NEED HELP REPLACING A SPORT CUB S MOTOR

Aviationist172

So my friend and I flew his Horizon Hobby sport cub S late last summer, and he nose dived, and wrecked it. The foam in the front came off, and the tail got completely ripped off. So today I finally came around to fix it, I fixed the tail, only to find i had another problem, the throttle wouldnt work. So i launched it anyways to see if itd glide. The motor ended up coming out mid flight, and i can't even bind it anymore. So how do I replace the motor, and how do i fix the binding issue? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20180316_151551.jpg
    20180316_151551.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180316_151701.jpg
    20180316_151701.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 20180316_151309.jpg
    20180316_151309.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Bricks

Master member
Not sure about the bind mode the motor part is I would use foam tack and just glue it back in. Try and align as best you can the Cub S is darn forgiving. I would not use hot melt adds to much weight and the heat has a tendency to melt that foam or at least make it very soft..

Aviationist172

Thanks for the answer, so it turns out I broke the motor. We were able to get it to bind, thank goodness. But now I just can't get the prop off

Bricks

Master member
The prop just presses on should be able to pull it off if you happen to have one of the small quad prop pullers it will get it off.

tcalico

The prop actually THREADS on the shaft, it does not pull off. Clamp the shaft and twist CCW to remove. The Cub S in decent plane on a calm day, but the nose is very weak. Foam safe white Gorilla glue works good on the foam. I ran a couple of BBQ skewers through the foam under the motor about 1" into the fuselage, after the last nose breaking crash. Make sure the motor installs with little down and to the right thrust angle. At least the stock motors are cheap.

Bricks

Master member
The prop actually THREADS on the shaft, it does not pull off. Clamp the shaft and twist CCW to remove. The Cub S in decent plane on a calm day, but the nose is very weak. Foam safe white Gorilla glue works good on the foam. I ran a couple of BBQ skewers through the foam under the motor about 1" into the fuselage, after the last nose breaking crash. Make sure the motor installs with little down and to the right thrust angle. At least the stock motors are cheap.

Whoops thanks for straightening me out I forgot I replaced the motor in my Cub.

Wingman04

Thanks for the answer, so it turns out I broke the motor. We were able to get it to bind, thank goodness. But now I just can't get the prop off
The propeller SCREWS on and off with normal threads. Do not go ripping on it if you plan to use it on your new motor. I use needle nose pliers to hold the shaft while I simply unscrew the propeller.

I use EPP Foam Safe glue that I get at my local hobby store. It is very thick and you only need a little bit.

The top half of my nose got to the point I totally cut it off (I like to try stupid stunts with it :eek:) and made a simple "Built Up" nose out of foam board. Looks pretty good and flies fine.

Gforcepdx

So my friend and I flew his Horizon Hobby sport cub S late last summer, and he nose dived, and wrecked it. The foam in the front came off, and the tail got completely ripped off. So today I finally came around to fix it, I fixed the tail, only to find i had another problem, the throttle wouldnt work. So i launched it anyways to see if itd glide. The motor ended up coming out mid flight, and i can't even bind it anymore. So how do I replace the motor, and how do i fix the binding issue? Thanks in advance
I have a question about the brick in the photo. I have the same brick and do not know where the twisted orange wire goes to.