Help! Need Cargo Plane Inspiration

mountaindewdude76

I've been flying rc planes and helicopters for about 9 years. I have a buddy that has been flying planes for about a year. We've decided to join forces and scratch build a large cargo plane. We'll most likely be using 4x8 sheets of insulation foam from Lowe's/Home Depot and, of course, our beloved Dollar Tree foamboard. I've been looking through Google searches and Youtube videos...taking screen captures while looking for ideas. I'm just wondering what kind of inspiration the Flite Test people can offer me.

If you have pics or videos, please share them and I'd be grateful. My plane is to take any inspiration from here, and the screen captures that I've already gotten, and I'll show them to my buddy. Then it will be up to him to decide what we build.

Thanks for your time!!!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I've been flying rc planes and helicopters for about 9 years. I have a buddy that has been flying planes for about a year. We've decided to join forces and scratch build a large cargo plane. We'll most likely be using 4x8 sheets of insulation foam from Lowe's/Home Depot and, of course, our beloved Dollar Tree foamboard. I've been looking through Google searches and Youtube videos...taking screen captures while looking for ideas. I'm just wondering what kind of inspiration the Flite Test people can offer me.

If you have pics or videos, please share them and I'd be grateful. My plane is to take any inspiration from here, and the screen captures that I've already gotten, and I'll show them to my buddy. Then it will be up to him to decide what we build.

Thanks for your time!!!

Cabbie not big enough?

FDS

Elite member
So build a regular Guinea Pig, it’s a very capable plane that can lift lots of fun stuff or do a 150% Guinea. Use foamboard or the thicker “giant foam” it’s easier, cleaner, and quicker than making a complex laminated foam wing.

mountaindewdude76

So build a regular Guinea Pig, it’s a very capable plane that can lift lots of fun stuff or do a 150% Guinea. Use foamboard or the thicker “giant foam” it’s easier, cleaner, and quicker than making a complex laminated foam wing.

I've always loved the FT Guinea Pig. I bought the speed build kit, last year. I built it...flew it....loved it....gave it to my Dad, lol.

Building a larger Guinea Pig might be a possibility. Ultimately, the decision is up to my buddy. I'm down to build anything.

mountaindewdude76

I was just looking at the Cargo Plane video when the guys drove the Gen 8 crawler out of the back. During the build, I think I saw Bixler fold the wing over with the wing spar. Is the wing spar really just foamboard that is cut in a squared "U" shape, or channel, and then glued to the wing? Theres no carbon nor wood reinforcement? Is that right?

mach1 rc

Master member
I was just looking at the Cargo Plane video when the guys drove the Gen 8 crawler out of the back. During the build, I think I saw Bixler fold the wing over with the wing spar. Is the wing spar really just foamboard that is cut in a squared "U" shape, or channel, and then glued to the wing? Theres no carbon nor wood reinforcement? Is that right?

I think they did a metal strand from one wing under the fuselage and on to the other wing

mountaindewdude76

I'm looking more and more at the Skyvan that Bixler built.

FT Skyvan.png

Would anyone have any educated guesses on some specs of this plane?

For example:

Fuselage length, width, height
Wingspan and chord
length and width of the vertical and horizontal stabs.

If not, that's ok. I'm sure we can build something that will be very similar. Thats one of the magic things about scratch building.....it just can't be "wrong"

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Maybe one of the old trimotor D.332 plane from France? It has a skinnier fuse, so it is good for dropping parachute guys, but not planes like the punjet. Sure the full scale crashed, but it looks cool ;) It wasn't a cargo plane, but it is a trimotor which means it should have enough power to lift any cargo. I first heard of it from a model aviation news article that was written in the 30s.
413A6370-2F91-4ED6-8651-57E5A4B5CB0B.jpeg

evranch

I would love to see a plan release for that skyvan as I need a plane like that. Just like you say, it would make a great starting point for engineering other large foamboard cargo planes. Coming up with prop/motor combinations can be hard when the lifting gets heavier - it's one reason I like FT plans because they are all based off of standard power packages.

There is a plan for an FT "Monster Cruiser" that is far from cargo, but could get you a start with a wing profile and a twin power package in this scale using regular foamboard: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-test-monster-cruiser.60009/

mach1 rc

Master member
I'm looking more and more at the Skyvan that Bixler built.

View attachment 153032
Would anyone have any educated guesses on some specs of this plane?

For example:

Fuselage length, width, height
Wingspan and chord
length and width of the vertical and horizontal stabs.

If not, that's ok. I'm sure we can build something that will be very similar. Thats one of the magic things about scratch building.....it just can't be "wrong"
That would be awesome