Need help choosing first airplane

Mantanatos

Hello everyone,

I have been passionate about flying RC airplanes for a long time and have even made my own freestyle drone. Now, I am looking to expand my hobby and delve into planes, but I am unsure of what to buy.

I have experience building the nnChuckStang and nnChuck F-16 planes, which I thoroughly enjoy. However, I am looking to try something new, something that is powered and compact in size, similar to the Chuck planes.

I have explored Flite Test's range of planes, but most of them seem to be too large for my liking. However, I came across their "Micro Plane Projects" on YouTube and found them to be a perfect fit for me. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the required parts to build these planes.

Since I already own a FrSky qx7 for my drone, I am looking for a plane that is compatible with this receiver. Could you recommend a plane that is both easy to assemble and a joy to fly?

Please don't hesitate to let me know if my request is too ambitious. Although I prefer to keep the project as small as possible, I am open to building something larger if needed.

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
The challenge with tiny planes is they don't fly nearly as well as larger variants. Wind and small planes don't really go together.

quorneng

Master member
Bigger and slower is the mantra for your own first plane.
A slower flying 'gentle' plane may sound boring but it gives you time to learn how to react with your fingers to what you see the plane is doing. It takes lots of practise before it becomes a natural reaction. Humans do not have it built in so the brain has to learn how to do it without actually thinking what to do.
Pick calm weather days too otherwise you won't know what is happening to the plane is down to your inputs or the effect of the wind & gusts.

RossFPV

Hello everyone,

I have been passionate about flying RC airplanes for a long time and have even made my own freestyle drone. Now, I am looking to expand my hobby and delve into planes, but I am unsure of what to buy.

I have experience building the nnChuckStang and nnChuck F-16 planes, which I thoroughly enjoy. However, I am looking to try something new, something that is powered and compact in size, similar to the Chuck planes.

I have explored Flite Test's range of planes, but most of them seem to be too large for my liking. However, I came across their "Micro Plane Projects" on YouTube and found them to be a perfect fit for me. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find the required parts to build these planes.

Since I already own a FrSky qx7 for my drone, I am looking for a plane that is compatible with this receiver. Could you recommend a plane that is both easy to assemble and a joy to fly?

Please don't hesitate to let me know if my request is too ambitious. Although I prefer to keep the project as small as possible, I am open to building something larger if needed.
If you fly fpv freestyle you probably have a spare motor so all you need is the servos esc and receiver. If you want fpv you might want to look at the ft arrow. They had drone Guys fly them and they had a blast.

Mantanatos

If you fly fpv freestyle you probably have a spare motor so all you need is the servos esc and receiver. If you want fpv you might want to look at the ft arrow. They had drone Guys fly them and they had a blast.
I fly mainly 4s, so I have 2207 2600kv motors laying around, will these qualify for a plane?

Mantanatos

Bigger and slower is the mantra for your own first plane.
A slower flying 'gentle' plane may sound boring but it gives you time to learn how to react with your fingers to what you see the plane is doing. It takes lots of practise before it becomes a natural reaction. Humans do not have it built in so the brain has to learn how to do it without actually thinking what to do.
Pick calm weather days too otherwise you won't know what is happening to the plane is down to your inputs or the effect of the wind & gusts.
Yeah, I really don't mind it to be slower. I am practising flying using AeroFly RC now, but I really want to fly in real life.
What is a mantra?

Mantanatos

Yeah that motor should be good, most of the mini flitetest planes use 3s batteries and you can use your drone props too.
Do you recommend any plans for this motor? I think its quite a fast motor. Maybe something easy to build.
I can even make a 2 prop plane maybe? I have 3 spare motors.

MrKilometer

The Arrow is a good second or third plane, but it's probably too much for your first, and you probably want to start with something that has a rudder. I've heard that the Tiny Trainer is good, as well as the Explorer. Ailerons will add complexity, but it sounds like you might be able to handle that. Depending upon what size airplane you end up building, you might want to go with a 2s battery and an APC slow fly/regular prop (definitely don't buy a speed prop for your first plane).

Mantanatos

The Arrow is a good second or third plane, but it's probably too much for your first, and you probably want to start with something that has a rudder. I've heard that the Tiny Trainer is good, as well as the Explorer. Ailerons will add complexity, but it sounds like you might be able to handle that. Depending upon what size airplane you end up building, you might want to go with a 2s battery and an APC slow fly/regular prop (definitely don't buy a speed prop for your first plane).
Tiny Trainer sounds good. Will my motors will work just fine with a 2s battery (2207 2600kv)?
What other parts should I buy? 25A ESC? 5g servos? What size prop?

quorneng

Master member
mantra
"to cultivate a particular state of mind, in which their meaning seeps into the subconscious to transform negativity."

JDSnavely

Our family loves the Tiny Trainer. Flys great on 2S. Very fast with 3S. I like using this to train others. I made a TT with the black dollar tree foam board (DTFB) which is lighter. Use 2S and still flies great just a little slower. My son uses his FT TT with 3S and it is his goto plane. Fast and very aerobatic. If 3S be careful with tight loops with regular packing tape.

Shurik-1960

I created a theme a long time ago : https://rcopen.com/forum/f37/topic536537 . Watch it through the translator. Models from the Chinese throwing glider fly wonderfully. I have 6 models : motor glider, non-motorized wing, motor wing, non-motorized glider with rotary wings, FPV motor glider. Your high-speed engine will fit this model.