Solved Need a common source for pushrod wire!

evranch

I forgot to buy pushrods on my last trip to the hobby shop! Now I have all the parts for my first FPV build (probably an Explorer) but no pushrods. I'm right out of stock. I won't be going back to the big city for weeks as it's 300km round trip. A long way for $3 of pushrods.

I am in a smaller city for today and tomorrow, one with no hobby shops. Looking for a pushrod alternative that can be bought at Dollar tree, Walmart, Canadian tire or similar... any ideas?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For short pushrods I often use large paperclips that I straighten. If a little too small in length I have been known to extend them with a BBQ Skewer.

For large models I do use bicycle spokes.

Craft wire can be used but it is generally a little too soft and should be supported in a plastic tube for almost its entire length.
Some have used wire from survey flags or the like.

Welding wire from MIG system can also be used if available and of suitable strength/diameter.

Actually almost anything that is somewhat lightweight/rigid and of suitable form can be used and if necessary have the ends attached using cut up paper clip lengths.

Just a few of the things I have used, and still use!

have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Paracodespoder & @w1lp33, marking flags are all I use. A farm supply store is the best, tile marking flags, they are longer. A hardware or building supply store will also have them. They may also have music wire.

evranch

I looked all over for music wire, including at two hardware stores, and asked for it or for any other "long thin rods" to no avail. Also considered MIG wire but what was available was wrapped tightly on small spools and would need support. I thought of TIG filler rods but couldn't find any here, they are a big city thing.

Marker flags sound like a good call as do bicycle spokes! The BBQ skewer/paperclip ends rod is also interesting, it sounds lightweight and stiff. Thanks a lot everyone for your help, I will go find something tomorrow!

Both sound a little big in diameter for 9g servo horns, so maybe big paperclips at the ends? How do you go about attaching the paperclips to larger rods, I'm guessing epoxy or super glue?

I looked all over for music wire, including at two hardware stores, and asked for it or for any other "long thin rods" to no avail. Also considered MIG wire but what was available was wrapped tightly on small spools and would need support. I thought of TIG filler rods but couldn't find any here, they are a big city thing.

Marker flags sound like a good call as do bicycle spokes! The BBQ skewer/paperclip ends rod is also interesting, it sounds lightweight and stiff. Thanks a lot everyone for your help, I will go find something tomorrow!

Both sound a little big in diameter for 9g servo horns, so maybe big paperclips at the ends? How do you go about attaching the paperclips to larger rods, I'm guessing epoxy or super glue?

I've used wire on both ends with BBQ skewers, secured with wiring heat-shrink. Hope that might help...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

I use a couple of methods including heatshrink over epoxy, simple solder, and even whipping, (sort of binding), using cotton followed by an application of CA over the whipped joint. (Fishing rod runners used whipping as a method of runner attachment).

Just what works for me!

have fun!

evranch

I grew up on the ocean sailing and fishing so I'm no stranger to whipping. Sounds like it would be one of the more robust methods.

The Explorer needs long rods for the boom, as well as some flex in the rudder rod, so I don't think BBQs are going to cut it. Flags are probably my best bet if they are long enough. If not I might be able to tack weld two together or use JB weld. I will keep my eyes out for bicycle spokes as my scrap pile no longer contains old bicycles.

I do have plenty of very robust and stiff high-tensile fence wire, but it has a real tendency to spring back to its native coiled form if not tensioned to a hundred pounds or so.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Sounds like lots of good innovation here. I went on Ebay and found some spring steel wire in good lengths.

Keno

Amazon has many selections of music wire (K&S) that is were I get my .047 pushrods wire.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Both sound a little big in diameter for 9g servo horns,
I drill out the hole in the servos horns. Take a piece of the marker flag, with a Dremal tool, cut a bevel. Use as a dril bit. The hole will be a perfect match. An alternative, drill the hole with an exacto knife. Drill from both sides.

evranch

I got the flags! They look like the thick pushrods I like to use anyways, which I just drill for with a regular bit. They are thinner than the ones our utility company uses, which are really thick.

Now to find a coffee stirrer guide for them. Canadian coffee stirrers are not tubes, they are flat. Usually I just make straight runs with my rods, I don't bend them. Maybe I'll just guide them with slotted or drilled foamboard.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Now to find a coffee stirrer guide for them. Canadian coffee stirrers are not tubes, they are flat. Usually I just make straight runs with my rods, I don't bend them. Maybe I'll just guide them with slotted or drilled foamboard.

I've never been to a Canadian bar, but you might try looking into cocktail straws. They're essentially the same thing.