Need help with Graupner mz-10

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I need some help to get my Graupner mz-10 transmitter to bind with the Graupner GR-12L receiver. I was getting ready to maiden my scout trainer with the help of a friend. But for some reason the plane was not responding to the transmitter. So the maiden flight was called off. I started going thru the plane. The best I can figure out is that the receiver is not bond to the transmitter. The LED on the receiver lights up when the battery is plugged in. But the bind light does not come on the transmitter when it is powered up. Also no beeps. The transmitter batteries are new and I checked them with a volt meter to make sure the batteries are really good. The is reason why I think the two are not bond together. The switch in the upper right corner is in the normal position. I have not been able to find a video or any instructions on line to help with binding. The manual ( page 9 ) is useless at best. What is the binding plug for ? The manual does not say a thing about the binding plug. Any ideas of where to look for help ?

Al

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I have no experience with a Graupner Tx. This is generally how it works.

First remove the prop and keep it off until you have proven you have control of the plane.
If your Rx has a channel marked bind, install the plug there. If there is no bind channel, install the bind plug in any channel. The bind plug shorts the signal pin and the ground pin. Then power the Rx, the light will blink rapidly, indicating the Rx is now in bind mode.

If your Tx has a bind button, hold it down while tuning on the Tx. If there is no bind button, turn on the Tx and go to the bind function in the menu. When you get a bind the light on the Rx will go solid.

Power off the Tx, power off the Rx, remove the bind plug. This will get both the Rx & Tx out of bind mode. Power on the Tx, power on the Rx, you should now have control. Try moving the stick, the plane should respond.

The order is important, some Rx’s will not enter bind mode if the Tx is on. Sometimes you have to move the Tx a few feet away to get a bind.

It’s possible the Rx & Tx were never bound. If the Rx continues to lose it bind, it indicates damage & is should be replaced

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
You don't need to use a bind plug for the Gr-12,
To bind the radio press & hold the SET button on the receiver for at least 3 sec, then press the MODE button on the transmitter, the system will be connected within a few seconds. Once connected, the bind LED on the transmitter should turn solid orange and the status LED on the receiver will turn solid red.

alan0043

You don't need to use a bind plug for the Gr-12,
To bind the radio press & hold the SET button on the receiver for at least 3 sec, then press the MODE button on the transmitter, the system will be connected within a few seconds. Once connected, the bind LED on the transmitter should turn solid orange and the status LED on the receiver will turn solid red.

So far no binding going on. I have tried several times with no luck. The crazy thing is that the transmitter and receiver were bond at one time but not now. The word Graupner on the transmitter flashes two times in a row ( the color is red ) and keeps flashing two times in a row. Is that some kind of code that there is some think not right with the transmitter ?

Al

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
So far no binding going on. I have tried several times with no luck. The crazy thing is that the transmitter and receiver were bond at one time but not now. The word Graupner on the transmitter flashes two times in a row ( the color is red ) and keeps flashing two times in a row. Is that some kind of code that there is some think not right with the transmitter ?

Al
How close is your radio to the receiver? I need my transmitter to be 2-3 feet from the receiver for it to bind.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hmm that's weird. On my MZ-12 and GR-12 I hold the bind button on the receiver for around 3 sec, then I'll press the bind button on the transmitter, after I press the bind button on the transmitter I'll hold the receiver button for another sec before letting go. It always works for me the first or second time.
Maybe you could try something similar? Do you have your servos plugged in so you can test if the Tx and Rx bound?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Alright so I went through some updated manuals and this is what I found

When binding, make sure that the transmitter antenna is always far enough away (1 to 2 meters) from the receiver antenna(s).
Note The mz-10 HoTT can only be bound in "NORMAL" use mode. Make sure, before starting the "binding" process, that the transmitter is in this use mode. Binding step by step

1. Switch the transmitter on and connect the power supply to the receiver. The BIND LED of the transmitter remains dark and the red LED of the receiver GR-12L lights up constantly. There is no contact with the transmitter.

2. Press and hold the receiver's SET button for approx. 3 seconds to turn the receiver GR-12L to bind it to the bind mode. The red LED turns off.
3. Push the MODE button on the already switched on the mz-10 HoTT transmitter. If the red LED of the GR-12L receiver goes out within about 10 seconds and the green LED is illuminated, the binding process has been completed successfully. Your transmitter/receiver combination is ready for operation. If the red LED of the receiver lights constantly and the yellow BIND LED of the transmitter remains dark, the binding operation failed. Change the positions of the antenna and try the entire procedure again.

Is your transmitter in normal mode?

alan0043

Alright so I went through some updated manuals and this is what I found

When binding, make sure that the transmitter antenna is always far enough away (1 to 2 meters) from the receiver antenna(s).
Note The mz-10 HoTT can only be bound in "NORMAL" use mode. Make sure, before starting the "binding" process, that the transmitter is in this use mode. Binding step by step

1. Switch the transmitter on and connect the power supply to the receiver. The BIND LED of the transmitter remains dark and the red LED of the receiver GR-12L lights up constantly. There is no contact with the transmitter.

2. Press and hold the receiver's SET button for approx. 3 seconds to turn the receiver GR-12L to bind it to the bind mode. The red LED turns off.
3. Push the MODE button on the already switched on the mz-10 HoTT transmitter. If the red LED of the GR-12L receiver goes out within about 10 seconds and the green LED is illuminated, the binding process has been completed successfully. Your transmitter/receiver combination is ready for operation. If the red LED of the receiver lights constantly and the yellow BIND LED of the transmitter remains dark, the binding operation failed. Change the positions of the antenna and try the entire procedure again.

Is your transmitter in normal mode?

Hi Griffyer,

Thank you for the help. Right now with all of your help I am still at square 1. Nothing seems to respond to any changes. The transmitter is in the normal mode. If you mean normal by the trainer toggle switch in the upper right corner, it is in the normal position. Do you think that something went wrong with the receiver ? The receiver does have the LED light up solid red.

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

A little update ( 11/10 about 10:35 am ). I thought I had nothing to lose. So I tried to re-do the Fail Safe. I got out my manual and followed the instructions on page 10. Guess what happened. I now have a transmitter and receiver bond together. Some how the transmitter was not in the Fail Safe mode. Maybe this could help someone else out if all fails.

Al

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi Everyone,

A little update ( 11/10 about 10:35 am ). I thought I had nothing to lose. So I tried to re-do the Fail Safe. I got out my manual and followed the instructions on page 10. Guess what happened. I now have a transmitter and receiver bond together. Some how the transmitter was not in the Fail Safe mode. Maybe this could help someone else out if all fails.

Al
Awesome, congrats!!

RLZ

Hi allan0043,

I have the same issue that you initially had. I actually bought a Graupner V-venture Plane that came with a Mz-10 Tx and a Gr-12L Rx in 2015 and got so frustrated that I stopped bothering. Now with more time on my hand I wanted to pick up the project but after spending hours online to look for a solution for my binding problem I am about to give up again. I tried all of the above and more and it just doesn’t bind. Rx shows red LED and Tx no LED. Please let me know if you have anymore wisdom of what might be wrong other than defect components.
(Btw occasionally there seems to be a connection and I can rev the motor and move some servos but it’s all a bit out of synch)

alan0043

Hi allan0043,

I have the same issue that you initially had. I actually bought a Graupner V-venture Plane that came with a Mz-10 Tx and a Gr-12L Rx in 2015 and got so frustrated that I stopped bothering. Now with more time on my hand I wanted to pick up the project but after spending hours online to look for a solution for my binding problem I am about to give up again. I tried all of the above and more and it just doesn’t bind. Rx shows red LED and Tx no LED. Please let me know if you have anymore wisdom of what might be wrong other than defect components.
(Btw occasionally there seems to be a connection and I can rev the motor and move some servos but it’s all a bit out of synch)

Hi RLZ,

Sorry for the late post. I do not have any wisdom to part. I hope you have the manual for the transmitter (see page 10 ). Check the position of all of your switches. Also make sure you keep your transmitter 3 to 4 feet apart from the receiver. I had to read my manual about a dozen times for the info to sink in. Some how things worked out but I don't know how. I am a rookie with the rc hobby.

Sorry for the late reply. Wish you the best of luck.
Al

FDS

Elite member
Also check the antennae on the receiver and transmitter for damage. If you are able to move servos even a bit with it then it’s bound on some level, since it won’t move anything without that.