Need Advice on the ReadytoFlyer 2.5.2 Flight Controller

BankNYank!

Mentor
First off, here is a link to what I'm looking at.

My first questions I suppose would be, is this an APM? Is it version 2.5 or 2.6? It says 2.5 but the first thing listed under "Features" it says APM 2.6. I'm guessing this is a knock off. Does it have all the same features as an APM 2.5 or 2.6? If it is a knock-off, is it going to be close to as good of quality as the original?

I've been reading and researching a lot but I have pretty much no experience with all the different flight controllers and how they function in the real world.

I recently scratch built an H-Quad and its using an kk2.1.5 and it fly's great! I want to add GPS mainly for loitering because I am going to be using my H-Quad to shoot aerial video at events. I like the APM 2.5 because of all the stuff you can do with it and all the different flight modes it has. This gives me more options down the road should I want the FC to do other things later on. I like the idea of waypoint navigation and editing that on the fly with a laptop. I know the APM 2.6 is the new version but I have no problem buying yesterdays tech if it will serve my purpose.

I have set a $150 budget for a flight controller. I'm open to other suggestions as well. If you know of something that will work better and still keep me on budget I'm willing to take a look at it.

I have a few more questions but this should get things started in the right direction.

Thank you for reading my post and thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions and comments!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
It's funny you posted this. This is a APM. The main difference between an 2.5 vs 2.6 is the onboard magnetometer/compass -- 2.6 boards don't have one. You can convert a 2.5 to a 2.6 by cutting a trace on the board with a razor. I just ordered a 2.5.2 from ReadyToFlyQuads/Paul, and a Pixhawk. These are all opensource hardware and software projects, so there are no "clones" exactly, just less expensive implementations. Same with KK and multiwii.

I just placed my order, and will let you know. My first APM was ordered from ebay, shipped from China. It worked, except for the onboard compass AND the external compass. Neither worked, and I just don't trust APM with GPS only even on a fixed wing plane, which is my purpose now with eventually trying a tricopter.

BankNYank!

Mentor
It's funny you posted this. This is a APM. The main difference between an 2.5 vs 2.6 is the onboard magnetometer/compass -- 2.6 boards don't have one. You can convert a 2.5 to a 2.6 by cutting a trace on the board with a razor. I just ordered a 2.5.2 from ReadyToFlyQuads/Paul, and a Pixhawk. These are all opensource hardware and software projects, so there are no "clones" exactly, just less expensive implementations. Same with KK and multiwii.

That was one of my other questions. So the ReadtoFlyer 2.5.6 is just as good hardware wise as the ReadytoFlyer 2.6? Cuz it's only six bucks more. And is the hardware of the ReadytoFlyer series comparable to the 3DR hardware?

So my next question is, what do I need? There's all kinds of different options and add-ons. I'm guessing the "house" uBlox is not as good as the $25 one? And if so whats the difference between the $25 one and the $55 one? There's nothing to differentiate between the two. They have the exact same name just one has a bigger price tag. Then next is the OSD/Telemetry. Is this the radio system that allows me to communicate with the APM with a laptop running mission planner while its in the air? What is the preferred band 915 or 433? I'm guessing I'll be running 5.8 down the road for fpv and I'm currently running a Spektrum DSM2/X so 2.4 there. I also have my amateur radio license. Figured I'd throw that out there since both 915 and 433 frequencies fall in the amateur band. I know that while 433mhz will generally go further more easily, the antenna is going to be bigger. Is there any known issues with harmonic interference with 2.4 or 5.8 by either 915 or 433? Sorry about those questions. Guess I can break out the calculator and figure those out myself! :p So basically which gps and which telemetry is the best bang for the buck?

EDIT: One last thing I noticed. Do I need to get the power module with the UBEC or will it run off the esc's UBEC okay?

I just ordered a 2.5.2 from ReadyToFlyQuads/Paul, and a Pixhawk.

Get ready for shipped from China speeds when ordering from RTFQ! I'm not complaining! I'm happy for the man that his business is doing so good! Just be prepared for a wait. I just ordered from him about three weeks ago. It took ten days to ship, and that's with no special soldering. I ordered my FC without the pins soldered. Now granted he did do one day shipping and I only live like maybe an hour from him so my order was here the minute it left Paul's hand! But just in case you haven't ordered from him before I wanted to prepare you! ;)

Last edited: