Need help on how to design something in 3d cad

Flite Risk

ok @mach1 rc , let's just make this easy...

i started a new account on Tinkercad for our FT Community. i think it will be a good place for anyone to access, create, and share. look for a thread to be posted soon. until then, here is the account and log in info.

password - FTtinker1

click on the "Learn" at the top right and have some fun. i will see if i can upload or share some of the basics from my personal account.

laters,

me :cool:
What.a great gesture. Its little stuff like this that makes me really appreciate and value this community.

Well done Jd , well done.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
I think I'll use tinker cad and freeCad but I was wondering how to put holes in my design on tinker cad.

holes are easy once you figure them out. you can change any object in tinkercad from a solid to a hole just by clicking on it and in the box that opens, you click one or the other.

the easiest way to make bolt holes that need to be a precise distance is also easy. make 2 holes the size you need, then use the "L" button to align them on top of one another, then click on them, and use your arrow keys to move one the direction you need. tinkercad is set by default to 1mm, so if you need a 16mm offset, just move it 16 times with you arrows. once that is done, group them so they stay as one piece.

hope that makes sense.

laters,

mach1 rc

Master member
holes are easy once you figure them out. you can change any object in tinkercad from a solid to a hole just by clicking on it and in the box that opens, you click one or the other.

the easiest way to make bolt holes that need to be a precise distance is also easy. make 2 holes the size you need, then use the "L" button to align them on top of one another, then click on them, and use your arrow keys to move one the direction you need. tinkercad is set by default to 1mm, so if you need a 16mm offset, just move it 16 times with you arrows. once that is done, group them so they stay as one piece.

hope that makes sense.

laters,

Thanks I figured out how to drag a cylinder over an object and then turn it into a hole.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Thanks I figured out how to drag a cylinder over an object and then turn it into a hole.
Once you learn the aligning, ruler and so on and then when to group it will be easy to work with.
Sometimes you will center and group 2 pieces together such as a cylinder and a hole in it, then you want to center that piece into a square block but you also want the hole to go all the way through both solid pieces so you take your now tube center or position where you need in the block then ungroup your tube so you are back to a solid cylinder and a hole cylinder as separate pieces. Then highlight the Solid cylinder and with the shift key held down click on the solid block and group those 2 pieces into one. Then select the hole cylinder and your other solid piece and group those together and you now have a hole through both.

mach1 rc

Master member
Once you learn the aligning, ruler and so on and then when to group it will be easy to work with.
Sometimes you will center and group 2 pieces together such as a cylinder and a hole in it, then you want to center that piece into a square block but you also want the hole to go all the way through both solid pieces so you take your now tube center or position where you need in the block then ungroup your tube so you are back to a solid cylinder and a hole cylinder as separate pieces. Then highlight the Solid cylinder and with the shift key held down click on the solid block and group those 2 pieces into one. Then select the hole cylinder and your other solid piece and group those together and you now have a hole through both.
I was wondering how to make a fuselage. So far all I've been using is the basic shapes. I was wondering how to draw something.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you could make a basic fuselage but it wont be anything too fancy.

take a cylinder for the main fuse, an egg for the nose cone, and cone for the tail. size them to what you want, group them, then copy and paste a duplicate. now take the duplicate and turn it into a hole, and shrink it down a millimeter or two in all 3 dimensions, re-center it in the original shape, and then group. you now have a hollow fuse that can be manipulated from there.

hope that makes sense.

Matagami Designs

Master member
That's what I thought. I was thinking about using freeCad for something like that

You could also use onshape. Its basically like solidworks with a touch of fusion 360. Its runs online so there is no downloads and less requirements for your PC and free subscription. I used it when i didn't have SW at home. Here is a picture of a little block i made in the past to demonstrate its ability:

Attachments

• 1574546076412.png
    1574546076412.png
    158.8 KB · Views: 0

mach1 rc

Master member
you could make a basic fuselage but it wont be anything too fancy.

take a cylinder for the main fuse, an egg for the nose cone, and cone for the tail. size them to what you want, group them, then copy and paste a duplicate. now take the duplicate and turn it into a hole, and shrink it down a millimeter or two in all 3 dimensions, re-center it in the original shape, and then group. you now have a hollow fuse that can be manipulated from there.

hope that makes sense.

Thanks for all your help I think I'm starting to understand it better.

mach1 rc

Master member
You could also use onshape. Its basically like solidworks with a touch of fusion 360. Its runs online so there is no downloads and less requirements for your PC and free subscription. I used it when i didn't have SW at home. Here is a picture of a little block i made in the past to demonstrate its ability:
Thanks for your help I'll check into that.

mach1 rc

Master member
Definitely go with Fusion 360. Its free and you can design complicated parts such as wing sections with sweep and twist etc.

Check out this video -

Wow it looks really powerful but when I checked into it all i saw was the free trial