Naze32 Compatible Cleanflight Firmware

Keems

Hello,
I apologize if this has been answered, but I've used the search function and have not found my answer

I'm reviving the guts of my old Versacopter with the Naze32 Rev 6 board. Transplanted it all into a X210 build. It works fine with Version 1.13 firmware, but I'd like to upgrade to the newest (3.2) firmware since it's been a good 1.5 years since I worked on this thing. Also, I'd like to do some PID tuning and Cleanflight configurator is telling me I need to upgrade the firmware in order to use the setup tab.

I'm able to flash the firmware fine (jumping boot pads, flashing in CF), however I get no motor control. The motor control tab doesn't work and I also get no input from my Taranis. I get no ESC initialization beeps upon start up either. I've tried pasting all of my 1.13 settings into 3.2 and this doesn't fix it. Battery is plugged in, props are off, Naze is successfully connected to CF

Is this board not compatible with the newest Cleanflight Firmware? Is there something I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Mike

Keems

Hi ElectriSean,
I was running 2.1.0 of CF Configurator. After your comment, I've updated it to 2.4 and repeated the firmware flashing process. I've confirmed that Firmware 2.3.2 is loaded to the board as indicated in the upper left of the CF banner. I have tried to flash firmware with and without "full chip erase" selected. I get a programming failure if "no boot sequence" is checked.

Unfortunately, I run into the same issue.
1) When successfully connected to the board via USB I plug in a battery and get no audible initialization from the board OR escs. No response from the motors tab even if I use the ESC calibration sequence (master at full power, plug in battery, no audible esc noise)
2) When I am not connected to Cleanflight via USB and plug in a battery I get some an initialization beeps from the board, but not the ESCs. No response from Taranis receiver here either.

In both cases the board indicates a solid red LED and a slow blinking green LED.

Reverting back to 1.13 of Naze firmware + my old settings and all is well. I'm kinda stumped here. Maybe I'll just be stuck at 1.13 and an old version of CF configurator if I want to keep this thing in the air?

Attachments

• CF Version.JPG
    CF Version.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I think we should be able to get you in the air with the current firmware. The naze (and all other F1 based boards) have been dropped from Betaflight, but it looks like Cleanflight is still supporting them, so it should work. Are you doing a manual config or just using a dump from the old version? Using an old dump on new firmware can cause conflicts. Can you give us a little more info about your build? Rx, ESC's etc. Also some screenshots of the configuration tab and a CLI dump would be useful.

Keems

Hi ElectriSean,
Thanks for your input. Here are the build specs:
Naze32 Rev 6
D4rii Receiver with Taranis X9D
Emax MT2204 motors w/ BL Heli 12A ESCs (this is the Power Pack E from about 1.5 years ago)
Frame and PDB are a RealACC X210

In order to regain my settings from 1.13 I'm doing a manual dump (copy/paste) from CLI. I have no problem starting from scratch on the new firmware and redoing all of my settings if that's what it takes.

I have attached my CLI dump from from 1.13 as well as the dump immediately after flashing to 2.3.2 (without pasting the 1.13 settings). I've also attached the configuration screen after updating to 2.3.2. The only things I've changed are the "motor_stop" and "telemetry" buttons.

This may be more info than is needed but here's the exact sequence I'm going through when going from 1.13 to 2.3.2.
1) Jump boot pads, power on board via USB
2) Load 2.3.2 via CF. Tick box for "full chip erase" only
3) Click Flash
4) Receive message indicating "programming successful". Board appears to reboot
5) Disconnect and reconnect USB cable and connect to CF
6) Cleanflight now lets me into its GUI now that I'm at a firmware that this configurator supports (Yay!)
7) Go to motors tab to make sure they're all working
8) Remove props, check the mandatory box, plug in battery
9) No audible beeps from board or ESCs
10) Disconnect from USB/Cleanflight
11) Plug in battery, get rapid beeping from board for about .5sec. Then slow flashing green light (red light is gone now)
12) Taranis is getting RSSI but nothing else (probably because I haven't set anything in CF yet)

Thank you for your time. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• 2.3.2 - Config Bottom.JPG
    2.3.2 - Config Bottom.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.3.2 - Config Middle.JPG
    2.3.2 - Config Middle.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.3.2 - Config Top.JPG
    2.3.2 - Config Top.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1.13 Dump File.txt
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.3.2 Dump File.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
I would try setting up with the new firmware from scratch, and set the ESC protocol to PWM. That should hopefully get your ESC's initializing and motors spinning.

Keems

Ah Haaa! Now we're getting somewhere!

Switched the ESC protocol from Oneshot to PWM and the ESCs are now initializing as they should. Just did the ESC calibration and now I'll start the task of mapping my Taranis switches and other misc things. Probably not a bad idea to re-learn all of this since I've taken a 1yr hiatus from the hobby.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

Soofian

Something I JUST found. If you switch to betaflight, you can use the latest version of betaflight, then flash the naze hex from https://github.com/betaflight/betaflight/releases/tag/v3.1.0
Works great, and I post here to assist others having updating issues.
Hi CRyan, this actually worked. afroflight 32 rev 6, soldered the jumper pads, flashed latest betaflight firmware and all is working. Likely this board is not working with cleanflight or Inav. Is that true?

Thanks man!!

CRyan

Hi CRyan, this actually worked. afroflight 32 rev 6, soldered the jumper pads, flashed latest betaflight firmware and all is working. Likely this board is not working with cleanflight or Inav. Is that true?
Glad I could help! Yes, my understanding is cleanflight and iNav are not compatible with the older boards. You MAY and I stress MAY, be able to use an older version of iNav or cleanflight, but I had a REALLY hard time figuring out where support ended for these older boards.

Soofian

Glad I could help! Yes, my understanding is cleanflight and iNav are not compatible with the older boards. You MAY and I stress MAY, be able to use an older version of iNav or cleanflight, but I had a REALLY hard time figuring out where support ended for these older boards.
If you have done the research already then its best to listen to the experts. I'll stick with betaflight. I'm trying to set it up via sbus to work with the dji ocusync air system with telemetry from one of the uart interfaces. Any guides would be greatly appreciated. I'll post results here and pay it forward. 😀