Need Halp! My Bat Bone does not look like the one on the package!

Slamazon

My Bat Bone does not look like the one in the picture on the package. I could call it Bat Bone X Bat Bone X.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Slamazon,

SHAME ON YOU!!!!

Posting an awesome pic like that without spec's!!!!! And no flight video!!!! What are you thinking, Man?!? ;)

A seriously creative setup you'e got there :applause:
So whatja got running in it?

Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

Slamazon

This build started out as a salvage of a BlueskyRC Hex. One motor and esc gave up on me and landed in a tree. broke a few booms on the crash to the ground. So I started looking through the Flite Test Store for my next victim. The BlueSkyRC hex was a great kit but Hexes=more potential failures so I started to think simpler, TRI-copter? Found the Bat Bone kit then started immediately complicating it, LOL. List of parts, two Bat Bones frame kits, 2 straight motor mount kits 13-370, 4 booms cut to 168 mm, two 1/2"x28 1/2" booms glued side by side with clear Gorilla Glue, 4 Suppo BL-2208/14 motors (will upgrade later), ESC's HW 30A, Ardupilot Mega 2.6 controller, Fr sky TFR6-A (home made 90degree antenna booms) RX Futaba 8fg TX, Fatshark 250mw video TX, 2x 2200 mah 3s Lipo, and two 6" servo extensions. Im sure I missed some odds and ends velcro ext. I started building it today but I hope to fly it tomorrow weather permitting. It measures 450mm center to center of the prop nuts. The CG is just in front of the rear Bat Bone frame dead center of the Ardupilot with the gopro on. I have a Finwing 390 Pan & Tilt for the gopro, going to remove the pan.

Last edited:

Slamazon

Thanks for the welcome Craftydan. I'm that guy who builds a 50 mph 66 CC motorized bicycle just because I am Bored.
CTS Cement 001.jpg
Always looking for that next build.

Last edited:

Slamazon

First Flight was not fun. the center boom is too soft, it twists like crazy. I just ordered a 1/2"x 1" aluminum center boom off ebay. this should fix the twist. As it was hovering the rear twisted opposite of the front and just spun in a circle. Its humid here and boom feels softer than it did a few days ago. I will update when I make progress.

Thanks for your interest.

Mustang7302

Slamazon, I see you're from Houston. We get together on the west side of town on Sunday mornings to fly. If you're on the west side of town, drop me a PM if you're interested to come flying with us.

Slamazon

Video of first flight, its kind of grainy (I-Kam Extreme video glasses). Will set up Gopro next time.

Slamazon

Complete redesign of the Bat Bone X. Had to make some design changes, a trade off of style vs performance as the quad was too floppy with that long center beam. I purchased an aluminum beam that would have done the job to stiffen it up but would have added too much weight and i'm trying to stay as cheap as I can on this build and still get what I want out of it. Fold-able fpv quad that is lightweight and bad&$s. I hope you like what I have done and it flies great! will upload videos later
Batbone X Folded.jpg
Folded
Batbone X.jpg
Ready to Fly

Attachments

• Bat Bone X.jpg
    Bat Bone X.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:

DDSFlyer

I like the new look better. Was gonna suggest that. I actually thought watching the video you were flying it backwards...
Great build, how compact did it turn out to be folded? Looking forward to the new videos

Slamazon

I like the new look better. Was gonna suggest that. I actually thought watching the video you were flying it backwards...
Great build, how compact did it turn out to be folded? Looking forward to the new videos

Folded down it will fit in one of those nice aluminum cases from Harbor Freight. I had both designs in mind when I started, my inspiration for the first build was the Alien bumble bee quad. Since I have changed it I like the reverse bat bone build better, not so floppy and more compact.

Slamazon

Swapped the suppo-2208-14 1450kv Motors for DJI 2212-920kv motors with 8x4.5 carbon props for longer flight times.

Bat Bone X2 RTF.jpg

Bat Bone X2 Folded.jpg

DDSFlyer

That thing is looking sweeter and sweeter with each modification. So you are saying this is smaller than a stock Bat Bone? (from your response in another thread) how good are those motors? My father in law has the phantom, I wonder how much the flight times different?