Need help for choosing cad

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Does anyone know a good FREE cad out there that there is a detailed BUT NOT TOO LONG, like no longer than an hour added up tutorial that can describe how to use it and maybe even it will dork for making ms skins. any ideas? i have not used a cad successfully before.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
you want to learn a CAD program in no longer then 1 hour.... Sorry, your way underestimating how complex a program like that is (unless your only looking to do something fairly trival... then something like tinkerCAD might be able to be picked up in that time frame).

if all you want to do is be able to print out some skins on paper/etc, then you can use what ever image/vector editing program of your choice.

I also don't think a CAD program would be helpful at all for doing this, unless your wanting to do your drawing on the 3d object then unfold it to get the final skins. I am not sure if CAD programs do this, or if you would be better served by a 3D modeling program like blender.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
you want to learn a CAD program in no longer then 1 hour.... Sorry, your way underestimating how complex a program like that is (unless your only looking to do something fairly trival... then something like tinkerCAD might be able to be picked up in that time frame).

if all you want to do is be able to print out some skins on paper/etc, then you can use what ever image/vector editing program of your choice.

I also don't think a CAD program would be helpful at all for doing this, unless your wanting to do your drawing on the 3d object then unfold it to get the final skins. I am not sure if CAD programs do this, or if you would be better served by a 3D modeling program like blender.
what do you mean that cad would not be useful. I meant that less than an hour per video, also please less than 4 videos. so a maximum of 4 hours of just watching the videos. I want to actually design it. what do you mean by a cad program would not be usefull?

JasonK

what do you mean that cad would not be useful. I meant that less than an hour per video, also please less than 4 videos. so a maximum of 4 hours of just watching the videos. I want to actually design it. what do you mean by a cad program would not be usefull?

Regarding time to learn a CAD program - it took me way more then 4 hours to learn blender (which does a few other things also - I still have a long ways to go until I fully understand it) and with that experience, I still had to look up a bunch of things when I went to tinker cad. What my point was/is, if you really want to learn to use a program like that, expect to spend time time learning it. They aren't programs that you pick up in a few hours like a word processor.

If you just want to design a simple foam-board plane, you can do that on paper, you don't need a full design package.

it will dork for making ms skins.
sounded like your looking to make skins, not full planes. Apparently I miss understood exactly what you were asking.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Regarding time to learn a CAD program - it took me way more then 4 hours to learn blender (which does a few other things also - I still have a long ways to go until I fully understand it) and with that experience, I still had to look up a bunch of things when I went to tinker cad. What my point was/is, if you really want to learn to use a program like that, expect to spend time time learning it. They aren't programs that you pick up in a few hours like a word processor.

If you just want to design a simple foam-board plane, you can do that on paper, you don't need a full design package.

sounded like your looking to make skins, not full planes. Apparently I miss understood exactly what you were asking.
That I know, but i like publishing plans for others, and I cannot do that if I draw it out, though that is what I will try to do with this build probably. will see. then there comes the problem of digitizing them.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Yeah, they have free tutorials. Weird, I think that there's a free private use account.
if you use onshape, I made an account, could you make a simple video explaining the tools and what they might be usefull for? counting how to model in 2d and 3d if possible?

Flyingshark

Master member
Are you getting this @FlyerInStyle ?
1. It'll take you some time to get up to speed with a drafting program.
(2. A drafting program isn't what you need to make skins.)

Guys: Inkscape? Sketchup? What can he download for free?
Inkscape 1.0 is a free 2D art/drafting program, I haven't fully explored all of its features, but it makes it pretty simple to make plans. And you can use the (also free) EggBot extension for automatic cross-hatching.

When I tried Sketchup, (3D modeling software) there was a free version I never spent the time to learn how to use, and a paid pro version which I used up my free trial for and never came back to.

You can also say you're a hobbyist and get Fusion 360 (another 3D modeling program) for free, although it's got less features than a paid plan.

And if you happen to have an EAA membership, you get a Solidworks (yet another 3D modeling program) student license with that. But an EAA membership costs money, and Solidworks will only run on Windows, last time I checked.

I modeled my VariViggen in Fusion (3D) and exported stuff from that to Inkscape (2D), where I created the plans. (Long explanation, but this didn't quite work for tech reasons.) You can design an FT-style (not master series) plane entirely in a 2D program, with a little math to determine the length of diagonals and stuff.

@FlyerInStyle Sounds like you've decided on Onshape though.

2jujube7

if you use onshape, I made an account, could you make a simple video explaining the tools and what they might be usefull for? counting how to model in 2d and 3d if possible?
Here's a quick video I just found on Youtube for 3D modeling: link. If you are having trouble after watching it, you can probably try looking up a different tutorial on YouTube and watching that.

As Flyingshark mentioned up above, you'd probably get more use out of a 2d cad program. I use Inkscape for 2d stuff, but it probably doesn't matter too much what you use.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
thanks everyone for your help. I also got this program that works anywhere that can tile using any measurements. works amazing. will use for making square planes. does anyone have any ideas what are some other materials for building rc planes that are not foamboard or balsa?

GrizWiz

Elite member
Sketchup 8 is what I started with. Then I moved to Fusion 360 with the hobby use subscription after I upgraded my computer

JasonK

thanks everyone for your help. I also got this program that works anywhere that can tile using any measurements. works amazing. will use for making square planes. does anyone have any ideas what are some other materials for building rc planes that are not foamboard or balsa?
3d printing materials, bambo, paper, cardboard.... fairly endless list of options.