to the other side in one piece (widthspan 1m)
Prop IO------------------------------------------
I I I I (elevator/ruder carbon, of course on both sides, but left out here)
I I I
I I
I I
I I
I _ I

Just imagine it would be a balsa plane but instead of any foils or paper use gingerbread :D

SunShine

not crazy, just stupid
........and then eat it cos i dont reckon you could get it to fly
realistically: 2 sec flight and then comes the eating time. :p

I would use a skeleton made out of carbon which will look like a plane, so kinda like this:
I I
I I
I I I <- wings made out of 2 4mm carbon rods GOING THROUGH to the other side in one piece (widthspan 1m)
Prop IO------------------------------------------
I I I I (elevator/ruder carbon, of course on both sides, but left out here)
I I I
I I
I I
I I
I _ I

Just imagine it would be a balsa plane but instead of any foils or paper use gingerbread :D
I couldnt really deciffer your drawing (before i quoted it) but i rather don't want to use carbon and stuff like that. i was thinking about a lazzy bee looking slowflyer.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Or you could grab a baguette, add wings, hollow it for electronics, motor, etc... This could work!

ananas1301

realistically: 2 sec flight and then comes the eating time. :p

I couldnt really deciffer your drawing (before i quoted it) but i rather don't want to use carbon and stuff like that. i was thinking about a lazzy bee looking slowflyer.

Sorry about that :D I tried drawing a simple plane and by using those I and - and lots of spaces so it would look like a plane but when posting it all the spaces went away. Sorry again. :D