Need a better (bigger and slower) trainer aircraft

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Bigger flys easier, and is easier to see

You might even consider the Scout XL not too fast, big, and should handle great. I scaled up a simple scout to about the same size and it does very well.

2X on the Scout XL. Not only will it fit the bill of your good sized trainer, but it's also an all around good performer and a joy to fly.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi, I love your videos and hope your community can be of some help. I flew Phantoms (WSO) in Vietnam and Europe, then went on to two careers in engineering. Now that I am finally retired, I am trying to start RC fixed-wing flying, at an age that many people are leaving the hobby. My eyes and my reaction time are good for, I hate to say it, a man of my age, but not what they were in my 20's. I bought a BNF Aeroscout and NX6 radio. An instructor at my local club has been very helpful but I am still having difficulties. He wants me to keep it high so I have room to recover from errors - I agree, but at any great height or distance the Aeroscout is just a dot and I can't tell what it is doing. Also, the Aeroscout is rather fast for a novice and light enough to get tossed by gusts. I think a different aircraft may be called for; something BIG enough to see clearly at distance and SLOW enough that I can keep up with it. One possibility I thought of was building a longer thicker wing for the Aeroscout. Maybe someone has some recommendations or could design a bigger aircraft that is not overpowered and crawls through the air at walking speed.

First, thank you for your service brother! Did you fly Wild Weasels by any chance? I served in Desert Shield/Storm as a jammer jockey (load toad) on F-16's (and later B-52's and A-10's). As other's have stated, it's never to late to start. I started pretty late myself. Stick with it, you got this!

I started with Flite Test planes... scratch building, mostly crashing, repairing, rebuilding, then flying and repeating. You sound like the kind of guy who would love the build process almost as much as flying. I would suggest picking up some foam board, getting some free FT plans, getting the recommended electronics for it, and go for it! Many people have gotten started that way, myself included. As a few others have already suggested, I think the FT Simple Scout XL might be a great place to start. The FT Simple Storch may be another option for you as well. I'll link to the plans for the Scout XL and my plans index (you can grab the Storch plans from there) below:

Welcome to the Flite Test family, and best of luck with your new hobby. Reach out anytime with questions.