NEED HELP! I need help to start, and for me its not simple, read and find out why!

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum and I wanted to ask how can I get started into this hobby? I put it in flight school as well I need help and I'm learning I guess! :p However its harder for me as I am 11 and I need to be able to get somethign thats a good first plane, would be nice to get it in UK although it does not matter and something within a reasonable price bearing in mind I'm 11.

Thank you
I appreciate your help
Joshua Alexander Coelho
Future RC Pilot

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The easiest way to go is to find a god ready to fly RTF plane but then you have to buy parts that aren't very cheap. If you want to build one for yourself for the first time, you can recycle electronics and just make new parts for not much money. The initial build and learning process is harder this way but parts are cheaper since you make them yourself.

Do you have a parent or someone who can help you start out? We can give you all the advice in the world but it would be better to have someone helping at home. It's also a lot easier to learn to fly if you have someone to help. If there is a club nearby or another modeler who can assist you they can cut the learning curve and expense down a bunch.

What are you really wanting to start with? Building or flying? How much money do you have to spend? That's a huge part of it. It's cheaper but harder if you start by building your own from scratch.

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
Reply Thank you!

The easiest way to go is to find a god ready to fly RTF plane but then you have to buy parts that aren't very cheap. If you want to build one for yourself for the first time, you can recycle electronics and just make new parts for not much money. The initial build and learning process is harder this way but parts are cheaper since you make them yourself.

Do you have a parent or someone who can help you start out? We can give you all the advice in the world but it would be better to have someone helping at home. It's also a lot easier to learn to fly if you have someone to help. If there is a club nearby or another modeler who can assist you they can cut the learning curve and expense down a bunch.

What are you really wanting to start with? Building or flying? How much money do you have to spend? That's a huge part of it. It's cheaper but harder if you start by building your own from scratch.

Thank you very much for some advise, the only person I can think of helping me out is my step dad. I think he has an electric helicopter but he never got it together and he would never let me use it, he's to scared I might crash it and well its true you got to crash some time in your life. I decided that as you stated I need to be able to learn to fly, my step dad has a copy of Phoenix rc that I can install and I just need to buy a Spektrum DX5E or any other compatible transmitter. I think I might get one of those to start off, learn. Then I'm thinking the best way is to build a kit, I am very confident on this part as I have always been a creative child so it might be for me. I would after I learn to fly get a wage of about 200 pounds (I will be selling stuff and by the time this happens its my birthday so its fine) I will then have experience with flying and how rc planes work. I can buy myself something of FliteTest like the 3 speed build kit or the baby blender, then just buy some servos that will work good, get all the electronics and put it together. I guess this is the best route as I need to learn about the electronics inside and with investment on equipment, I have a spare room that can be like my hobby room and I can just research about this stuff. I appreciate your help and I always have you guys supporting me on the forum to get everything going, I will try update this and let you know how I am doing, just need to buy a transmitter and cable. I will be doing my research!

Ps. I wanted to get into building aircraft as well as testing them out, like you say I can reuse ideas and I think the swappable idea flitetest use will save me a lot of work on my designs when I get into the hobby. For now I will work with simulators to try and reduce crash chances and maybe learn about the electronics and start making ideas! Thank you very much! If you have any other tips let me know please!

Safe Flying!
Joshua Coelho

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think you are on the right path. The simulator will help when you finally take your model out by having the general orientation and less nerves. Look into the recommended parts lists for the swappables and you are going to have parts you can reuse for a long time.

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
Thank you for all the help, Happy Flying!

I think you are on the right path. The simulator will help when you finally take your model out by having the general orientation and less nerves. Look into the recommended parts lists for the swappables and you are going to have parts you can reuse for a long time.

Thank you! In a matter of fact I actually took a look at how I put the electronics together, that's all I was scared about, would I spend my time trying to work on an aircraft and fail with them. I know how to do so now and the funny thing is I quite like the setup of spectrum, I love them so much as I got a flight experience using a lot of their Tech. Spektrum is easy to connect to receivers ESC's and so on. I cant wait. Also ordering a Spektrum dx5e as it seems to be a decent controller, cheap as well and I have used one before.

Anyway,
Thank you very much
Joshua

Vent

Hi Joshua, if you are serious about getting into the hobby, perhaps look at the spektrum dx6i. It's a little more expensive but will last you much longer as it's a programmable radio with 6 channels. Also maybe check out some Turnigy transmitters hobbyking sell, like the Turnigy 9XR for around $50, you just need to add a radio module to it such as the orange RC DSM2 module. That radio and module together will be about $100US delivered and will offer you a fully programmable radio and will be comnpatible with spektrum DSM/DSM2 plug n fly aircraft.

The DX5e will work, it's just that you may find as you get bigger models with more servos and channels you may find a nicer radio more comfortable.

Definitely give the sim a go, try to stick with the basic trainer models in the sim that offer aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle control as it will be closest to the model you get/build in real life. Once you master orientation, doing basic circuits and landings in the sim you will be ready for the real thing.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
The DX5e is okay, that was my first radio. After I experienced the benefits of nicer radios I'll never go back but for your price range and the types of planes you are looking at it's fine. I'd try to find a cheaper one on craigslist or something though. I even like the DX4e better personally. The 5 is old, the 6i is so much more capable it's not even funny but that's quite a step financially. I'd sell you my 5e if you wanted but shipping might be ridiculous depending on where you live. You could probably find one cheaper locally. Everybody has one and has upgraded so 5's are cheap. The 9x is a good step but it's a lot more complicated and may be better if you have someone to help you out. It would be compatible with spektrum and orange rx stuff and save you money.

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
The DX5e is okay, that was my first radio. After I experienced the benefits of nicer radios I'll never go back but for your price range and the types of planes you are looking at it's fine. I'd try to find a cheaper one on craigslist or something though. I even like the DX4e better personally. The 5 is old, the 6i is so much more capable it's not even funny but that's quite a step financially. I'd sell you my 5e if you wanted but shipping might be ridiculous depending on where you live. You could probably find one cheaper locally. Everybody has one and has upgraded so 5's are cheap. The 9x is a good step but it's a lot more complicated and may be better if you have someone to help you out. It would be compatible with spektrum and orange rx stuff and save you money.

Ok, I will have a look at the radios today and see what I can get, once I got this surprisingly the airplane and parts and tools are cheaper all together. Anyway I will be looking at the 4e as well to be honest its my first transmitter! Not like I need Million channels for flaps gear bomb drops and that cool stuff. Thank you ever so much and if you keep an eye to this forum or subscribe I will make a post of my final decision.

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
Hi Joshua, if you are serious about getting into the hobby, perhaps look at the spektrum dx6i. It's a little more expensive but will last you much longer as it's a programmable radio with 6 channels. Also maybe check out some Turnigy transmitters hobbyking sell, like the Turnigy 9XR for around $50, you just need to add a radio module to it such as the orange RC DSM2 module. That radio and module together will be about $100US delivered and will offer you a fully programmable radio and will be comnpatible with spektrum DSM/DSM2 plug n fly aircraft.

The DX5e will work, it's just that you may find as you get bigger models with more servos and channels you may find a nicer radio more comfortable.

Definitely give the sim a go, try to stick with the basic trainer models in the sim that offer aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle control as it will be closest to the model you get/build in real life. Once you master orientation, doing basic circuits and landings in the sim you will be ready for the real thing.

Hey, I will consider but like I told Ak Flyer, I want to get serious into the hobby, however its my first aircraft, all I want the transmitter to do is let me fly some planes, 4ch. When I get more into the hobby and I start getting planes that look amazing but then you realise they have like gear and so on. That's a whole new level I would have to look at before buying, it would be my next step after mastering flying and to be honest my expectations will be about 2 years of flying to become really and I mean really good at it. For now I will be stuck on flying trainers and customs.

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho

Sorry to bother you again,
How much will you be willing to sell your DX5e to me?

Thank you!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
New ones are 60 bucks, so 30 plus shipping. Mine is the older DSM2 version and the new ones are DSMX. Both are compatible with the orange rx receivers which are so cheap, but the DSMX version can also use better spektrum DSMX receivers. If you fly with lots of other people you're better off with DSMX but if you are just building cheap planes to fly in your yard you won't have any trouble with it. I've heard of a lot of problems with the 5's, but I haven't experienced any of those with mine. No guarantees though. The 4 is a good radio too, and it's the one that comes packaged with the Hobbyzone Super Cubs now. Both have a trainer port, the 4 just has one less channel. the DX4e is 70 new, so I'll sell either one for 30 plus shipping. Where do you live?

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
Ok, I admit I been having trouble finding a transmitter and I thought, instead of waiting hours and bidding yet losing them, why don't I just see what Hobby King has to offer. I found a simulator that costs $15. It comes with a Hobby King simulator radio, that's fine to learn, not like I need intense graphics and hard-core radios. Then I took vents advise and thought I can get a cheap transmitter and install a DSM Radio module into it, comes cheaper to me than expected.
I will see how it goes.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That would do the job alright. It comes with a module and receiver too. Hard to beat that price. My only concern is the price of the receivers that go with it. I see cheap receivers but they don't say they work with it. I'd have to look into it a bit. The best part of the DSM2 system is the compatibility with ultra cheap rx's. The 6 channel receivers are only 6 bucks so when you build another plane you don't have to swap everything. Sounds like that will work great for you but I've also heard that the menus are difficult to use when programming (never touched one myself)

Another option would be this.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...le_Transmitter_w_10_Model_Memory_Mode_2_.html

It's basically a dx6i copy with different menus but much simpler and has been getting good reviews as well. (also never touched one)

But, you can use the cheap receivers and other orange rx products like the stabilization module.

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
For just getting in the air, try this.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15140

It's in stock in the us warehouse as well so if you live here you could get it much faster and cheaper than ordering from the international warehouse.

Thanks, I really don't know what I'm going to do as I would need to buy some tools and so on to start my builds. Its more tricky then I thought. I might go with the orange TX as it seems to have an adapter point at the back for connecting to something, I might be able to get a compatible cable. So far I'm tight on money budgets and I don't know what to do arrrgghhhh. I might just see if my step dad will let me use his Spektrum DX7 put the problem is he's so protective off it I may as well just buy it off him to keep for myself. But he would never do that even though he never uses it. I really need a long think about this. :(

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
It's really tough trying to figure out your budget right now as well as plan for what you want to do later. We all struggle with it. If you get started now with the scratch builds and a cheap radio, there's a good chance you could build a new airframe and sell the total flying package to someone else when you want to move up again. You'll never get all your money out of things you sell, but it's a thought if you don't want to lay out the cash for higher end stuff now.

Vent

Any of the transmitters posted in this thread will do the job. I agree with Ak Flyer that it's probably easier and cheaper for you to get a DSM2/DSMX compatible radio, because the receivers are so cheap! Also many ready to fly models that come with a receiver are typically DSM2/DSMx.

What you should be doing is look at what models or scratch builds you want first, pick out the electronics for it, then with the money left over buy the best radio that suits your budget.

I just had a thought, the 3 swappable scratch builds from flight test appear to use elevons. Meaning that you mix the elevator and ailerons to the same servos - I don't think that will work with a non programmable radio like the dx4e or dx5e. I think you would be best to stick with the Orange dx6i clone or the Turnigy 9xr with a DSM2 compatible module. The radios are more complicated to set up but they will do everything you ask of them for many models to come :)

Edit: I was wrong the dx5e does indeed do elevon mixing (flight test have an episode on it) ;)

Last edited:

Joshua Coelho

Joshua Coelho
Radio

New ones are 60 bucks, so 30 plus shipping. Mine is the older DSM2 version and the new ones are DSMX. Both are compatible with the orange rx receivers which are so cheap, but the DSMX version can also use better spektrum DSMX receivers. If you fly with lots of other people you're better off with DSMX but if you are just building cheap planes to fly in your yard you won't have any trouble with it. I've heard of a lot of problems with the 5's, but I haven't experienced any of those with mine. No guarantees though. The 4 is a good radio too, and it's the one that comes packaged with the Hobbyzone Super Cubs now. Both have a trainer port, the 4 just has one less channel. the DX4e is 70 new, so I'll sell either one for 30 plus shipping. Where do you live?

Hey, I would buy one for 30 bucks, DX4e probably, I live in United Kingdom, near London, Iver.
If you can get me the shipping price that would be amazing. Thank you and sorry I could not reply sooner, my internet broadband people were not working.

Joshua Coelho
Let me know!