Need Advice! Taking off on grass

TreyCoop

Hi! I am currently in the process of building a 3D-printed airplane. I would like to have the plane take off on grass or turf. However, when I have tested it previously it has gotten stuck and will not takeoff. I am planning to print skinnier and larger diameter wheels for the plane to help it push through grass blades. However, I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to the design of the wheels or plane to help it take off. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20220528_165527.jpg
    20220528_165527.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
I would not go thinner as thinner will let it sink down farther into the grass, have enough power?

Taildragger

Legendary member
Hi! I am currently in the process of building a 3D-printed airplane. I would like to have the plane take off on grass or turf. However, when I have tested it previously it has gotten stuck and will not takeoff. I am planning to print skinnier and larger diameter wheels for the plane to help it push through grass blades. However, I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to the design of the wheels or plane to help it take off. Thank you in advance!
You will want larger diameter and “fatter” tires to float on the grass
1653785997742.png

TreyCoop

I would not go thinner as thinner will let it sink down farther into the grass, have enough power?
Well I'm pretty sure I have enough power. I initially tested it on a turf field and it accelerated. However, I tested it on a different field this time around and it got stuck (I guess the turf is too tall).

TyreseFox

Building a 3D-printed airplane sounds like an exciting project! Reminds me of when I was trying to get my RC car to zoom smoothly over my thyme lawn. I found that increasing the wheel diameter and slimming them down helped a lot. You might also consider adding some tread patterns for better grip on grass.

Last edited: