Solved Need help with electronics

Hi, I'm pretty new to RC, only started about 3 months ago. I bought a WLToys F949 Cessna 182 trainer, that taught me the basics of flying. I'm ready to move on, and I'm building my own plane (a flying wing). However, the electronics just confuse me. I have already bought a transmitter and receiver (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-F...908508&hash=item442c6b5a96:g:uQQAAOSwxdNb3abJ).

However, I have no idea which esc, motor, propeller, servos and battery to go for. There are way too many to choose from and the information out there is just overwhelming and confusing. I have already built the frame of the wing. Dimensions are:
Wing span: 70cm
Root chord: 17cm
Tip chord: 8cm
Sweep: Around 25 degrees
The weight of the plane, even with all the electronics installed, I highly doubt will exceed 300g.

Can someone give me advice on the electronics I should use? It doesn't have to make the plane fast or extreme in any way. In fact I would very much prefer an underpowered plane to an overpowered one that's too fast and hard to control for a noob like me. Any advice on the electronics would be helpful.

Arcfyre

Elite member
@Kendalf is correct, but if you aren't looking for a power pack:

An 1806 motor with around 2500 kv or so with 5x4 prop if using 3S LiPo, 6x4 if using 2S.

15Amp ESC with your connection of choice (EC3, XT60 are common)

Battery will be your biggest decision, for a bird that size I'd probably pick a 700 mAh 3S. You'd have to find a brand that works with the connector on your ESC unless you're comfortable soldering new connectors on a battery.

3.7 or 9g servos would work fine. Brand doesn't really matter. I tend to go cheap. Check Amazon, you can get a 10 pack for around $18.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Hi, I'm pretty new to RC, only started about 3 months ago. I bought a WLToys F949 Cessna 182 trainer, that taught me the basics of flying. I'm ready to move on, and I'm building my own plane (a flying wing). However, the electronics just confuse me. I have already bought a transmitter and receiver (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-F...908508&hash=item442c6b5a96:g:uQQAAOSwxdNb3abJ).

However, I have no idea which esc, motor, propeller, servos and battery to go for. There are way too many to choose from and the information out there is just overwhelming and confusing. I have already built the frame of the wing. Dimensions are:
Wing span: 70cm
Root chord: 17cm
Tip chord: 8cm
Sweep: Around 25 degrees
The weight of the plane, even with all the electronics installed, I highly doubt will exceed 300g.

Can someone give me advice on the electronics I should use? It doesn't have to make the plane fast or extreme in any way. In fact I would very much prefer an underpowered plane to an overpowered one that's too fast and hard to control for a noob like me. Any advice on the electronics would be helpful.

Let me start by welcoming you to the Flite Test family. :) You're going to find loads of advice given here for all of your projects you may be building. :)

I'm going to start by suggesting a website that will help you answer 99.9% of your questions regarding prop, motor, ESC, and battery, regardless of the plane you are working on:

https://ecalc.ch

It doesn't list EVERY motor combination in existence, but it'll get you close. You can use this to "bench test" the amount of thrust, amperage, power usage, and more, based on the combinations. It's not EXACT, but it will at least prevent you from "releasing the magic blue smoke" with your electronics. :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Let me start by welcoming you to the Flite Test family. :) You're going to find loads of advice given here for all of your projects you may be building. :)

I'm going to start by suggesting a website that will help you answer 99.9% of your questions regarding prop, motor, ESC, and battery, regardless of the plane you are working on:

https://ecalc.ch

It doesn't list EVERY motor combination in existence, but it'll get you close. You can use this to "bench test" the amount of thrust, amperage, power usage, and more, based on the combinations. It's not EXACT, but it will at least prevent you from "releasing the magic blue smoke" with your electronics. :)
Bookmarked. Thank you.

sprzout

Mentor
Bookmarked. Thank you.

No prob. There is some free stuff with it, and they charge like, $6-$7 for a YEAR for planes. The savings from buying ONE wrong motor that I can’t return, or frying an ESC because I matched things up wrong? WELL worth it in my books. 😁

Brianna81

No prob. There is some free stuff with it, and they charge like, $6-$7 for a YEAR for planes. The savings from buying ONE wrong motor that I can’t return, or frying an ESC because I matched things up wrong? WELL worth it in my books. 😁

I went to the site and pretended to know what I was doing when it came to all of the information on there. The website apparently knew that I didn't know anything, and so it never gave me any recommendations at all no matter what options I chose. But then again, I didn't really know what I was doing so I probably just confused it.

sprzout

Mentor
I went to the site and pretended to know what I was doing when it came to all of the information on there. The website apparently knew that I didn't know anything, and so it never gave me any recommendations at all no matter what options I chose. But then again, I didn't really know what I was doing so I probably just confused it.

It won't give you recommendations; you need to test motor combinations that you're thinking of, and see if it will work. For example, the EMax GT2215/10 with a 30 amp ESC and a 2200mAh 30C battery and a 9 inch prop with a 4.5 pitch; this is a pretty common combination for the Power Pack C that Flite Test makes.

Reactions: FDS