Need help: Major n00b doing first build!

peter123

Hi! Sorry if there's any silly questions. Also sorry if this is in the wrong section. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anyway, I'm going to be building my first model. I'm brand new to electric flying, I have a fantastic area near me that I want to fly in (my gas plane is too noisy). I really want to build a model to gain experience and skills, so I decided upon the Simple Storch (speedbuild kit).

My dilemma relates to the power pod and the electronics; I barely have any idea what I'll need to buy. The kits advertised on the main Storch page are all sold out, so I've been researching and browsing everything I could find. So after some searching, here are the parts I've come up with, in addition to the speedbuild kit.

Motor: Hextronik DT750 Brushless outrunner 750kv motor
Transmitter + Receiver: Turnigy 4X FHSS 2.4ghz Transmitter and Receiver
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
Servos: Turnigy TG9e 9g 0.10sec Eco Micro Servo (4 of these)
Battery: Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack
Prop: SF E-Prop 10x4.7 / 254x119.5mm w/ Adapters
Motor connectors: PolyMax 3.5mm Gold Connectors
Linkage stoppers: 1.8mm

I know I also need servo extension cables, but have no idea what length to get (I forgot where it is explained in the build video). Anyway, my main questions are as follows:
  • Are these parts all compatible, will they work together & in the storch?
  • What other things should I add?
  • I also have a JR transmitter, but I am unsure of whether it will communicate with another receiver (would prefer to use the JR over the turnigy).
Again, any help would be very appreciated. I'm really anxious to build this plane, always wanted to but never found a good model (until now). Thanks!

Christopher14

Driftin' with the wind...
Welcome to the forum! The motor you have should do quite nicely, it has enough power and then some.:) As for the transmitter, I wouldn't recommend the Turnigy 4X, the Turnigy 9X is a much better choice, and for only $70 you can't go wrong. Plus you will need some expo and duel rates. (which the 9X can do). I have one and it has never had a glitch.

If you have any more questions, need more clarification or anything else we would be more then happy to help.

peter123

Thank you! Actually for a lower price I could probably buy a second receiver for my JR S400. In that case it would be an RS600 receiver; would that work with all the parts I listed? Also, what lengths of servo extension cables should I need? I know I just need 4.

Essentially is everything listed enough to get my plane in the air?