Naza M-Lite First Flight

wbdallas

Complete newbie here, I used to fly planes years ago and a lot has changed.

So I tried a APM 2.8 FC first on a home made quad and was not able to get the GPS to work... so switched over to Naza Lite. I went out for my first flight test and had a green light on the LED.

Took off and was flying fine. I went to test the fail safe (from about a 10 ft high hover) and instead of landing back where it took off from it went straight up to about 20-30 ft up and hovered. I had to, if I remember, I was a bit panicked, re-arm it to get it to come out of failsafe and give me back control.

I will look over the application settings again but wanted to get some feedback from you all. Does that sound normal? Any experienced Naza M-Lite users out there?

Thanks, any feedback appreciated!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am not familiar with NAZA but I am sure like other FC's that fail safe is a programmed behavior. This can be manipulated and set up to do anything from fall out of the sky like we do for race quads to a pre planned return to home automation. It sounds like the default for NAZA fail safe is a hover and hold setting where it goes to a specific altitude and camps out waiting for the next instruction when communication link is reestablished.

I am sure someone here will know the specifics but in the mean time I suggest you grab the PDF for that fc and read up on how the programming for fail safe is done as well as what capabilities are available. This is a VERY important part of flying anything.

Welcome to Flite Test. You have come to the right place for help and will not just be told to "google it"

wbdallas

Welcome to Flite Test. You have come to the right place for help and will not just be told to "google it"

Thanks PsyBorg, I look forward to getting some feedback as well as helping others as I get to know more. I will do more research on the status light and getting better GPS signals before flying.

So I was reading the manual (imagine that) and its said that the fail safe on the N-M-L, if at a altitude less than 20 meters, it will go up to 20 meters, move over the home location and hover for 15 seconds, then land. When it went up... after activating fail safe, my thoughts went to all those videos of drones flying away and never stopping... so that time and the 15 seconds felt like a life time. So it may be acting exactly as it was supposed to and I panicked. I will try again from a. safer location and let the group here know.

If anyone has some feedback, it is welcome.

PsyBorg on another note, (not to hijack my own thread) your post inspired a question -> http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?33943-Question-New-Racer-FPV-Build&p=340043#post340043

Thanks all!

Yoopy

In the rth mode the Naza controls the multirotor to a height of 20m, pauses then flies back to the launch point (or where ever it got its GPS lock) and then lands.

wbdallas

In the rth mode the Naza controls the multirotor to a height of 20m, pauses then flies back to the launch point (or where ever it got its GPS lock) and then lands.

Thanks for the help Yoopy!

So question for you, on a windy day in GPS mode should the Naza M-Lite do a good job keeping the quad steady and level in a hover?

Also I tested the quad again today and put it in fail safe mode. It did not move to over the point where it started. It did go up to about 20m but it would float away from me slowly. I waited 15 seconds and it never came back. I had to place it in Atti mode to get it back.

Any ideas what's happening?