Naze32 + Q Brain 4x20A + me = Headache, Help needed.

Awsome_Chicken

******Solved******

I have built my first quadcopter earlier this year and it had been working fine until an ESC died, not knowing if the others would die I purchased a 4-in-1 ESC, the Q Brain 4x20A. so yesterday I got that all mounted and wired up, the motors were spinning the correct directions, but today when I took it out to fly I couldn't get it off the ground. Whenever I tried it would roll over back into the ground. so I re-calibrated the ESC, no change. I re-flashed base flight onto my Naze32, no change. So I flashed to Cleanflight, no Change. Now at about 4:00 pm (and several sets of props later), I have tweaked every setting I could and no change. Has anyone ever had this problem before or a suggestion of what might be wrong? All help is appreciated.

S4021882.JPG

Last edited:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
I have a Q brain and it can be confusing as to which signal lead goes to what motor. Your board orientation looks correct and you say the motors spin the right way so there is some other problem. If you spool up motor 1 in cleanflight do you see the back right motor spin (motor 1 in the config tab)? Is the same true for motors 2, 3, and 4? Also check your receiver tab to make sure you aren't getting any uncommanded roll.

Awsome_Chicken

So, I have just figures out what the problem was, The leads were plugged in the wrong places. So when it would start rolling the wrong motors would speed up, resulting in broken props. No hardware malfunction just a problem between the chair and the keyboard.
Thanks for your help.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Glad you got it working! Welcome to the forums by the way. Looks like you have a real solid build right there, should be a blast to fly!

therja

Top Dog
Im having a similar problem but with 2 opposite motors. It started all fine. The cables are in the right place. :mad:

MSTORREY

HELP! Connecting the Naze32 to the Qbrain!

Im so lost on how to connect the two! Can anybody show me? a photo maybe? instructions? incliding a diagram? :rolleyes::mad:

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Im having a similar problem but with 2 opposite motors. It started all fine. The cables are in the right place. :mad:

What is happening exactly? Do you know for sure the 2 opposite motors are switched, ie spooling up one in CF actually spools up the opposite one, and vise versa. Or are you inferring that because it would fly right. Try switching the two signal wires even though the cables appear correct. Also make sure you got motors 1, 2, 3, and 4 correct according to CF.

MSTORREY:
The confusion with the Q-brain is due to the labeling of M1, M2, M3, and M4 on the Q-brain and the labeling of motors 1, 2, 3, and 4 in Cleanflight. Most of the time M1 on the Q-brain and motor 1 in CF are not the same motor. Use M1, M2... to determined which ESC leads correspond to which signal wire; M1 to S1, M2 to S2, etc. Then use the positioning of that M# on the frame to decide where that signal wire is connected.

Take this photo for instance. The front of the copter is forward and the Cleanflight motor layout is superimposed on top.
Qbrain.jpg

Now in the top left M4 corresponds to motor 4 in CF. So simply take S4, the brown wire, and plug it into the ESC signal port for motor 4 on the flight controller. Now take the top right. The Q brain lists M3, but CF wants this as motor 2. So you take S3, the white wire - which corresponds to M3 - and plug it into the ESC signal port for motor 2, not 3, on the FC. Bottom left your connecting the red wire to motor 3 on the FC. Bottom right you are connecting the orange wire to motor 1 on the FC. Remember this is only if the Q brain is oriented this way with respect to the front of the copter.

Some flight controllers may expect the power and ground leads to be attached to the signal wire for motor 1. So what if M3/S3 (the one with the power and ground) does not line up with motor 1 on the FC? Simply move the power and ground wires from the S3 servo connector to the one that corresponds to motor 1 on the FC. The Naze32 can have the ground and power on any of the motor leads.

Hope this helps remove some confusion. Welcome to the forum both of you!

MSTORREY

ANOTHER PHOTO

What is happening exactly? Do you know for sure the 2 opposite motors are switched, ie spooling up one in CF actually spools up the opposite one, and vise versa. Or are you inferring that because it would fly right. Try switching the two signal wires even though the cables appear correct. Also make sure you got motors 1, 2, 3, and 4 correct according to CF.

MSTORREY:
The confusion with the Q-brain is due to the labeling of M1, M2, M3, and M4 on the Q-brain and the labeling of motors 1, 2, 3, and 4 in Cleanflight. Most of the time M1 on the Q-brain and motor 1 in CF are not the same motor. Use M1, M2... to determined which ESC leads correspond to which signal wire; M1 to S1, M2 to S2, etc. Then use the positioning of that M# on the frame to decide where that signal wire is connected.

Take this photo for instance. The front of the copter is forward and the Cleanflight motor layout is superimposed on top.
View attachment 70792

Now in the top left M4 corresponds to motor 4 in CF. So simply take S4, the brown wire, and plug it into the ESC signal port for motor 4 on the flight controller. Now take the top right. The Q brain lists M3, but CF wants this as motor 2. So you take S3, the white wire - which corresponds to M3 - and plug it into the ESC signal port for motor 2, not 3, on the FC. Bottom left your connecting the red wire to motor 3 on the FC. Bottom right you are connecting the orange wire to motor 1 on the FC. Remember this is only if the Q brain is oriented this way with respect to the front of the copter.

Some flight controllers may expect the power and ground leads to be attached to the signal wire for motor 1. So what if M3/S3 (the one with the power and ground) does not line up with motor 1 on the FC? Simply move the power and ground wires from the S3 servo connector to the one that corresponds to motor 1 on the FC. The Naze32 can have the ground and power on any of the motor leads.

Hope this helps remove some confusion. Welcome to the forum both of you!

CAN YOU SEND A PHOTO OF IT CONNECTED TO THE NAZE BOARD THEN THAT TO RECEIVER?