Need help on installing prop.

Hello I’m new to building kits similar to the Flitetest builds. I’m currently building the mini mustang but am stuck on installing the prop. How stupid am I haha. So I put the spacer into the back of the prop and then turned the prop clockwise on the shaft. I’m stuck now because I can’t get the prop to move back to the smooth part of the shaft and there’s not enough thread to in the front part to put a nut or anything to tighten prop. Below is a picture of what my I’m looking at. After I fix that issue how do I put the cone looking spinner with 2 holes on the top on? Advice would be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Attachments

• 57555AB1-D16C-47B3-B568-A8F65921E847.jpeg
    57555AB1-D16C-47B3-B568-A8F65921E847.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2D946C28-4F8D-42A7-9B38-E89FDCC26EF0.jpeg
    2D946C28-4F8D-42A7-9B38-E89FDCC26EF0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

skymaster

Elite member
If you want to remove the prop just wedge a flat screwdriver in between the motor and propeller and push it out turning the screwdriver.

If you want to remove the prop just wedge a flat screwdriver in between the motor and propeller and push it out turning the screwdriver.
Will think of that for the future but right now I’m trying to install the prop securely. I’ve never installed this kind of setup before

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you need to ream the prop slightly. I use an X-ACTO knife but any knife will do. the idea is to spin the knife in the hole to scrape a small amount of material off.

K3V0

Elite member
Welcome! I first came to the forum with power pod issues, so I get where you’re coming from. The mini mustang is fun plane and it looks like you’re almost there! Nice job! Using @skymaster’s advice you could back it off and check what might be the issue causing it to stick. Then maybe turn the adaptor ring (AR)directly on the shaft so that it gets threaded on all the way back. Then carefully push the prop onto the AR there using even pressure . I’m sure you’re trying all sorts of things to get this to work. Just go slow and don’t force anything.

K3V0

Elite member
Sounds like you need to ream the prop slightly. I use an X-ACTO knife but any knife will do. the idea is to spin the knife in the hole to scrape a small amount of material off.
Hey @Merv , you were the first to welcome me and give good advice! Thanks for setting a great example and helping us all out!👍😄

Welcome! I first came to the forum with power pod issues, so I get where you’re coming from. The mini mustang is fun plane and it looks like you’re almost there! Nice job! Using @skymaster’s advice you could back it off and check what might be the issue causing it to stick. Then maybe turn the adaptor ring (AR)directly on the shaft so that it gets threaded on all the way back. Then carefully push the prop onto the AR there using even pressure . I’m sure you’re trying all sorts of things to get this to work. Just go slow and don’t force anything.
I’m so grateful for all of you! Is it ok that the motor wire runs from the top into power pod?
The mini mustang video says it runs from the bottom but I went by what the actual mini power pod video said. I’m so confused haha

RC Fly Time

Hi @United7879, this is actually my first time commenting on a forum. The location of the wires really shouldn't matter as on as they are out of the way, the wires don't get chopped by the prop and your power pod fits but I do believe there is a notch for the wire so you should be ok.
Were you able to install the prop?

Hi @United7879, this is actually my first time commenting on a forum. The location of the wires really shouldn't matter as on as they are out of the way, the wires don't get chopped by the prop and your power pod fits but I do believe there is a notch for the wire so you should be ok.
Were you able to install the prop?
I went back and removed the hot glue from the power pod and fixed it up a little. It looks a lot better. Now I have to put the firewall back on which should fit better after going back. Left the engine on the firewall so I just need to glue it back on the power pod. The prop is next to do. I have the spacer in the prop but I think I need to remove it now. Interesting thing is I used the second prop and spacer it came with and still found the same issue. Just can’t seem to get the prop on motor shaft far enough.

Tench745

Master member
I have not bought a power pack from FT before, but most props will come with a couple sizes of spacers to fit your motor shaft. Usually the outer diameter of the threads is the same diameter as the unthreaded portion of the motor shaft. If you have to thread the adapter on it means the threads are biting into the spacer and it's too small. You're looking for one that will slide easily over the threads without being too loose. If you don't have one you may have to drill or ream out the spacer to make it fit correctly. HOWEVER, that may be entirely unnecessary; if the prop by itself fits the motor shaft with minimal slop, just leave the spacer out entirely.

The firewalls are kind of a one-size-fits-most deal. The specifics of how wires are run is particular to any given model or motor choice; do whatever works and don't sweat it too much.

I believe you also asked about a spinner. It sounds like you're referring to the style that has a backplate that goes behind the prop and a cone that screws onto the backplate with two screws. If this is the case, you probably won't be able to use it with this motor as there isn't enough space on the shaft to fit the backplate, prop, and retaining nut.

I have not bought a power pack from FT before, but most props will come with a couple sizes of spacers to fit your motor shaft. Usually the outer diameter of the threads is the same diameter as the unthreaded portion of the motor shaft. If you have to thread the adapter on it means the threads are biting into the spacer and it's too small. You're looking for one that will slide easily over the threads without being too loose. If you don't have one you may have to drill or ream out the spacer to make it fit correctly. HOWEVER, that may be entirely unnecessary; if the prop by itself fits the motor shaft with minimal slop, just leave the spacer out entirely.

The firewalls are kind of a one-size-fits-most deal. The specifics of how wires are run is particular to any given model or motor choice; do whatever works and don't sweat it too much.

I believe you also asked about a spinner. It sounds like you're referring to the style that has a backplate that goes behind the prop and a cone that screws onto the backplate with two screws. If this is the case, you probably won't be able to use it with this motor as there isn't enough space on the shaft to fit the backplate, prop, and retaining nut.
Ok, I’ll try without spacer. The spacer is stuck and I can’t get it out of prop. I’m digging myself a hole!

Was not able to remove spacer but I got the prop back farther and the little spinner on. Now I have to figure out how to tighten screw it on. I wish flighttest would label things for stupid people like me haha!

RC Fly Time

That does look good, as long as the prop doesn't spin if you hold the motor and try to spin the prop with your finger.
@skymaster with all of the props I've had, none of them had the spacer insert whole (I'm assuming that's what you are referring to) on the leading side of a prop

Bricks

Master member
To pop the spacer out use an exacto knife back edge of knife or small screw driver, next time check and see what size it takes to fit the motor shaft you are using, the spacer always goes towards the motor unless it is a pusher. Depending on motor and prop some may not need the plastic spacer. Good reminder just because you get extra parts does not mean you will use all of them.

To pop the spacer out use an exacto knife back edge of knife or small screw driver, next time check and see what size it takes to fit the motor shaft you are using, the spacer always goes towards the motor unless it is a pusher. Depending on motor and prop some may not need the plastic spacer. Good reminder just because you get extra parts does not mean you will use all of them.
Thank you so much for your help. Looks like I managed to get it on with the spacer. I tried to remove the spacer with an x-acto knife but the only thing I accomplished was chewing up the prop and spacer. It was because of that I was able to push the prop all the way back and there’s enough room for the silver spinner cap (I have no idea what to call it)

Attachments

• 17A77D06-C796-408E-BEB5-9894D40889BA.jpeg
    17A77D06-C796-408E-BEB5-9894D40889BA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Thank you so much for your help. Looks like I managed to get it on with the spacer. I tried to remove the spacer with an x-acto knife but the only thing I accomplished was chewing up the prop and spacer. It was because of that I was able to push the prop all the way back and there’s enough room for the silver spinner cap (I have no idea what to call it)

Well at least it will be easier to pry the prop off once you break it then pull the spacer. :love: Some can be a bit of a b-tch to get back out.

Tench745

Master member

That's called a "spinner nut" because it functions as the prop-nut and looks like a spinner.