NAZE32 LED issues

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
OK guys i set up my LEDs tonight and i am having issues

I have them soldered correctly as far as i can tell, I did it as CraftyDan suggested

The arming state and the colors work. I cannot get the indicators or the thrust state lights to work correctly. The thrust lights just do not come on at all. The indicators work but not in the expected ways.

I took a video of the indicator behaviors.

THougths?

I have checked the wiring several times and it is all good

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
From what I see on the screen . . .

You've got #10 checked and "South" selected. For it to work as you'd expect (if it's in the rear left position like you've positioned it) South and West need to be checked. Why it's responding to "East"? Dunno. Make the change and save it, see how #10 changes in response, and go from there.

Topdawg

Ok, the direction to point it South and West is not accurate. On the screen you label it the direction it is placed on your craft. I believe your wiring order is incorrect. Follow me on this for a moment. As it sits right now LED 1 is actually 0. So the front right LED is the first led, so your wiring should be from the Flight Controller to the DIN port. Furthermore the DIN port should also be on the front right of your craft. It than goes to the front left consecutively. All the way up to LED 7 which is actually the 8th, as we started on 0. Now moves to the back with a wire from the DOUT port on the front LED strip to the DIN on the rear strip. Which the DIN port should be on the rear left of the craft. If it is not this way than you have two options. Rewire it so it is this way, or change your wiring order to match what you have. When I mention wiring order I am talking about wiring order in cleanflight.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
ok i checked the wiring for the seems like 85000th time, LOL

it is right

But i am still getting the issue, just now it is the one side now

here is a video

now only one side flashes and i even tried turning the east west off and i no longer get all 4 lights flashing but still just the right side when i roll right but nothing on roll left and right side lights when i pitch back and nothing when i pitch up.

I turned them all off and re wired them in CleanFlight and still no go. I even used the interface to turn on one colored light at a time to make sure they all work. Still a go go. Arm state works, Color Works, Mode lights only work on the rear lights, indicators only work on the right side lights and not at all on the left input. Thrust lights work now i figured that out, apparently you have to assign a color for them to use as a base color

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
I have deleted all the wiring several times and reset it all up several times and it is still a no go for the turn indicators. Not a big deal was just hoping to help me with orientation as i learn to fly this quad

Topdawg

Quick question. What firmware are you running. I have some LED's and a Flight controller sitting here. Gonna see if I can match your setup and see what I get. Maybe we can team this up and figure it out.

Topdawg

It may sound stupid but I just ran mine, I can post a video if you want, but I have no direction listed on mine. They work for turn indication as you would expect. However, I am running a different firmware tahn you I am running Betaflight. The multiwii rewrite is actually different than the firmware. I am guessing you are running cleanflight. Maybe the latest version. So I will give that a try also. Just for giggles if you wouldn't mind getting rid of all directions just to see what happens than. Let me know. On a side note. I have forgotten how bright these led's are and now seeing spots. :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok I saw the video where you have your turn signals having two directions. Prolly not good. The way I set mine up is I made 8 boxes numbered right to left near the bottom of the screen and 2 sets of 4 in a square for my top ones as that is how they are physically built.

The lower 8 were all labeled south as they are in the back of the quad. The top 8 are all north as they are on the front.

For the rear bar I set the pattern for colors as rrraarrr with r = red and A= no color but set to arm status. for the two outer r's I set them as directional which made them blink corresponding to the correct left or right as well as reverse. The fronts were more complicated due to their physical configuration but they ended up like this where W=white D=directionals + white when not flashing and A = Arm status.
ww ww
da ad

I had problems for the longest time on SEVERAL sets of lights. I ended up powering the rears from one of the bec's on a rear esc but had to use one diode to drop the voltage where the naze would make the blinking work properly.

For the fronts I pulled that bars power from a front esc and ended up having to use 2 diodes in series to drop the voltage enough to make them blink properly.

I think it was one of painless 360's set up videos where I learned about the voltage being finicky with the naze bds lighting system and to use diodes to rein it in.

Hope that helps at least a little. If not I could take time and open my quad and connect it up to make a video.

Last edited:

Topdawg

Ok I saw the video where you have your turn signals having two directions. Prolly not good. The way I set mine up is I made 8 boxes numbered right to left near the bottom of the screen and 2 sets of 4 in a square for my top ones as that is how they are physically built.

The lower 8 were all labeled south as they are in the back of the quad. The top 8 are all north as they are on the front.

For the rear bar I set the pattern for colors as rrraarrr with r = red and A= no color but set to arm status. for the two outer r's I set them as directional which made them blink corresponding to the correct left or right as well as reverse. The fronts were more complicated due to their physical configuration but they ended up like this where W=white D=directionals + white when not flashing and A = Arm status.
ww ww
da ad

I had problems for the longest time on SEVERAL sets of lights. I ended up powering the rears from one of the bec's on a rear esc but had to use one diode to drop the voltage where the naze would make the blinking work properly.

For the fronts I pulled that bars power from a front esc and ended up having to use 2 diodes in series to drop the voltage enough to make them blink properly.

I think it was one of painless 360's set up videos where I learned about the voltage being finicky with the naze bds lighting system and to use diodes to rein it in.

Hope that helps at least a little. If not I could take time and open my quad and connect it up to make a video.

Psyborg brings up a good point. I forgot about the power. I know my LED's say 5 volts input. However, I have seen numerous examples that people have problems that if it is powered too high than they do not work correctly. I just checked the BEC that is powering mine that work correctly and it is providing 4.9 volts. I would see if you could power it a different way and drop that voltage a little.

Topdawg

Have you tried assigning a different set of lights to give you turn indicators? Maybe the outside lights, just to see if something changes.