Need Help Interpreting Plans

ThatsALotOfPlanes

Hey guys!

I'm embarking on my first scratch-built free flight model, and I need some help head-scratching my way thru parts of the plans. I'll attach the full plans so y'all can see where each picture is located, and the instruction sheet as well. (also, if anyone knows how to resize images so they aren't huge let me know o_O)

Typ Mtr.jpg

First up: some abbreviations. What do "Typ" and "Mtr" mean?

Cabin breaks.jpg

Under the red circles are four lines which appear to be breaks in the structure. The instructions are a bit brief, but from what I can tell, the sides of the cabin are built, then the tail section sides and front fuselage sides are built and joined with the cabin sides. What I don't quite understand is that the instructions seem to imply that all three side sections are built and joined flat. The transition from the tail section to the rear of the cabin seems too acute of an angle to just bend the sides together after joining, especially since that bend would be right at a joint.

Tail break.jpg

This plan has two versions of the tail, which correspond to two different models of the full-size plan. The picture on the right shows a break just in front of the tail wheel. It seems to me that the break is just to denote where the end of the removed tail drawing links up with the rest of the drawing. If not, what is the purpose of a small piece like that attached to the end of the longeron?

Stringer slots.jpg

Finally, some stringer confusion. On the right is a close up of the nose section. 7 stringers go from F2 to F4 to form the top of the nose. I would assume that those stringers would be continuous, as in they go all the way from F2 to F4, passing through F3. F3 is pictured without slots for the stringers to pass through though. Is F3 drawn without slots on purpose so the builder can work around any small deviations in the stringers' placement? The same situation applies to the spars crossing over the tip rib on the left picture.

That's it for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I stare at these plans for longer.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Stinson_Voyager_108_oz12420.pdf
    552.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Stinson_Voyager_108_oz12420_instructions.pdf
    186.3 KB · Views: 0

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I don't really do balsa stuff, so I can't help with much, but I am pretty sure that mtr stands for motor since that is where a rubber motor would probably mount. That's all I got rn. I hope that somebody else can post some info here because I want to know some of these answers too.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
One big thing to know about ANY set of plan is that there WILL be errors! Omissions, mistakes, misleading instructions, etc. Never assume the plans are perfect, that'll bite you in the end. As the builder, use the plans as your roadmap, but be ready for unmarked detours which become far easier to spot as you build more and more models. I learned a lot building cheap balsa kits from Hobby King, where instructions were a complete joke.

TooJung2Die

Master member
Ketchup is right; "Mtr" is the abbreviation for motor, referring to an opening in the fuselage to get to the motor mount. "Typ" is the abbreviation for Typical; make all the other gussets like the one pictured. The areas you circled do look like joints in the balsa. There is probably an angle in the balsa at that point that isn't seen from that view and a glue joint is needed. Plans are one persons opinion of how to build an airplane. If you can think of a better way ... do it.