Need battery/adapter combo

muddywilson

Hello everybody, I'd like to try my hand at building a lightweight foam board DLG style glider, but my receiver only has servo style connectors and I'm struggling to find batteries with the right connector, does anyone know of any good battery choices, my receiver is a graupner gr-12 and can take anywhere from 3.6-8.4V

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Don't connect your receiver direct to a battery, the voltage is too variable. Instead use a separate BEC like this one. It will provide a smooth controlled 5v for your receiver and servos.

muddywilson

Okay thanks! I'll look around for somewhere I can order one with connectors attached, or is that the kinda thing I'd need to make a trip to a hobby shop for?

FDS

Elite member
You can get them with servo plugs on, but those still might not fit how you want. If you are building lightweight you will probably want a 1s battery so be sure whatever you but can take 3.8v input.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I would not use a 1S battery for fear of voltage sag causing a brownout of the receiver if a servo takes too much current. Most servos need 4.8 to 6v to function you would need to choose low voltage servos to go 1S.

muddywilson

Does a bec keep the voltage up? If not, it shouldn't be to awful hard to find low voltage servos, though I'm struggling to find a 1 cell compatable bec anyway haha

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Does a bec keep the voltage up? If not, it shouldn't be to awful hard to find low voltage servos, though I'm struggling to find a 1 cell compatable bec anyway haha
A BEC normally supplies a fixed voltage to the Rx, (Nominally 5Volts).

If you are looking for a plug to connect either a battery, or a BEC to the Rx and you are able to solder you can rework a bind plug for the task!

Have fun!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
I don't know of a BEC that raises the voltage most will take input from a 2S battery upwards and deliver a nice clean 5v and a rated current.

FDS

Elite member
You can use a 2A “step up” circuit (eBay) to supply 5v from 1s. You set the output voltage with a meter then any input voltage is stepped up/down to match.
You might find a 300-400mah 2s battery and Bec is the same weight as a step up converter and 400mah 1s battery.
You will want low draw, light servos for your build too, so a 2-3A Bec or step up circuit should be enough.