navyflyguy61 I am a old fart but new here!!

navyflyguy61

navyflyguy61 I am a old fart but new here!! I have been involved with RC"s sence 10 grade witch is many years. I spent 10 years in the navy and work on the A6" attack aircraft and flew right seat, GREAT RIDE!!!!
I have built many planes some kits, but built scale from scratch for shows. there was one post I saw a post for gas to electric. that is a GOOD QUESTION?
Working on a EDF EA-6B !!! NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIG THRUST NEED TO FLY A 6 LB PLANE USING 2 EDF"S

Maxx

navyflyguy61 I am a old fart but new here!! I have been involved with RC"s sence 10 grade witch is many years. I spent 10 years in the navy and work on the A6" attack aircraft and flew right seat, GREAT RIDE!!!!
I have built many planes some kits, but built scale from scratch for shows. there was one post I saw a post for gas to electric. that is a GOOD QUESTION?
Working on a EDF EA-6B !!! NEED TO KNOW HOW TO FIG THRUST NEED TO FLY A 6 LB PLANE USING 2 EDF"S
Welcome to the forum my friend . I wish I could help you but I,m new to the hobby .

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Typically on RC performance models you want at least a one to one ratio of thrust to weight, so get an EDF unit that puts out 3lbs of thrust each. If you can find an EDF that puts out 4lbs of thrust each you'll be even better

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hello and welcome the forums. And I would like to thank you for your service.

I am guessing you are already in possession of this plane. It was originally a nitro or gas powered plane that you want to convert to EDF's correct? I only ask because to really help you out, pictures speak a thousand words. But because you said the plane is 6lbs, and you would be looking for a 1/1 weight to thrust ratio, you would want at least 3000-3500 grams of thrust. Look for motors that have spec charts if you are online shopping to find EDF's with 1500 grams of thrust a piece and go from there. Give me a sec and I could find a link

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hello and welcome the forums. And I would like to thank you for your service.

I am guessing you are already in possession of this plane. It was originally a nitro or gas powered plane that you want to convert to EDF's correct? I only ask because to really help you out, pictures speak a thousand words. But because you said the plane is 6lbs, and you would be looking for a 1/1 weight to thrust ratio, you would want at least 3000-3500 grams of thrust. Look for motors that have spec charts if you are online shopping to find EDF's with 1500 grams of thrust a piece and go from there. Give me a sec and I could find a link
Another thing I just thought of is: if he already owns the plane and it weighs 6lbs, he's going to be adding weight with the EDF system and batteries. Or his estimated weight once he builds it is going to be 6lbs with electronics...

A little bit more info would be helpful.

navyflyguy61

Another thing I just thought of is: if he already owns the plane and it weighs 6lbs, he's going to be adding weight with the EDF system and batteries. Or his estimated weight once he builds it is going to be 6lbs with electronics...

A little bit more info would be helpful.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY! FOR THE PLANE IT IS STILL ON THE DRAWING BOARD,WELL ON MY COMPUTER CAD. IT IS A EA-6B ELECTRONIC JAMMER I WORKED ON IN THE NAVY. I HOPE TO KEEP IT UNDER 6 LB. I LOOKING AT FOAM BUT I STILL HAVE A LARGE SUPPLY OF BULSA.. ILIKE TO BUILD TO SCALE, I ATTACH 2 OF LAST TWO PLANES I HAD IN TOLEDO RC SHOW
ED WELL JUST ONE

Attachments

• F-8E.jpg
    F-8E.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 0

Figure9

Elite member
THANKS FOR THE REPLY! FOR THE PLANE IT IS STILL ON THE DRAWING BOARD,WELL ON MY COMPUTER CAD. IT IS A EA-6B ELECTRONIC JAMMER I WORKED ON IN THE NAVY. I HOPE TO KEEP IT UNDER 6 LB. I LOOKING AT FOAM BUT I STILL HAVE A LARGE SUPPLY OF BULSA.. ILIKE TO BUILD TO SCALE, I ATTACH 2 OF LAST TWO PLANES I HAD IN TOLEDO RC SHOW
ED WELL JUST ONE

Wow @navyflyguy61 That‘s a beauty. Lots of help & good info available on this forum. Welcome & keep us in the loop.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
ED WELL JUST ONE
I'd go for a twin 80 or 90mm setup preferably 6s.

Hoomi

Master member
Wow on that F-8E; it's beautiful!

And don't worry about being an old fart around here. There's more than a few of us hanging around.