Naze32 works but cannot connect via usb

Macropus

This is my first quad copter build and so i am very new to all of this. I am using a naze32(full version) and was using cleanflight to set it up. I did manage to start to set it all up without any problems. I managed to assemble the whole quad copter fine and everything seemed to be working but i could not get sbus to work on my naze 32. Every time i ticked the box to select sbus it would just untick itself. I just decided to mess around in clean-flight and started ticking some boxes that i did not know what they did(big mistake). I went onto the ports menu and ticked on some of the boxes that said UART1, UART2, SOFTSERIAL1, SOFTSERIAL2 and ticked the serial RX boxes. The naze then disconnected from my laptop and i was unable to reconnect. I am also unable to flash firmware onto it even when i short those boot-loader tabs. When i start up the board everything else works as it did before and the motors do thier little jiggle and the whole thing beeps as it did before just i cannot connect via the usb and as i didnt get to set the sbus up i cannot fly the thing.
I now realize that i have made a big mistake and as i am much more incompetent than i initially thought. I have tried looking up a solution to this online but i cant find anything and i still don't even understand what i did. Im hopping that somebody can give me an easy fix to this but deep inside i fell that i am going to have to fork out for another naze.

Any help will be greatly appriciated:)

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I believe shared UART ports with USB is your issue. You probably have to short the boot pads on the back while plugging in the usb cable to your PC. Re-flash and you "should" be good to go BUT do some studdy on which UART port is shared with USB and don't enable it.

Thurmond

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
UART1 is used by the USB. leave it alone.

UART2 is an ideal candidate for a serial RX, piped in through input channel #4.

As far as getting back to copasetic, I agree with Thurmond. the reflash should have gotten you there, but I've heard similar reports . . . unfortunately they're generally followed by "huh. it just started working again. no Idea what I did." :p

If it's still misbehaving, unplug the USB and battery, and run the bootloader reflash of a previous ROM version, then reload the latest. That *should* clear out the data tables . . . you know, the tables that *should* be cleared out already.

Macropus

Thanks Tritium and Craftydan for your speedy replies!!:)) I thought i had already tried shorting the boot loader pads but all that came up was the blue light and i couldn't flash it. After reading your response i re tried this but this time i powered the board on with the usb cable rather than using the quads battery(Before i was powering up the quad using the battery then plunging in the usb cable when it had powered up). Now that i have done that everything seems to be running fine and how it was and i have now definitely learned not to just go ticking boxes that i do not understand. Thanks again for your replies look forward to being able to fly my quad!!! Keep up the good work!!!

RandyQ

I believe shared UART ports with USB is your issue. You probably have to short the boot pads on the back while plugging in the usb cable to your PC. Re-flash and you "should" be good to go BUT do some studdy on which UART port is shared with USB and don't enable it.

Thurmond

hi, this is my same problem. I mistakenly messed up and switched my UART port to #2, and suddenly I cant connect to USB (so I can't change it back). My tricopter is an RcExplorer with built-in NAZE32, so I dont really know where the boot pads are (or which is the back - its built into the top plate).

Any ideas how I can go about it?

Thanks/