NAS-BWACC [ENTIRELY UNOFFICIAL FTFF EVENT]

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Got a little practice in on the BW...8 minutes? It can be done with an 8x4prop with a little management, what prop would be better? 7x5?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That's why I went with 8 min/3s1300. You can do it . . . you can even do it easy . . . but not at WOT on a 3s1300. Don't forget, the last plane in the air can still be the last looser standing, but if your battery grounds you 4 min in, that better be an awesome 4 min.

So far I've tried this power setup on an 7x6 glass, 8x4 nylon, 8x8 glass, and 9x4 carbon . . . and everything still works, but I neither support or oppose any of these props . . . and not tellin' what I plan to use . . . use your energy wisely folks ;)

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
In all honesty, I don't expect to see 2 minutes...So...well..prop doesn't probably matter...but I'm off to the LHS tomorrow to grab a selection for FF anyhow.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Just finished and maidened my Versa Wing built for night-flying at FlightFest (using the color-changing lights-strip demo'd in the FliteTest videos), so it's on to the Bloody Wonder build!

I built two identical power pods for the VW and BW, using Hobby-Lobby 400xt motors. It's a great little motor, perfect for the size plane, and I have too many extra ones laying around to justify acquiring another similar motor while the 400xts gather dust...so I will be flying just for fun not glory. :) For ESCs, I'm glad I finally will have some planes with which I can make use of those darn humongous 20A ESC's that come with the funfighters from HobbyKing (which HK claims are suitable for the funfighter motor on 4S, but they are NOT). I have a pile of those things too....and almost threw them away, because I practically never have a plane of under 20A power where such a hideously oversize/heavy ESC is not a serious liability. But there's plenty of room in the powerpods, and for these planes I'm not overly concerned about minimizing weight.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Staying under 20A is easy-peasy for the BW, even with a ton of power behind WOT.

Welcome to the Fray, Herk :)

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Finished the BW, and it came out better than I expected at first. I couldn't find anything that explained the implementation of the V2 plans changes, so there was some head-scratching when all I had to go on was the V1 build video. Most of it I figured out (like the nice interlocking tabs and holes for the aft fuse brace and the wing spar)...but I still don't know what that extra centerline hole in the wing is for (glad I didn't cut it out), or what that 4-1/2"-long oblong piece is for. And in hindsight, I kind of wish I had hot-glued the wing score-cuts for strength, like Josh mentioned in the Versa video (but not the BW video). There's no CG given in the plans (or the video), and I searched around the forums and saw widely differing opinions on that...I configured for 3/4" behind the aft edge of the spar (or about 2-1/2" aft of LE)...sound OK?

My AUW came to 14.1 oz (with a 1000 mAh 3S). I have doubts about whether it's going to be vertical takeoff capable.

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
Maidened my BW. Very lively plane, and feels well-balanced for CG. Just needs a little down-thrust-angle put into the motor mount. With neutral elevator it has a strong tendency to climb (had to click in a lot of elevator downtrim), and that tendency increases with increased power. Vertical is unlimited, so maybe it will be vertical-takeoff capable after all (didn't try it though).

Last edited:

Road Kill

Starting my new BW tomorrow, the one I have been flying is reinforced w/ 1/8" plywood in the nose and pod (indestructible), so guess that one would get dsq. I'll probably bring a spare just in case someone needs one. Looking forward to it!

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
LOL...just did my first vertical start, had my daughter with me, told it "let's step back a bit...ok...a bit more"...."maybe a bit more!"...gave it a little down elevator...and.................it went straight up with a little bit of torque roll, no drama at all. That was a pleasant surprise. I am starting to like this plane a little to much, this one will need rebuilt before (or at) FliteFest and maybe with a couple spares as well!

rossmort

Finishing up a blunt nose versa for night flying, trying to get my batbone operational, Have about 3 other plans in varying levels of completeness....Now I have to add another BW to the list! I am going to be exhausted prior to the start of FF!

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Don't bother making it a pretty BW. 'Murphy's Law' is only going to chew them up and spit them out! Then... I take over the world! Muhahahahha!!!

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
LOL...just did my first vertical start, had my daughter with me, told it "let's step back a bit...ok...a bit more"...."maybe a bit more!"...gave it a little down elevator...and.................it went straight up with a little bit of torque roll, no drama at all. That was a pleasant surprise. I am starting to like this plane a little to much, this one will need rebuilt before (or at) FliteFest and maybe with a couple spares as well!

Yeah on the Flitetest video for the BW V2 where they do the 2-ship formation takeoff, both models torque to the left and pitch back, and then the pilots quickly react with down elevator and turn back to the right.

I just shimmed the motor mount on my BW for some down and right thrust angle, and was headed out the door for a test flight, but it was starting to rain...

Bloody Micks

Ok my question is this for "Bloody Wonders" only or do original "Funbats" qualify?

I am finishing up a New Funbat just to bring along and I will drop a qualifying motor in it and possibly get different LiPo's but you can't improve on perfection :p I have this affinity for the Funbat for some reason.

Jon

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
For you sir, I'd make the exception, but as a whole, absolutly yes for fly, but no for a win.

The idea of this combat is to pit like airframe vs. like airframe, but outlaws are welcome to mix it up -- no sense in becoming too comfortable -- but limiting to the general family the bloody wonder comes from . . . If someone showed up with an electric converted Sig Wonder, they'd be welcome to put it up against it's foamy bastid' children.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
How 'bout a Foam Board Sig Wonder? ;)

For you sir, I'd make the exception, but as a whole, absolutly yes for fly, but no for a win.

The idea of this combat is to pit like airframe vs. like airframe, but outlaws are welcome to mix it up -- no sense in becoming too comfortable -- but limiting to the general family the bloody wonder comes from . . . If someone showed up with an electric converted Sig Wonder, they'd be welcome to put it up against it's foamy bastid' children.

bloody wonders

I have built a bloody wonder in 30 in wing size all the way to 60 in wing with twin rudders and lites i love the plane ive built 8 of them

herk1

Trash Hauler emeritus
I test-flew the BW this morning after the thrust angle change (bit of down and right). It was a marked improvement; now she's steady as a rock at all power settings. That gave me the confidence in the plane to try a standing vertical takeoff. Success! The BW rose slowly, but stayed steady in a vertical attitude, contrary to the FT video (maybe thanks to the added thrust-angle?). I was afraid it might rise a little then fall off on a wing and crash, but it worked just fine.