Nano Pylon Racer

Keno

NANO PYLON RACER​
(Build it in the morning and fly it in the afternoon)

This is a little pylon racer similarity to another may be recognized by older modelers. We used to fly them with .049’s and they were called GLH’s. You launched them, and the race was on, 3-5 minutes of knee knocking fun.

It is constructed from one sheet of Dollar Tree Adams or Walmart’s Ross foam board.

The CG is marked, and it may need adjustment forward. Power: Emax 1806, 20-amp speed control and 850-1000 mah 3 cell Lipo. Servos: Emax ES9051. Throws, Elevator ¼” and ailerons 1/8”, low rate. High right is yours to set. A lot of expo is suggested. On launching use about 2/3 throttle otherwise it “torks” left quickly.

The wing is symmetrical to semi-symmetrical. The method to achieve this is to first follow the drawing notes. Start forming your wing by gently folding the wing top using the “LE” gauge and pressing down on the trail edge to your work table. Note: You may experience a problem with mating trailing edges this is due to the leading edge “V” center cut not meeting perfectly at the center. Usually adjustments in this area leads to the “LE” paper splitting. To prevent this, reinforce the leading edges lengthwise on center with medical paper tape. Two sources for this tape is Dollar Tree (Assured) and Walmart’s (Equate). You can also use the tape to repair and/or reinforce hinge cuts. When you are comfortable with shape place hot glue on spar and trail edge. Place wing bottom side down on work table pressing leading edge to meet the gauge and the trailing edge flat to the work table. Repeat same on the other half.

If you choose to epoxy in a firewall, consider cutting in right thrust and possibly some down.

Note that the bevel cuts on the leading edge “V” are larger than 45 degrees. This is done to help form the symmetrical/semi-symmetrical wing shape. Sand cut as necessary for smoothness. Note, the “LE” of the wing is shaper than you my like as it is a racer. If you want a rounder leading edge you can add a bead of hot glue in the bottom of "V" cut and smooth to fill its bottom.

Chuck this dude in the air and have fun.
10/30/2018 Updated, "House Cleaning"
11/2/2018 Updated , "house cleaning and correction to tail seating)

Attachments

• DSC00115.JPG
    DSC00115.JPG
    886.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ViaCAD Pro _Nano Pylon Racer.pdf
    180.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Keno

Flew number 5 today and loved it, flew straight, clean and fast. All the data and drawing on now on my first post, enjoy it is a quick build. Have fun and enjoy.

Attachments

• DSC00111.JPG
    DSC00111.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

soggyfrenchfries

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what scale are you printing this at? Original scale doesn't seem to work and I've printed a bunch of other plans without any problems. Is it just me?

Keno

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but what scale are you printing this at? Original scale doesn't seem to work and I've printed a bunch of other plans without any problems. Is it just me?
100 percent. Bring up Adobe Reader, open file, select print, select page size & handling - Poster, Scale -100%, check cut marks - tile only large pages, and labels. This should get it for you. you will see how it will print and how many pages on the right of screen. Hope the works for you if not get back to me i'll see what we can do further.

soggyfrenchfries

100 percent. Bring up Adobe Reader, open file, select print, select page size & handling - Poster, Scale -100%, check cut marks - tile only large pages, and labels. This should get it for you. you will see how it will print and how many pages on the right of screen. Hope the works for you if not get back to me i'll see what we can do further.
Ok ill try that tonight. And report back. Thanks for the quick response!