Need help on how to design something in 3d cad

mach1 rc

Master member
So I use freeCad and am not sure how to design something. If anyone has any experience in freeCad your information would be appreciated. I'm wondering if I should switch to fusion 360 since I've heard other people talk about it and they seem to like it. I don't even know how to start.

Matagami Designs

Master member
I'm not sure how well it translates but in Solidworks/fusion you would start with a sketch and do an extrude boss for something like a firewall and a revolve boss for something like a spinner. Definitely check youtube for tutorials

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
if you are new at this i recommend Tinkercad. i use it for almost everything i design and print. for doing simple things like firewalls you don't need anything more complex. from there you can jump into more complex programs as you need. if you want, PM me and we can plan a time and i will walk you through making a firewall. once you get the basics, the rest is just your own creativity.

laters,

me :cool:

mach1 rc

Master member
if you are new at this i recommend Tinkercad. i use it for almost everything i design and print. for doing simple things like firewalls you don't need anything more complex. from there you can jump into more complex programs as you need. if you want, PM me and we can plan a time and i will walk you through making a firewall. once you get the basics, the rest is just your own creativity.

laters,

Sorry I'm a teenager and use my dad's computer and he doesn't like me creating accounts on his computer. It looked like I had to create an account to use tinker cad. Thanks

dayve

FreeCAD is fairly capable, but there's definitely a steep learning curve if it's your first CAD tool. I just ran across a FreeCAD tutorial series this last weekend that is a pretty good intro series. At least the first 8 videos in this playlist may help you out.

FreeCAD tutorial playlist

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Sorry I'm a teenager and use my dad's computer and he doesn't like me creating accounts on his computer. It looked like I had to create an account to use tinker cad. Thanks

i would assume that if you speak to your father and explain what it is and why you need it, he would be game.

if not, PM me and i will give the password so you can access my classroom account.

laters,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok @mach1 rc , let's just make this easy...

i started a new account on Tinkercad for our FT Community. i think it will be a good place for anyone to access, create, and share. look for a thread to be posted soon. until then, here is the account and log in info.

password - FTtinker1

click on the "Learn" at the top right and have some fun. i will see if i can upload or share some of the basics from my personal account.

laters,

mach1 rc

Master member
Tinkercad is pretty elementary, just like playing with lego or building blocks. Once you learn the basics of how to group, align, turning into solids or holes it is pretty slick. Even though I have my 3D software I still use Tinkercad a lot.
I think I'll use tinker cad and freeCad but I was wondering how to put holes in my design on tinker cad.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Depending what your format is Tinkercad you can import STL, OBJ and SVG files. Tinkercad doesn't like importing large objects.

Go into Tinkercad and search 3D Designs and filter by latest but search for this Shrubsmacker Motor Mount Adapter . I made it public so you should be able to load it up. Start by ungrouping it and probably you will be able to do it numerous times and you will see how I built it out of numerous pieces.

As far as creating a hole you drag a cylinder in and they have solid or hole but you can change anything back and forth.

Attached is the stl file so you know what you are looking for

Go through the lessons and it will give you the basics of what it does. Once you catch on it easy.

Attachments

• Shrubsmacker Motor Mount Adapter.stl
    190.6 KB · Views: 0

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I'm not sure how well it translates but in Solidworks/fusion you would start with a sketch and do an extrude boss for something like a firewall and a revolve boss for something like a spinner. Definitely check youtube for tutorials

Have you done any 3D printed designs for canopies? I would like to start 3D printing some for different aircraft. Most of what I have done in CAD is 2D.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Have you done any 3D printed designs for canopies? I would like to start 3D printing some for different aircraft. Most of what I have done in CAD is 2D.

I actually don't do much design which requires 3D printing since i have to call in favors to get parts printed, although i do a lot of 3D Cad. I don't own a printer (at the moment). I would suspect that a revolve or loft could make a nice bubble canopy. Does anyone make a nice clear filament? I'm betting the surface imperfections make this difficult?

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
I actually don't do much design which requires 3D printing since i have to call in favors to get parts printed, although i do a lot of 3D Cad. I don't own a printer (at the moment). I would suspect that a revolve or loft could make a nice bubble canopy. Does anyone make a nice clear filament? I'm betting the surface imperfections make this difficult?

I'm not thinking of clear, more like opaque. Just something that could form to the compound curves of canopies.