Neebee!... Bravo SX

buzzbee

Hi all, Ok here goes...

Been wanting to get into rc flying for years and have messed around with the odd indoor heli over the last couple. Spent to much money on a load of crap tobe honest. Was never allowed one by my dear Father when I was a kid, despite being surrounded by acres of green fields! "to difficult" he would say. Might have something to do with the fact that i remember him making, for what felt like years, a huge rc glider, and on first flight...lets just say i don't rember seeing it again!!!

Anyway, came across Flitetest while surfing the net (always watching this sort of stuff, thinking what if?) and i have been totally inspired.

Got sometime on my hands and am very keen to get serious. I am waiting for my first purchase to arrive on Monday. Let the learning/crashing begin.
Any help most gracefully received.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Welcome to the forum. RC flying isn't easy. You've likely seen that already but it's far from impossible. It'll just take some getting used to which can be time consuming and expensive. I know I've allowed about a half dozen give my plane a try. Let's just say that they found out how difficult it really is. Fortunately these days there are good planes at reasonable prices and depending on what you get, it may be easily repaired when those less than optimum landings occur.

What will you be flying?Do you have any practice time on a sim? Do you have some essential repair stuff? (hot glue, gorilla glue, toothpicks, duck tape)

Heli-Yeah!

Gremlin on the Wing
If that thing flys as good, and is as durable as the Blade mSR, you should love it. I started with the mSR, and after alot of crashing, and grinning, I became very good with orientation. That is what you need a have down first, if you plan to advance to CP helos in the future. The next step, if you don't already have one is to get a good programable transmitter. That way you can start to familiarize yourself with the settings of more advanced helicopters, as well as getting practiced at using throttle hold, for crashes, and a timer, for battery longevity.

PiperCub49

Buzzbee,

First of all, you deserve a thanks for not be deterred by that one incident. So many potential pilots quite as quickly as they started when their aircraft crash for the first time. When my father was a child, he was given a 1/2A, balsa control line plane and it did about one circuit before in met the ground for the first and last time. However, my father, brother and I have gotten into the hobby and are all successful pilots. With the variety of designs and materials today, matched with the quality of electronics, anyone can learn to fly if they make the correct choices early on, which brings me to my next point.

Helicopters can easily be the most challenging and expensive way into the hobby (although your helicopter should be pretty easy to learn on as soon as you get it). However, this cost can be significantly undercut by an RC simulator. I suggest them to anybody joining the hobby because that is the way that I got in. After beating one poorly designed plane into the ground, I went out and bought Hangar 9's FSONE. Since then, flying has been a complete breeze. Purchasing $100 worth of software and plastic was a hard pill to swallow then, but it undoubtedly saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars in repairs. In addition, it makes the learning curve considerably less steep and lets you test-fly models that you might consider purchasing.

I have to mention that the price of many simulators is still quite high. There are some exceptions though. FMS is the most popular, free simulator available. The only thing you will need is the transmitter and USB cable to go with it. A quick Google search shows this for about $27. If you do get it, it will be the best ~$35 (shipped) you ever spend in this hobby. Just my two cents.

-Kody

buzzbee

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice guys.
Here's my plan...if you can call it that!
Got a indoor/outdoor heli coming Monday,Shit! thats today! sorry its late. Its a Nine Eagles, Bravo SX.http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/Sub-Micro-RC-Helicopters/Nine-Eagles-Bravo-SX/p-97-1763/
ticks all the boxes for me at this starting point and the build, price and reviews seem good. Coming with a trainer to attach, extra blades and cell. Gona spend a load of time indoors to get used to hovering and the Very basics and when i think i am ready will venture out to the local park Very early in the morning, so i dont damage anybody! and spread my wings a little. Just gona take things slow and easy at first. Have also ordered a flight sim with 5ch transmitter its called (eXtreme64 Simulator w/USB Controller Mode 2) about £35.00...whats that in $? anyway quite cheep and can use the transmitter on other sims. Gonna down load Clear View as I have heard good things.
Guess I am starting with a small heli because of space and confidence as i already have a little flight time with them but I really want to progress to fixed wing. So the sim will be a great help. Bought all this gear by saving, Birthday cash and a wee bit of ebaying, Next its Christmas and I aim to get a Super Cub. http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/hobbyzone-super-cub-dsm-rtf-rc-plane/
Already dropping hint to my Girlfriend. Think this is a good starter for fixed wing. What do you think?
Will let you know the progress of the first day with the heli, thats if i still have fingers and can type.
Thanks again for the warm welcome. I am new to this...can you tell?

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Andy,

I know the excitement and anticipation of an arriving shipment. Around we have a knee jerk reaction watching the UPS and FedEx trucks. Even when we don't have a pending shipment, we like to think someone else is getting something to put up in the air.

I'm looking forward to your next update and how the flights go.

If you would be so kind though, this is a forum for all ages and we prefer to keep the language appropriate for all too.

I hope your weather and assembly go well for your pending flights. Keep us posted.

—Jim

PiperCub49

Hi Kody, I see you got a Cub picture. Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Get Bravo SX today and aim to start on fixed wing by Christmas. Got my eye on this one. What do you think? http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/hobbyzone-super-cub-dsm-rtf-rc-plane/

Andy

Yes! I love Cubs, as cliche as that is in this hobby. Anyways, that Super Cub is an absolutely wonderful plane, which I can attest to, having flown one myself. I am trying to limit my posting to other RC forum sites, as many forums don't like that, but if you do your own searching, you will find that others wholeheartedly agree with me. Here is a link to a few quick comments about the design on this forum: LINK.

-Kody

buzzbee

Ok, so Heli arrived Monday as planned. Stayed in all morning to sign for. Opened up parcel slowly, enjoying the moment, checked through carefully and all look good. Went for my first test flight to start trimming and something just wasn't right. Lost power after about 1 min. Tried other cell. Same. Checked transmitter. All ok. Think its a motor problem. Contacted seller. Sending back tomorrow:( will fit new motor or replace heli.
Still getting sim tomorrow so will be able to get some training in :)

Miss her already :(

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That's too bad, Andy. I hope you get it replaced. Can you post pics of your heli when you get it?

buzzbee

Will do colorex,

have asked them to throw in a set of blades for free to cover the postage i spent. Seems fair to me.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I have mostly Horizon Hobby brands, Eflite helicopters and hobbyzone and parkzone planes except for my large nitro stuff. I can personally attest to the value you get from a beginner fixed pitch helicopter such as the MSR. I own one, my brother and friends own MSR's as well. I've even been able to teach my kids (11 and 7) to fly it and total strangers who never flew anything at all. It's also very very durable and will survive most any learning damage you may dish out.

As far as the cub goes, you have hit the mark. That is the greatest first plane ever. I have one fully tricked out now, but in stock form I taught several people to fly it in an hour. I have the greatest confidence that most anyone can take it out of the box and learn to fly themselves with little to no instruction. I have lots of videos of our cubs on youtube, any search for hobbyzone super cub will load you with information. I have skis, floats, brushless motor, bomb drop, aileron mods, the works. The plane is awesome to learn on and with some easy mods can be fun for anyone for years to come. It's also super durable and easy to repair with the simplest of materials. I hope you have as much fun as I have with it. I'm even getting another one next summer for my 11 year old son to fly on his own.

Chap1012

Ok, so Heli arrived Monday as planned. Stayed in all morning to sign for. Opened up parcel slowly, enjoying the moment, checked through carefully and all look good. Went for my first test flight to start trimming and something just wasn't right. Lost power after about 1 min. Tried other cell. Same. Checked transmitter. All ok. Think its a motor problem. Contacted seller. Sending back tomorrow:( will fit new motor or replace heli.
Still getting sim tomorrow so will be able to get some training in :)

Miss her already :(

Bummer Dude. You did top off the battery, wait about 15 minutes and then test fly...right?

Mike.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
+1 on the Supercub
Not only for the best trainer but quite possibly the best plane ever.
Great for learning to fly as long as you disable the ACT and then once you get bored with this little plane there are tons of easy upgrades to keep you interested.
Bomb drop, a big crowd pleaser, especially if there are kids around
Second favorite trick, hand launch and then unlimited vertical climb

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
+1 on the Supercub
Not only for the best trainer but quite possibly the best plane ever.
Great for learning to fly as long as you disable the ACT and then once you get bored with this little plane there are tons of easy upgrades to keep you interested.
Bomb drop, a big crowd pleaser, especially if there are kids around
Second favorite trick, hand launch and then unlimited vertical climb

Everyone says the ACT (anti crash technology) is crap. Disable that.