NEED HELP - FT Linkage stoppers don't fit servos

Lukas

I'm making my first scratch build FT Flyer, I ordered some accessories off the FT store like the firewall, push-rods and linkage stoppers. Then I got the recommended electronics from lazertoys.com. I've just installed my servos to find that the screw on the bottom of the linkage stoppers is way too big for holes in the servo arm. Am I doing something wrong? or is there something wrong with the parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S I also tried the linkage stoppers on a servo arm supplied with a servo from hobbbyking but that didn't fit either.

PHugger

Church Meal Expert
Be careful if you are trying to use an electric drill.
I usually just enlarge the hole by hand (hold the drill bit with my fingers).
Remember, you want the enlarged hole to be just big enough to allow the stopper to spin freely, but no bigger.
Slop is your enemy with control linkages.
Also use some thread-lock on the stopper nut, otherwise it will work free.

Best regards,
PCH

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Hrm.. maybe I'm doing this the hard way... I take a piece of scrap wire laying around and heat it with a flame. Then melt a hole through the servo arm so I know it will not break and make a slight overage in the hole so I do not have any binding.

Lukas

Hrm.. maybe I'm doing this the hard way... I take a piece of scrap wire laying around and heat it with a flame. Then melt a hole through the servo arm so I know it will not break and make a slight overage in the hole so I do not have any binding.

I might try this as I don't have a small enough drill bit. Do you have any special tips on how to do this? or is it pretty straight forward?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
what i do is i dab some hot glue on the hole i am gonna use then drill and clean out the hole
the glue makes the control horn a bit stronger

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You could also just fit the "Z" bend to the servo arm and fit the linkage stoppers into the control horns. Makes adjustments easier!!

jtuttle11

I'm making my first scratch build FT Flyer, I ordered some accessories off the FT store like the firewall, push-rods and linkage stoppers. Then I got the recommended electronics from lazertoys.com. I've just installed my servos to find that the screw on the bottom of the linkage stoppers is way too big for holes in the servo arm. Am I doing something wrong? or is there something wrong with the parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S I also tried the linkage stoppers on a servo arm supplied with a servo from hobbbyking but that didn't fit either.
I found that a hobby knife handle that is cross cut in 4 sections can be used with very small drill bits to make an excellent 'hand drill' and gives you a good grip and torque.

jtuttle11

A 1/16 inch drill bit is a whole lot more precise and you don't run the risk of melting the hole out to big.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Also use some thread-lock on the stopper nut, otherwise it will work free.
+1 to this! I actually lost a simple scout to a nut that worked itself free.

Honestly, I just use a x-acto blade to enlarge the hole enough. Take your time and check your progress often.
my .02

Aaeros

Not sure if the stoppers have changed, but I found that 1/16 was too small. I have a 5/64" which seems perfect. And since I didn't have any thread-lock, a drop of hot glue on the end of the threads to keep the nut in place.