Nano qx or OrangeRX Module Request

QuadBuilder

Hey everyone, I'm a big fan of FliteTest and it was one of the things/shows that inspired me to get into the hobby. Basically, after a ton of research and planning, I have ordered what I need to build a midrange quad (1.5kg). Then, last night, I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6btEFJJD4_o, in which Josh and Alex explain that it's a really bad idea to learn on a bigger quad that will break easily.

Having already spent over $300 on various stuff for the big quad, I really don't want to crash and hate myself for having ruined my project. So, per the video advice, I'm trying to get a nano qx to learn flying. I already purchased a Turnigy 9x transmitter, so I figure it would be a good idea to get the OrangeRX transmitter module as well instead of buying an RTF version of the qx: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor...ransmitter_Module_JR_Turnigy_compatible_.html

Only problem is: I've already spent a ton of money. I really want to use my custom built quad for path planning/optimization (it would help me get into a research job at my university and is one of my interests), so I want to take the necessary steps to protect that investment. If anyone had either of these things that they could gift me or sell me at a discount, I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

BankNYank!

Mentor
A lot of people rave about the nano qx as a great multirotor trainer and a pretty cool little quad in general but it's not the only thing out there.

What I'm trying to say is you can look around for a cheaper quad just so you can learn the basics and get comfortable.

My first multirotor was the WLToys V929. I got mine on sale for like twenty bucks and it came RTF. I've seen them on Amazon for around thirty rtf.

I recently got a Heli-Max 230si as a gift and to be honest I don't feel it fly's any better than my V929.

Having said all that, my advice is to get yourself a cheap little quad like the V929. Once you get takeoffs, landings and hovers down start learning some circuits and once your confident with that you should be good to go with your bigger and more expansive multirotor.

Last piece of advice... go into this expecting to crash. Everyone crashes, it's a way of life. Buy lots of props for your scratch build multirotor!

Welcome to the forum!