Need help deciding what my next step in this hobby should be (FT Gremlin or DIY 5")

Aquilifer

Need help deciding what my next step in this hobby should be (FT Gremlin or DIY 5")

Hi everyone,

As of now I have a self built tiny whoop that I've been flying for the past few months using a DXe transmitter and an EACHINE headset. Recently I've purchased the simulator Liftoff and have been putting in hours on that and its gotten me eager to progress. I'm looking to make my next purchase but I've been having problems finding information so I was hoping someone could provide me a few answers or a recomendation. The main thing that I want is something I can fly outside FPV for under the 250$ mark.

I've been looking at the FT Gremlin and like that I can still fly it inside but it looks big and powerful enough to fly outside. I know it has level mode but can you tune its max angles and sensitivity? This is something I've been doing recently in my SIM practice. I've also been trying ACRO mode in my sim and was wondering if the gremlin is capable of that.

My other option would be a bigger DIY quad. I have the time coming up to build and tune a quad and have watched many videos on the subject. I've also seen people showing parts list for beginner quads that fit in my price range. I also saw the in depth beginner post on this forum that I can go through.

Any way I was hoping to have my few questions answered and maybe a recommendation on what path you guys think I should take.

Thank you

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think the Gremlin is a perfect next step, especially if you're comfortable with building/soldering already and willing to work in a cramped space :)

Yes, you get all the angle & sensitivity type configurations (including Acro and Horizon modes) with the Betaflight software in either the Gremlin or pretty much any other DIY 5". The flight controller software is going to be the same, just the size of the frame and components are different.

And with the Gremlin you get a whole community building lots of different frame mods that work with the same components - at a very affordable price.

And also, Welcome to the Forums! :)

Aquilifer

Thanks for your response and the welcome!

It's great hearing that the Gremlin can do all I want. I hope you don't mind answering a few more questions. Now the parts from the FT store I was looking at are the femto FC, 4 6A ESC, 4 red bottom motors, and then a lot of props. The things I'm not sure on are the camera/mount and a battery. I don't see any mount listed but I was going to get a camera similar to my tiny whoop.

And with the battery I have no idea but I see the 2S batterys but would go with 3S for better flight times if possible. I also have no idea what to get for a charger but want something that could see me through the hobby. If you have any recommendations please share.

Thanks again for the response.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You're welcome :)

For a good camera w/ mount check out this one:

https://store.flitetest.com/dipole-fx805-micro-fpv-camera-5-8ghz-37ch-25mw-vtx-with-mounting-case/

I'd suggest starting with a 2s battery and work your way up to the 3s - it's going to be a lot more crazy/wild/fun but maybe not for your first couple dozen flights :)

For a charger, and especially one that you want to last you a long time, I highly recommend either of these ISDT ones - I own both, love 'em, and even after I shorted one out by unplugging a battery while it was still in charge cycle, I immediately bought another one to replace it.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/isdt-q...EC0PIW4DyB_pxjuRVI9rkJhOcl8oxKSxoCeBAQAvD_BwE

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...60e1-p2pd4M7BtPJOojUQGwq9B45DvbxoCaxIQAvD_BwE

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Red bottom motors are not meant to be indoor friendly version. They are meant to be able to step the Gremlin up to a 4s set up. Yes you can run them on 2s but I think the tuning necessary to do that might / could cause heat issues as you are in slow ground effect a lot of the time indoors and if the tune is not close to perfect they will always run hot.

Unless you want to actually run 4s then I would seriously suggest staying with the stock Gremlin power pack for indoor / out door. That is more then enough power for both specially for newer pilots. The step up from Tiny whoop to Gremlin is pretty significant. Going from 1s power to 4s capability would be like going from a pedal car to a Porche.

Just to give you an idea of what kind of power you will have.. This is 2s and 3s comparison.

Aquilifer

I hope you guys had a good Christmas!

Thanks for all your responses they really helped clear up what I needed. Now I'm just waiting for stuff to arrive. I'll keep you all updated with my build and hopefully get a maiden video up.