Need help. Engine Sunnysky 2216 1250 kv

Hi all! Built P51 Mustang master series. I ordered a sunnysky 2216 3 series 1250 kv engine for it. It is sold with short and long shaft. Please explain what are the differences. I plan to use it with a propeller 9*6 or 10*5, battery 2200 3S? esc 40A. The weight of the model without engine and battery is 465 grams. Please express your opinion on this layout of electronics for this aircraft.
3.jpg

XSrcing

Creator of smoking holes
On a short shaft motor the propeller adapter bolts to the front (or rear) of the motor. On a long shaft motor the propeller adapter slides on to and clamps on to a 2-3mm shaft protruding from the front of the motor.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
that motor is gonna be a beast for that plane. i am a big fan of the sunnysky motors. not sure what kinda flying you want to do but, i think for the 3S the 10x5 would be perfect and give amazing performance.

haven't built one of those yet so can't comment on specifics of electronics layout but think you should have plenty of margin. if you have to add some tail weight it will be fine. you have 1750g of thrust @ 42A on a 3S which should still give you at least a 1:1 thrust to weight. meaning it should go vertical no problem. you wont be loading the motor much but the ESC may be at limit @ full throttle so be careful. make sure you give time to cool between high speed runs.

good luck,

me :cool:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
that motor is gonna be a beast for that plane. i am a big fan of the sunnysky motors. not sure what kinda flying you want to do but, i think for the 3S the 10x5 would be perfect and give amazing performance.

haven't built one of those yet so can't comment on specifics of electronics layout but think you should have plenty of margin. if you have to add some tail weight it will be fine. you have 1750g of thrust @ 42A on a 3S which should still give you at least a 1:1 thrust to weight. meaning it should go vertical no problem. you wont be loading the motor much but the ESC may be at limit @ full throttle so be careful. make sure you give time to cool between high speed runs.

good luck,

I'd recommend the 10x5 prop for you for the P-51 - I tried to run a 9x6 on a HobbyStar 2808-1400kv motor with that airframe, and while it flew, it felt a little anemic. Soon as I went to the 10x5, it bit into the air a bit better past the fuselage, and it felt like it was a smoother flying and more stable plane, even if it wasn't a screamer.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
what cell count? and how heavy is your plane? i assume less than 1750g but admit have no idea. FT doesn't post an AUW estimate.

good luck,

good luck,

thank you very much

I'd recommend the 10x5 prop for you for the P-51 - I tried to run a 9x6 on a HobbyStar 2808-1400kv motor with that airframe, and while it flew, it felt a little anemic. Soon as I went to the 10x5, it bit into the air a bit better past the fuselage, and it felt like it was a smoother flying and more stable plane, even if it wasn't a screamer.
thank you very much

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the Hobbystar and the Sunnysky are 2 very different motors. kinda an apple and oranges kinda thing. the Sunnysky is much higher quality and output. Almost 300W power difference between the 2 motors.

just saying,

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
the Hobbystar and the Sunnysky are 2 very different motors. kinda an apple and oranges kinda thing. the Sunnysky is much higher quality and output. Almost 300W power difference between the 2 motors.

just saying,

I understand that - I was trying to put the point that the 9x6 prop didn't reach out as far around the fuselage as the 10x5.

The difference in turns and thrust between a 9x6 and a 10x5 is negligible between the two blades on the same motor, but if it has more thrust past the firewall and nose, it'll move through the air a little better. That was my point with the "anemic" comment.