Nano CPX, A tip to make the Brushless kit useful.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
TL;DR, cut off the wiring harness from your brushless kit, and solder the wires directly to the 5in1 board.

Okey, lets jump into the story. I've had my Nano CPX for a couple years now. It's a massive challenge to fly, and I like that in aircraft. At some point, I got that wild hare instinct to upgrade the thing. This.. was probally a mistake.

Horizon Hobby sold a Brushless upgrade kit. It's supposed to be a tool-less install. You tape the ESC to the 5in1 board, you push the old motor out, and slide the new one in, then you plug the wiring harness into the original battery plug.

What they don't tell you, is clocking the motor matters. You need to have the motor with the leads coming out the side closest to the 5in1 board, otherwise there's not enough lead on the motor.

The flight time, was very poor. I was getting 30 seconds to 1 minute of flight time with the brushless motor installed. When LVC hits on the brushless rig, the rotor just stops, and the heli drops out of the air like a rock. It's really quite violent.

So, I tired better batteries. A fresh set of 45c 150mah cells, some 180mah 35c cells. With my best batteries It would fly, but not for long.

After a lot of digging, I found that the advice was to remove the provided harness. The provided power harness for the brushless kit adds two new points of resistance in the leads to the 5in1 board. The fix, is to solder the ESC directly to the same solder points as the stock battery harness.

Making that change, I now have 4 or more minutes of flight time, even with 25c batteries.

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2015/07/nano-cpx-upgrades.html