Need help with FT Scout

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I made it.
5.jpg
4.jpg
The cardboard FT Scout flew. not as expected, but well enough ;)
Scout takeoff nice but with some thing weird.. i gess the battery-ESC-motor combo was too heavy. but CG was in the right place. was fun to fly but very very unstable... i don't know why. i landed it because reciver was hanging out of the fuse.
In the second try, a friend was flying his t-28 at same time and the plane came over us (my wife and me) so for a few seconds I lost sight of the plane, and it was too late to save it. i crached it on the grass
end.jpg

FastCrash45

Elite member
When you say unstable was it diving up and down or hawing back and forth? If your area is surrounded by trees where you above them? I've been in areas where there was no wind at the ground but above tree level it was nothing but turbulent air. I've seen it and felt it when I. Was flying in my brothers aeronca champ he used to fly. That was a fun airplane to get in and zoom around in.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
When you say unstable was it diving up and down or hawing back and forth? If your area is surrounded by trees where you above them? I've been in areas where there was no wind at the ground but above tree level it was nothing but turbulent air. I've seen it and felt it when I. Was flying in my brothers aeronca champ he used to fly. That was a fun airplane to get in and zoom around in.
Well, the field where i fly is a clear land, there are no threes near. was not windy at all yesterday when i flew it. I gess it was just too heavy.. but i dont know what really was. Diving randomly and must be corrected at every moment. no lineal quite fly. :rolleyes:

FastCrash45

Elite member
That should be more than enough prop. I don't see with how clean the build was that it would have been too heavy.

FastCrash45

Elite member
Does sound a bit heavy. I'm not sure though. It does seem that if it was flying it was more of a control surface issue. The unsealed tail feathers would, in my humble opinion been a problem. Catching air then releasing it would have given the diving proplems. Again, just my humble opinion. You made a clean airplane and it was flying. That's a thumbs up build.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Does sound a bit heavy. I'm not sure though. It does seem that if it was flying it was more of a control surface issue. The unsealed tail feathers would, in my humble opinion been a problem. Catching air then releasing it would have given the diving proplems. Again, just my humble opinion. You made a clean airplane and it was flying. That's a thumbs up build.
Thanks.
I met the objective, which was to test whether the carton really worked to make FT-style aircraft. And it works. Some adjustments may have to be made for a new project, but overall the experiment was a success. :cool::cool:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I am in full agreement with FastCrash45. The crash was unfortunate but you met the goals you set for yourself, and overall it sounds like it was a definite success. Well done!

It's not my time or energy, but I think it'd be worth testing FashCrash45's theory. Build another and seal off the corrugation with some cellophane tape. Some of our forum family have a difficult time finding suitable building material. They may benefit greatly if you are able to perfect your technique.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I am in full agreement with FastCrash45. The crash was unfortunate but you met the goals you set for yourself, and overall it sounds like it was a definite success. Well done!

It's not my time or energy, but I think it'd be worth testing FashCrash45's theory. Build another and seal off the corrugation with some cellophane tape. Some of our forum family have a difficult time finding suitable building material. They may benefit greatly if you are able to perfect your technique.

Thank you very much for your kind words.
I think this will inspire me to take on the challenge a second time. This time I will take the necessary precautions.
I will post photos of the advances. I hope I can help others here in FT.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very nicely done! :D

One thing that could have been effecting you also is if the control surfaces were flexing during flight. I've had this happen when the servo rods were able to flex, and when the control surface itself wasn't stiff enough.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
Very nicely done! :D

One thing that could have been effecting you also is if the control surfaces were flexing during flight. I've had this happen when the servo rods were able to flex, and when the control surface itself wasn't stiff enough.

Hey... I hadn't thought that. :unsure::unsure::unsure:
The control rods were rigid enough, but the carton is really flexible. Maybe this was the cause of the random movements.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
It looks like its tail heavy. You need more weight in the nose. Can you move the battery forward?