Solved Need guidance

Mandoman21

1). I have a power pack B from a wrecked simple scout that did very well for me. I’m interested in building a wing and was looking through the compatibility for power pack B electronics. I came across the Versa wing being compatible, but after further investigation I noticed the power pack suggested was C and the minimum KV was 1200 while the power pack B motor is 1050 KV brushless. Was wondering if I could still run the versa wing on the power B or if the power pack C is needed.

2). I bought a radial 1050 KV motor to replace a motor that came with the original power pack B I bought for the simple scout mentioned above. The new radial motor seemed to have a lot of torque and caused the plane to veer off uncontrollably, after many attempts to fly and repairs it ended up in a tree rendering the airframe useless. I’m somewhat new to the hobby, and thought the issue may have been a too heavy or light of a prop(10.45) in terms of the actual weight of the prop. Or the airframe/motor was just through too many crashes and repairs. The airframe flew great before the brushless 1050 KV.

Overall I’m very pleased with the content you guys produce and appreciate any direction or support you can supply.
Cheers! -Kendell

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
And I welcome you to the forums as well. I like how you started out with the Scout, you made a good choice there. Going to a wing is a great ambitious step, especially coming in as a fairly new pilot. I dig it. I have an idea though and just hear me out for a second, and I think you might like it. There is a plane, or even a style of plane (prop-n-slot), you could try that would be an excellent transition into the flying wing format... The FT-22 Raptor! This is a plane I would suggest for a few reasons.

1. It is a pusher plane which helps in saving props on crashes especially for a newish pilot, and shares this same feature with a lot of wings.
2. It uses elevons which mixes ailerons and elevators as you control surfaces, a characteristic also shared with wings.
3. The balance is very forgiving, you can move the CG back to make a nice easy slow park flyer which is great to learn on or move the CG forward and open it up to some really good speeds, unlike the very sensitive balance of any flying wing.

Wings can be tough to get the balance just right and can be frustrating for a new pilot. There is a lot of uncertainties when you first start flying, add to that the confusion of trying to diagnose problems, whether its a plane issue or a pilot issue, could it have been the weather or orientation. I remember when i first started flying i would get a plane up and all but forget my name. If a crash took place and you asked me what happened I couldn't tell you, I was just reacting to the plane. The plane was flying me instead of me flying the plane. Like I said it was just a suggestion to think about

Take a little trip on YouTube just to do a little research and let us know what you think. Again welcome.

Mandoman21

Thanks for the help everyone! And yes that is a Corsair in my avatar, I will post more later. I’m not ashamed to say that I’m a better builder in my opinion than a pilot. The master series Corsair provided a bit of a challenge, but turned out great. I’m waiting on better weather to take it up again

Mandoman21

And I welcome you to the forums as well. I like how you started out with the Scout, you made a good choice there. Going to a wing is a great ambitious step, especially coming in as a fairly new pilot. I dig it. I have an idea though and just hear me out for a second, and I think you might like it. There is a plane, or even a style of plane (prop-n-slot), you could try that would be an excellent transition into the flying wing format... The FT-22 Raptor! This is a plane I would suggest for a few reasons.

1. It is a pusher plane which helps in saving props on crashes especially for a newish pilot, and shares this same feature with a lot of wings.
2. It uses elevons which mixes ailerons and elevators as you control surfaces, a characteristic also shared with wings.
3. The balance is very forgiving, you can move the CG back to make a nice easy slow park flyer which is great to learn on or move the CG forward and open it up to some really good speeds, unlike the very sensitive balance of any flying wing.

Wings can be tough to get the balance just right and can be frustrating for a new pilot. There is a lot of uncertainties when you first start flying, add to that the confusion of trying to diagnose problems, whether its a plane issue or a pilot issue, could it have been the weather or orientation. I remember when i first started flying i would get a plane up and all but forget my name. If a crash took place and you asked me what happened I couldn't tell you, I was just reacting to the plane. The plane was flying me instead of me flying the plane. Like I said it was just a suggestion to think about

Take a little trip on YouTube just to do a little research and let us know what you think. Again welcome.
Thank you!

skymaster

Elite member
hello and welcome. like BATTLEAXE said versa wing's are a little bit of challenge if you make it a pusher you have to add quite a bit of weight to the front. on mine i have the old power pack B and have it as a pusher so i had to add some metal locks to the front to get it to balance. but if you want to use the power pod at the front should be easier to balance. for me the trainer was the tiny trainer and the mighty mini arrow i built it like four times cause i had the power pack F on it the thing lived to it's name super fast and very maneuverable, loved to soar like 2" above the grass and them punch it right up looked awesome. main thing is to have fun.

Mandoman21

T
hello and welcome. like BATTLEAXE said versa wing's are a little bit of challenge if you make it a pusher you have to add quite a bit of weight to the front. on mine i have the old power pack B and have it as a pusher so i had to add some metal locks to the front to get it to balance. but if you want to use the power pod at the front should be easier to balance. for me the trainer was the tiny trainer and the mighty mini arrow i built it like four times cause i had the power pack F on it the thing lived to it's name super fast and very maneuverable, loved to soar like 2" above the grass and them punch it right up looked awesome. main thing is to have fun.
Thanks for the input👍🏼

Mandoman21

I built the F-22 raptor! Printed out the plans the entire thing went great! Might maiden tonight if I have enough light👍🏼

Mandoman21

I built the F-22 raptor with the printable scratch plans! Whole process went smoothly and I’m very satisfied with the plane so far. Toughest part was looking for and downloading software on the computer to format the plans to use less paper when printed out and to turn the pdf into a tiled product. But there was a very good yt video on the whole process very helpful. Might maiden it tonight if I have enough light. Also went and sliced my thumb with the box cutter while salvaging servos from an old airframe. Lessons learned👍🏼

Attachments

• DCC51F32-9514-40B5-A6FD-7F9BA526E3D5.jpeg
    DCC51F32-9514-40B5-A6FD-7F9BA526E3D5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 76A8C7BC-9F11-4593-9DD4-2B906B54A238.jpeg
    76A8C7BC-9F11-4593-9DD4-2B906B54A238.jpeg
    982.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0A866168-5F21-42C7-A711-E754E3232849.jpeg
    0A866168-5F21-42C7-A711-E754E3232849.jpeg
    640.6 KB · Views: 0
  • C537E4DA-45B2-41FF-B5AC-0C412997C36D.jpeg
    C537E4DA-45B2-41FF-B5AC-0C412997C36D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1A5BFD97-A5FE-4C71-BDC0-AC7D3BFF7CFB.jpeg
    1A5BFD97-A5FE-4C71-BDC0-AC7D3BFF7CFB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 6374B367-3036-4438-9BC5-C7A23A7AF151.jpeg
    6374B367-3036-4438-9BC5-C7A23A7AF151.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I built the F-22 raptor with the printable scratch plans! Whole process went smoothly and I’m very satisfied with the plane so far. Toughest part was looking for and downloading software on the computer to format the plans to use less paper when printed out and to turn the pdf into a tiled product. But there was a very good yt video on the whole process very helpful. Might maiden it tonight if I have enough light. Also went and sliced my thumb with the box cutter while salvaging servos from an old airframe. Lessons learned👍🏼
That looks pretty sweet, Makes me mods mine.

Hey have you heard of the ironed edges technique, seals up the raw edges?

Chicks dig scars, especially from a hobby injury :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Good luck on the maiden, it will fly easily at about half throttle, launch it at around 70% and you should be good (y)

Mandoman21

Good luck on the maiden, it will fly easily at about half throttle, launch it at around 70% and you should be good (y)
Thanks! It flew great. Also thanks for putting me on to the raptor I appreciate your help!

Mandoman21

And yeah it’ll make a good scar😂 I think it went to the bone

Mandoman21

Also I have heard of the ironed edges technique, haven’t really looked into how to do it, obviously with an iron but all the other details. I’ll give it a shot👍🏼

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Also I have heard of the ironed edges technique, haven’t really looked into how to do it, obviously with an iron but all the other details. I’ll give it a shot👍🏼
I have a video series on it, check it out, here is a link. It is a series of 3 vids, each leads to the next at the end. Like and subscribe if you like it

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Awesome! I sure loved my FT-22's!