Name those planes!

Apple Pie

Elite member
Full disclosure, this is my first post. New to the hobby but not to flying (private pilots license back in the 90’s but haven’t flown since). I’m hooked on building these foamy things and the prognosis is bad...

One month ago my 13 year old son needed a summer hobby to occupy his free time, and luckily we stumbled across flite test on you tube and were both instantly hooked. Here is the situation one month later. Everything flies (or flew) except the butterfly. Name those planes! 🧐. Including the two remnants at the bottom.

Last edited:

Apple Pie

Elite member
6D9FA657-54B9-4F30-BE20-1E0920103398.jpeg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Two FT Flyers, Otter, Simple Cub, Tiny Trainer, remnants of the FT Nuball and Sparrow.

Don't know what the blue and yellow one is but it looks really cool!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Pretty sure we got a cub, a TT, two flyers, the remains of a Nutball, and two larger FT birds I have seen but forget the names of offhand. Great fleet all around! If you guys enjoy simple to build fun flyers like the Flyer and Nutball that can do high angles of attack for days, I've got something you might want to consider. It would look pretty snazzy in those fun and random color schemes of yours.

Apple Pie

Elite member
The fun and random colors are courtesy of my kids and nieces who love the spray paint! My only caveat is to try to paint the wing tops bright colors so I have a chance of flying them and determining which side is up. Not sure if that is a thing or not but holy cow can I get disoriented quickly when the sun comes into play and I struggle to see which side is up!

Apple Pie

Elite member
Everything identified except the blue and yellow one... 😄

Working on a new motor/prop combo for it since it didn’t really like the 1806 with a six inch prop so I tried the seven inch prop and I burned the motor out. Rookie mistake. I’m going to try a 2212 950kv with a 9 inch prop instead. I highly recommend building this plane as it is a lovely slow flier when the wind is down. Wish I put nav lights on it so I can fly it at dusk...

Hint, the design is from Looping Louie on this forum and dates back to 1924...
6FF0ECC7-B402-46AD-9089-0CCC937F5ED3.jpeg

Vimana89

Legendary member
The fun and random colors are courtesy of my kids and nieces who love the spray paint! My only caveat is to try to paint the wing tops bright colors so I have a chance of flying them and determining which side is up. Not sure if that is a thing or not but holy cow can I get disoriented quickly when the sun comes into play and I struggle to see which side is up!
It's definitely a thing to use color contrast for orientation. Smart move. And yes, now looking closer I do recognize it. Not an official FT bird, but a community design,@Dr. Looping Looie's work. It's this one https://www.flitetest.com/articles/check-out-this-awesome-dornier-libelle-seaplane

Apple Pie

Elite member
It's definitely a thing to use color contrast for orientation. Smart move. And yes, now looking closer I do recognize it. Not an official FT bird, but a community design,@Dr. Looping Looie's work. It's this one https://www.flitetest.com/articles/check-out-this-awesome-dornier-libelle-seaplane
Yep, you nailed it. Great plane for sure, and my dads favorite of the bunch. Possibly because it flies gracefully and slowly.

Now that they have all been identified I guess I’ll have to build some more ...

😋

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
@Apple Pie awesome to see that you like my design! Looking closely at the picture, did you include both ailerons AND flaps? Tell me how it works off the water! I went simple with mine, but great to see others try different things with it!

Apple Pie

Elite member
Hmmm. Maybe give this a shot some time? Easy to build and not much harder than the flyer to fly, probably easier than the nut.https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?resources/v-sliver-ret-slender-delta-plans.78/
That’s a neat looking design. I’ll add that to the build list! Truth be told the reason for the nutball and flyers is that our learn to fly field is covered in trees and has a ten yard by 30 yard open space in the middle. Flying high alpha was pretty much the easiest way to get started. And the nutball is fantastic at falling out of trees on its own 😄. The tiny trainer has had a couple of hundred chuck glider landings to get used to controls when coming towards you. I would throw and my son would glide. Then he would throw it back and I would glide. Helps to have two dx6 transmitters on buddy box to make that work. We can also fly over a quiet lake hence the seaplanes. Flying the cub and the trainer over the water has a certain pucker factor which adds to the experience.

Apple Pie

Elite member
@Apple Pie awesome to see that you like my design! Looking closely at the picture, did you include both ailerons AND flaps? Tell me how it works off the water! I went simple with mine, but great to see others try different things with it!
I added ailerons to start with as I’m more used to flying with ailerons than without. The 1806 2200kv motor that comes with power pack A doesn’t really work with this design. I liked it better with the 7 inch before I toasted the motor. I think it should fly really nice with an 8 or 9 inch turning more slowly. I’ll give that a try when I get another motor in the next few days. I’ll post my thoughts on your other thread so it’s all in one place. Thanks again for the plans for the Libelle; it was a fun build and a fun flier.

Vimana89

Legendary member
That’s a neat looking design. I’ll add that to the build list! Truth be told the reason for the nutball and flyers is that our learn to fly field is covered in trees and has a ten yard by 30 yard open space in the middle. Flying high alpha was pretty much the easiest way to get started. And the nutball is fantastic at falling out of trees on its own 😄. The tiny trainer has had a couple of hundred chuck glider landings to get used to controls when coming towards you. I would throw and my son would glide. Then he would throw it back and I would glide. Helps to have two dx6 transmitters on buddy box to make that work. We can also fly over a quiet lake hence the seaplanes. Flying the cub and the trainer over the water has a certain pucker factor which adds to the experience.
My normal field is a not too big desert lot with rough gravel, coarse brush, and housing and roads bordering it in, so planes that maneuver fairly nimble and can slow fly and/or high alpha are preferable to me a lot of times. That being said, the slender delta can fly high and fast and straight too, so for high or full throttle and straight passes, it will appreciate the more open spaces, but can also go super slow low and high alpha like nothing else. It's a pretty flexible plane. Landings are a snap with the massive ground effect and the prop is well protected from most wear or damage.

Vimana89

Legendary member
You'll have a lot of fun with all the FT official planes and the unofficial, member designed and submitted ones too. so much to choose from and a lot more being added all the time(y). When I gave you a heads up to my own design, It kind of skipped my mind to link a video, but here's a pretty good one. Some normal cruising around at first, but then I bring her down low and slow for some ridiculous high alpha.

Apple Pie

Elite member
Ok, this pic is from a week ago. My adaptation of an important plane to my home country of Canada. Any guesses based on what you see here?
2D0DC28B-0745-44E4-9C95-527902BB2331.jpeg

Apple Pie

Elite member
I love the twin otter, but that’s not it. Color scheme is the same as a classic twin otter scheme though, yellow.