Need help with FT Scout

FastCrash45

Elite member
Hello, everybody.
Maybe this isn't the right place to hang this but don't find another place.
I am building the Simple Scout using cardboard because where I live there is no foamboard. But I have seen that in the FT plans, the engine is mounted without any incidence. I checked the building video many times and i can't see it.
Am i missing something??? Anyone can help me???
thanks..
View attachment 124007 View attachment 124008 View attachment 124009
I can't remember which video it was but Josh said the larger planes don't have any. The mini scout has quite a bit. I don't know if the simple scout qualifies as a "larger plane" but having built several glow fuel planes from balsa, they all had incidence built in. I don't think you can go wrong by adding a degree of right and down incidence. I just don't know because the mini scout is the first foamy I've ever made.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Hello, everybody.
Maybe this isn't the right place to hang this but don't find another place.
I am building the Simple Scout using cardboard because where I live there is no foamboard. But I have seen that in the FT plans, the engine is mounted without any incidence. I checked the building video many times and i can't see it.
Am i missing something??? Anyone can help me???
thanks..
View attachment 124007 View attachment 124008 View attachment 124009
That's a nice job you're doing!!

cdfigueredo

Elite member
thanks FastCrash45
As you, i have built some models, not balsa, but EPP, and all have down-side incidence between 1-2 degrees. Was simply concern about not finding this on the FT original plans :).
I will try it just like it is now, and then i will add some incidence if is needed. :cool:
thanks again to you guys.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Some progress.
IMG_20190214_074616.jpg IMG_20190214_074703.jpg IMG_20190214_074545.jpg IMG_20190214_074719.jpg

cdfigueredo

Elite member
i have an issue...
this is the problem. Wings and horizontal estabilizer are not parallel... the diference is not to much. but i am concer about the efects it coud bring during the flight. See the pict for more info.
IMG_20190214_074649.jpg
Remember i am working with cardboard which is more flexible and soffter than foamboard. what could i do to fix that? or by the other hand, will it a mayor problem during flight? or could it be solved with some trim?
Help please

FastCrash45

Elite member
That is nice work! As a general rule I always measure from back wing tip to the front nose on that side then repeat and adjust for the other side until equal. Then for the stab i go from same corners on the wing to the front corners of the stab. Should come out to have the same distance from fuselage to each wing tip. Same for the stab. Adjust all as necessary and as close as possible.

FastCrash45

Elite member
i have an issue...
this is the problem. Wings and horizontal estabilizer are not parallel... the diference is not to much. but i am concer about the efects it coud bring during the flight. See the pict for more info.
View attachment 124109
Remember i am working with cardboard which is more flexible and soffter than foamboard. what could i do to fix that? or by the other hand, will it a mayor problem during flight? or could it be solved with some trim?
Help please
I'd give it a gentle twist to correct it as much as possible but you should be able to adjust with trim and if you dont have enough trim available then remount the servo arm to get the trim needed.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
That is nice work! As a general rule I always measure from back wing tip to the front nose on that side then repeat and adjust for the other side until equal. Then for the stab i go from same corners on the wing to the front corners of the stab. Should come out to have the same distance from fuselage to each wing tip. Same for the stab. Adjust all as necessary and as close as possible.

i gess my problem is that the fuse is a bit twisted at the tail section... distances from wings-fuse wings-stab are right just a bit twist... how could that affect the flght??

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I'd give it a gentle twist to correct it as much as possible but you should be able to adjust with trim and if you dont have enough trim available then remount the servo arm to get the trim needed.
problem is how to twist the fuse and hold it into the new position...??? sorry for my english.. :rolleyes:

FastCrash45

Elite member
problem is how to twist the fuse and hold it into the new position...??? sorry for my english.. :rolleyes:
You're English is just fine. Since it's cardboard if you twist it just past where it needs to be it should stay. Past that, trimming in flite should get it flying fine.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
You're English is just fine. Since it's cardboard if you twist it just past where it needs to be it should stay. Past that, trimming in flite should get it flying fine.
Will try it as a first aproach. if it does not work, i will try to use some barbeque sticks to force the stabilizer to the right position, something like they do in the tail of FT Explorer. it won;t be beauty but it should work fine.
If it does'n work either i will let this to the trimers :p.

the truth is that it is a rush scratch building just for testing the material because here i can;t find foamboard, just EPP. and i want to try FT building technique.
Hope it works fine.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Will try it as a first aproach. if it deos not work, i will try to use some barbeque sticks to force the stabilizer to the right position, something like they do in the tail of FT Explorer. it won;t be beauty but it should work fine.
If it does'n work either i will let this to the trimers :p.

the truth is that it is a rush scratch building just for testing the material because here i can;t find foamboard, just EPP. and i want to try FT building technique.
Hope it works fine.
The beauty is the plane flying, if it flies it's beautiful!! Good luck and happy maiden. I think it will work just fine.

Kendalf

What you could do is put a slit in the fuselage on the high side of the elevator hold it straight and reglue it. Might have to take a little material out of the slit until it sits level.
That's what I did on my first Tiny Trainer that had an unlevel tail! Seemed to help.