NAS-BWACC [ENTIRELY UNOFFICIAL FTFF EVENT]

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
What? Are you Chicken?!?

I see you just finished that shiny new speed built Bloody Wonder V2. All nice and white and pretty. Not even grass stained yet . . . and you want to go putter around the field?

That's not some old fogey! THAT'S a COMBAT bird you're flying, PILOT!

Slap some paint or colored tape or blood on it and take your place holding the line at the first annual:

N orth
A merican
S tock
B loody
W onder
A erial
C ombat
C hallenge

One plane, One motor, 3 servos, and 8 minutes of combat to glory!

The challenge is to build:

- a stock V1 or V2 BW from foamboard (scratch or speed built)
-- mount an EMAX CF2812 (cheap, strong, and available ALL OVER)
-- up to 3 servos (wanna go plane-jane? dual ailerons for protection, pansy? the ruddy wonder for wicked yaw to run away faster?)
-- powered by a 3S 1300 battery (or less than 4oz, if you think your 4S1000 pack can rock our world for 8 min)​

Only the winning airframes will be checked, but all will see battle!!!!

Wait?!? There's not an Outlaw class? Any BW compete? Ooooh yeah!!! You just can't win if you don't meet the rules . . . and who cares about a DQ if you've single-handedly thinned the herd?

So how do I win? This is full on combat, baby! You should be happy if you survive, but I like your spirit! The winner is selected by physical contact count (hits) in 8 minutes, on the honor system. Hitter and hittee both get a point -- if they can stay in the air, they get to make/take more points. No, the ground doesn't count.

When? Probably sometime Saturday . . . we'll need to sneak in-between or after official events, we'll want a popular day, and we TOTALLY want to have time for people to finish building their BW's to join in the fun.

Where? FTFF of course!!! Oh! Which flight line? We'll have to get more details first to find out whose line we can steal for 8 minutes of carnage.

And the prize? The Glory of combat and the Honor of your peers . . . and maybe a trophy . . . dunno . . . ideas?

So who's with me?!?

Who wants to see what a simple Bloody Wonder can do in the hands of great
(and not-so-great) pilots?!?!?

<-- brought to you by "the EarthSciTeach committee for brewing FTFF troublemaking" -->

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Hey! I have a committee? I LIKE that!

Well done, Dan-o! I'll build a trophy worthy of the winner of such an amazing event and bring it to FTFF. I need to buy some gold spray paint, anyway. Nothing says, "quality," like gold spray paint.

I have to admit that I was thinking up nefarious ways to strengthen my airframe while I was in the shower this morning. But, that trophy is going to be so amazing that I don't think that I want to risk being DQ'd. Although, I do like Dairy Queen's Blizzards. M&M is my favorite.

Bring your best BW to bash into bits!

Mytchak

KG5CZA
I love the idea. This is my first non-sailplane event and never flew combat. Would we be able to do this after the night build? I think it would be fun as a group to build/strengthen together and then wreck them together too!

Just a thought.

Regardless - I'm in!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FANTASTIC! Another targ . . . I mean combat hero enters the fray!!!

Not sure of the timing yet, but I hope so too! I really dig the build-then-break togetherness vibe of this :)

Also not sure when the official "epic combat" will occur, but that appears to be an open event. EST floated the idea across a while ago of "what if we all build fly the same plane and see what matched airframes look like in combat."

we might also switch it up a bit from the official combat with secondary goals (like flying a figure 8 pattern) to "enhance" combat encounters :D

It's all in flux . . . only thing defined ATM is the airframe/motor and EST is entirely to blame ;)

bitogre

I hope to participate in this unless I am busy volunteering with the operation of Flite Fest at that time (hopefully switching a live coverage of this event for the Web but that currently seems unlikely).

I will be bringing 2 BWs. I can lend 1 to anyone who is interested in participating but does not have a BW of their own (you will need to provide your own receiver).

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
Great Idea Dan, but I'm with bitgore. I too hope to participate unless I'm busy volunteering at FTFF.:D

"...You should be happy if you survive, but I like your spirit!"

Do I detect a little "War Hammer" or "War Machine" in here Dan?

Tom

Dreamwalker

Less than 250 Grams!
O.K.!
I've got my motor, props, ESC and metal gear servos ordered.

Now to build that Bloody Wonder!

Tom

Flynn

So wait Dan, you will be at Flitefest?! Or are you planning on some L.R.F.P.V.C (Long range FPV Combat)?:p

Either way, I'm in!! Rain or Shine, come on!

I'll need a nice new paint job, . . . hmm, maybe a catchphrase "Abandon all hope".

oh yeah, it's on.

bitogre

So wait Dan, you will be at Flitefest?! Or are you planning on some L.R.F.P.V.C (Long range FPV Combat)?:p

If he was planning on a LRFPVC, that would be amazing. If I understand correctly, that would be over 750miles. I would love to hear how he got long range FPV gear that can go that far without line of sight to fit into a Blood Wonder and operate off a 1300mAh battery for 8 minutes (assuming he has some one launching the Bloody Wonder for him at the event).

On the other hand, I like the idea of an FPV combat event (though, I am not sure you could get as many people would be willing to enter due to cost of gear at risk unless it was purely streamer combat). The trick would be figuring out how to get that many FPV signals co-existing at the same time.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
O.K.!
I've got my motor, props, ESC and metal gear servos ordered.

Now to build that Bloody Wonder!

Tom

Ha! metal gear servos! like that'll help you!
(he says as he quickly searches the parts bin for those spare MG-90's he bought for his tri . . . )

Fynn,

LRFPVC sounds cool . . . and full of spectacular fail :black_eyed:

My plans changed about a week after you asked -- never thoguht my wife would go for it, but I'm in :D I posted it in the roll-call thread about two weeks ago, sorry you missed it go by.

and yes . . . Definitly some paint . . . some mean paint . . .

earthsciteach

Note to self... Must order metal gear servos. I used up mine in the tricopter.

Does fiberglass-resin impregnated paint count?

Flynn

My plans changed about a week after you asked -- never thoguht my wife would go for it, but I'm in :D I posted it in the roll-call thread about two weeks ago, sorry you missed it go by.

and yes . . . Definitly some paint . . . some mean paint . . .

Awesome! I've been slighty off the grid for a while, I started a new job.

Paint. Lots of paint. And some touch up paint :p

Mytchak

KG5CZA
(though, I am not sure you could get as many people would be willing to enter due to cost of gear at risk unless it was purely streamer combat).

Awe man! This was my means of upgrading my gear!!! "Honey - Look what happened! it... it... crashed!!!! <Justifies buying a new DX18>:rolleyes:

Gremlo

I'm in, I'm flying there and I get 2 free Swappables from the KS, and I can't take any home. sooooo I guess that means it's gonna go down in a BLAZE of GLORY!!!!

bitogre

I'm in, I'm flying there and I get 2 free Swappables from the KS, and I can't take any home. sooooo I guess that means it's gonna go down in a BLAZE of GLORY!!!!

That is what you think. I tried destroying my Bloody Wonder in two different combats at SEFF and all I have to show for it is a 1/8" dent in one wing. Otherwise, it still flies very well. I think you may need to find another way to discard the swapables you paid for and are getting as a part of your KS reward.

Gremlo

That is what you think. I tried destroying my Bloody Wonder in two different combats at SEFF and all I have to show for it is a 1/8" dent in one wing. Otherwise, it still flies very well. I think you may need to find another way to discard the swapables you paid for and are getting as a part of your KS reward.

I'll probably just end up giving the airframe(s) to someone(s). like a beginner that need more planes for their collection... I'm bringing my QAV250 and electronics. probably going to choose a BW and a Spitfire, or an FT3D... still have to decide.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

While it's not as much fun . . . it's easier to carry the planes back in the speed-build kit form.

Not that I want to discourage you lending a hand to an aspiring pilot . . .

earthsciteach

I printed plans today. And, I have a vision for a trophy! It is amazing! Too bad the real one won't be as cool looking. :p